wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

TC closes on connection to network share

Post by *wanderer »

Here is the case:

- Windows XP (yes i know) in a vbox VM.
- TC 9.22a (x32 of course).

CTRL + D, I have saved a certain network dir and also the "target dir", which is also a networked one (actually it's the same PC, accessed via network (C$)). The main dir requires a password to connect because the currently logged in used does not have access to that network share.

As soon as i "CTRL + D" and then click on that dir, TC just closes - no error message. In the dir menu, i added the same directory in a new entry, without the "target dir" though. Clicking on that, it works as expected, it asks for a username and password.

P.S.: I don't know if this happens on other OSs, it's not easy to test atm, from the general behavior though, it doesn't seem to be os-dependent.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: TC closes on connection to network share

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Would the target also require a user name and password? It sounds like the two dialogs interfere with each other somehow.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

No, the target is the pc i'm on, i just accessed it via network instead of accessing the drive directly.

To better explain it, i'm using the same INI in both PCs, so i entered both drives as network shares.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Try setting
UseShellConnect=-1
in wincmd.ini under [Configuration] - this tells TC to use its own user name and password dialogs. I had some reports that the Windows dialog crashes with certain display drivers.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

I tried "UseShellConnect=-1" today. I don't know if the display driver is to be blamed, but this setting fixed the problem. With TC's own dialogs, no crashes.
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2019-09-23, 13:49 UTCI had some reports that the Windows dialog crashes with certain display drivers.
Thanks for the tip Christian.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just a warning: It will still crash if you try to go to \\servername and not directly to \\servername\share (or network drive letter pointing to it), because Windows will display its own connect dialog automatically when you try to open \\servername.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

OK, Christian, thanks.

I have removed the "UseShellConnect=-1" setting from my INI however, because i realized that without it, when the password was the same in both PCs, TC connected directly without displaying any Windows password dialog. When i introduced "UseShellConnect=-1", TC always displayed its own dialog, even when the password was the same in both CPs and it could connect without asking for it.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯