totalcmd crashes when open network share without credentials

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

franc

totalcmd crashes when open network share without credentials

Post by *franc »

Hallo

on my Windows 8.1 (64-Bit) PC I have a network share on my NAS as Drive A:
Normally I do Hibernate and no shut down, but sometimes when I start my PC the hibernate has gone and the PC starts completely.
I think especially when that happens the credentials for the NAS-Share is gone and I have to enter it again (yes, I check the remember permanently).
I think this is a Windows issue, I tried once to solve it and searched a bit but in vain.

And this is the reproducable situation when Total Commander 9.22a 64-Bit crashes:
In totalcmd I try to open the NAS-Tab (it is a fixed tab) but Windows asks me now for credentials, so I input them and when I hit the 'OK' Button Totalcmd crashes every time. I could Debug (there is a Button for it in the crash MessageBox) but this is not helpful for me :)

This is since several versions of totalcmd, I don't remember when it started.

Is this wellknown, can I do something or at least to clear the exact circumstances?

Thanks.
frank
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Re: totalcmd crashes when open network share without credentials

Post by *sqa_wizard »

I could Debug (there is a Button for it in the crash MessageBox) but this is not helpful for me
What do you expect?
The debug info may not helpful for you, but this info is the only clue which helps the author to determine the cause ...
#5767 Personal license
franc

Post by *franc »

Here some screenshots, when I need to enter my credentials (when this dialog pops up, there was already a crash-dialog shortly flashing up in the background):
Windows Sicherheit

This time I didnt enter the share-login and I pressed Cancel ('Abbrechen'). The result is the same, totalcmd crashes:
Total Commander funktioniert nicht mehr

When I hit the debug button this opens my Visual Studio 2012 and it stops here:
00007FFA23321CD0 jmp RtlReportCriticalFailure+8Eh (07FFA23321CD2h)
and I get this also:
Microsoft Visual Studio
when I click the continue button it stops again the same address (00007FFA23321CD0), continue not possible.

What is new for me is that it makes no difference if I enter the credentials or not. After restart of totalcmd I can open the network-share without login!
So it must be a bug in totalcmd when killed (by this unexpected reboot, see above).
To ask for the Windows-Dialog for login to the share (192.168.0.100) must be a mistake, I guess.

Thanks!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's a known crash happening in the Windows credentials dialog with some display drivers. The only way to fix it is to avoid the Windows dialog and use our own user name and password dialogs:
wincmd.ini
[Configuration]
UseShellConnect=-1

However, this only works in network paths with share, e.g. \\server\share . When you go without credentials to \\server directly to view the list of shares, then Windows itself will show its credentials dialog and crash.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
franc

Post by *franc »

Thanks, I added it to my wincmd.ini

So it is not a totalcmd bug but a Windows / Display-driver bug?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately yes. So far I couldn't find a workaround. :(
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com