text menu items are Shift when the translated string is long.

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

krapet

text menu items are Shift when the translated string is long.

Post by *krapet »

I discovered this error when I tried to edit an existing translation (WCMD_EN.LNG file).

Sometimes the full translation may not be completely understandable and it may be useful to know the English original, which I tried to add.
I modified the strings 1579 and 1580.

Although the change was syntactically correct, the contents of the displayed menu were incorrect.
Some chains were completely different than I expected. As if they were used in another part.
This extra shift can also cause one extra embedded character.

It seems that the reason is the length of the translated string.

OK for:

Code: Select all

1579="Celý název|Název|Přípona|comment (komentář)|Velikost|creationdate (vytvoření)|creationtime (vytvoření)|writedate (úprava)|writetime (úprava)|accessdate (přístup)|accesstime (pří)|Atributy číselnou hodnotou|Atributy písmeny|Archivovat|Jen pro čtení|Skrytý|Systémový"
1580="compressed (komprimovaný)|encrypted (šifrovaný)|sparse (zřídka)|Označení verze|Číslo verze|Typ souboru|bajty|kilobajty|megabajty|gigabajty|Datový soubor|Složka|Bod změny zpracování|Název v systému DOS|Cesta|Složka (atribut)|Offline"
After adding one character, the menu items have been shifted by one text:

1579="Celý název|Název|Přípona|comment (komentář)|Velikost|creationdate (vytvoření)|creationtime (vytvoření)|writedate (úprava)|writetime (úprava)|accessdate (přístup)|accesstime (přís)|Atributy číselnou hodnotou|Atributy písmeny|Archivovat|Jen pro čtení|Skrytý|Systémový"
1580="compressed (komprimovaný)|encrypted (šifrovaný)|sparse (zřídka)|Označení verze|Číslo verze|Typ souboru|bajty|kilobajty|megabajty|gigabajty|Datový soubor|Složka|Bod změny zpracování|Název v systému DOS|Cesta|Složka (atribut)|Offline"
After adding more characters to the translation, the menu items have been shifted by several texts:

1579="Celý název|Název|Přípona|comment (komentář)|Velikost|creationdate (datum vytvoření)|creationtime (čas vytvoření)|writedate (datum poslední úpravy)|writetime (čas poslední úprav)|accessdate (datum posledního přístupu)|accesstime (čas posledního přístupu)|Atributy číselnou hodnotou|Atributy písmeny|Archivovat|Jen pro čtení|Skrytý|Systémový"
See screenshots: https://photos.app.goo.gl/rvjCUnS8nNht6d2s5

Regards,
Petr
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Shift text menu items when the translated string is long.

Post by *Dalai »

Which codepage did you specify in this language file? See other existing language files for reference.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
krapet

Re: text menu items are Shift when the translated string is long.

Post by *krapet »

File:
WCMD_CZ.LNG
starts with:
Čeština (Czech)
codepage=1250

Codepage is not a problem.
I did a similar test (I extended some items) with WCMD_DEU.LNG. The result is the same problem.
But when I compared WCMD_EN.LNG with WCMD_DEU.LNG, I found that 1580 does not begin by translating the word "compressed" (as in 1579) as WCMD_EN.LNG.
So I tried to move some of the text from the end of string 1579 to the beginning of string 1580 in WCMD_EN.LNG. It helped!

Now I see a possible cause of the problem.
If the "|" (pipeline) separator is after position 256, it is not recognized. It can also be a limit of 256 (255) characters for whole string.
If such a restriction exists, an error message should be displayed when it is occur.

Further I don't understand why the '.' (dot character) is not allowed in translation. See screenshot.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Well, the question about the string length and the dot can probably only be answered by Ghisler.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Have you tried with the DifRes tool whether it finds any duplicate strings?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Ah, I see - yes, there is such a length limit. Since 1580 is so much shorter than 1579, try moving strings from the end of 1579 to the beginning of 1580.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com