after deleting multiple files, cursor doesn't move to the next file

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

shawn

after deleting multiple files, cursor doesn't move to the next file

Post by *shawn »

Normally, if you have 10 files in a folder, and you delete the first 2 files, the cursor should move to the third file.

I am using 9.22a, under Configuration -> Operation -> Copy/Delete, If I enable any of the bottom two option:
"Using Explorer delete method" or "F8/Del deletes to recycle bin"
the cursor doesn't moves to the third file, but the 4th file.

If the two options are both disabled, it's back to normal, but I cannot use recycle bin function.

This bug seems only happen on 9.22a. I tried 8.51 and 7.56, and they are both fine. (Win 7 x64. TC x86 version)

Any ideas?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
update 2019-11-13 :

This bug exists on 9.22a to 9.50B5. x64 or x86, or windows version is irrelevant.
To trigger this bug, select multiple files and then move the current file to the middle of the selection, then delete. For example, chose 1, 2, 3, then hit arrow key move the cursor up from 3 to 2, and then hit delete.

A video of the bug is here, about 30 seconds long:
https://youtu.be/8Ob6S0rmHcg
Last edited by shawn on 2019-11-14, 03:49 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: after deleting multiple files, cursor doesn't move to the next file

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately TC cannot track what is deleted and what isn't when using the Explorer delete method.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
shawn

Post by *shawn »

I only enabled "F8/Del deletes to recycle bin", which is NOT Explorer mode, correct? If you delete the first N files (N>1), the cursor doesn't move to the N+1 file.
The issue only happens on 9.22a, and the previous versions are fine. Why?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update:
Here is how you reproduce this issue: (TC 9.22a 32bit, win7 64bit)
1. Put files 001.jpg, 002.jpg, 003.jpg, … 010.jpg in one folder
2. Set the options as default:
unselect "Using Explorer delete method", and select "F8/Del deletes to recycle bin")
3. Delete multiple files and see the cursor moves. For example:
When delete 1,2,3,4,5, it moves to 10! (it should move to 6)
When delete 1, 3, 5, it moves to 8 (it should move to 6)
When delete 1, 2, 4, 6, it moves to 10 (it should move to 7)
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

Do you mean the cursor bar on the file list or the mouse pointer? Do you use keyboard or mouse to select files and delete them?
In some cases the cursor on the list may move to the place where the mouse pointer is located.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
shawn

Post by *shawn »

Usher wrote: 2019-11-11, 16:58 UTC Do you mean the cursor bar on the file list or the mouse pointer? Do you use keyboard or mouse to select files and delete them?
In some cases the cursor on the list may move to the place where the mouse pointer is located.
Sorry if I didn't make it clear. By "cursor" I mean the file that is highlighted/selected. When you delete one file, the "cursor" moves to the next one on the list.
It doesn't matter whether you use mouse or keyboard to select multiple files to delete for this issue.
Can you reproduce the issue?
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

shawn wrote: 2019-11-11, 17:31 UTCIt doesn't matter whether you use mouse or keyboard to select multiple files to delete for this issue.
But it DOES matter where the mouse pointer is located. Move it outside of TC window and make tests again, please.
shawn wrote: 2019-11-11, 17:31 UTCCan you reproduce the issue?
No. It may be caused by non-default mouse settings, probably some variant of X-Mouse behaviour where focus follows mouse pointer.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
shawn

Post by *shawn »

Usher, that's very strange. I thought that's very easy to reproduce.
As of the mouse pointer, it doesn't change the result (where the cursor is after the deletion) no matter where I put it.
For example, if I select and delete file 001.jpg,002.jpg, the next file selected is 004, no matter where the mouse is.

If you cannot reproduce it in the full view mode(Ctrl+F2), try it in thumbnail view (Ctrl+Shift+F1). That's where I first found the issue.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

I never turn off "F8/Del deletes to recycle bin". When the cursor is on some of deleted files, it moves down to the first non-deleted one. When the cursor is on some non-selected file, it doesn't move after deletion, no matter if I use F8, Del or Shift+F8, Shift+Del.

Can you repeat your tests with fresh wincmd.ini?
Andrzej P. Wozniak
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2shawn
I also cannot reproduce what you describe. To rule out any settings problem, could you please try it with a clean ini file?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
shawn

Post by *shawn »

OK. I renamed wincmd.ini to wincmd.bak and did a test and I was able to reproduce the issue with the following steps:
1. Put multiple files in a folder and give the files’ name as 001,002,003,… 020. Leave all the options as default (Full view; “F8/Del delete to recycle bin” is on)
2. Move mouse point away and only use keyboard.
Press space key and arrow key to select 001, move down to select 003, then move up to select 002. delete, enter. 004 is highlighted, which is expected.

3. Press space and arrow key to select 004 and 006, delete, enter. After that 008 is highlighted instead of 007.

It seems the first deletion moves the cursor to the correct file, but after that, it jumps.
Hopefully, the steps above can help you reproduce this issue.
Last edited by shawn on 2019-11-12, 19:24 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

Unfortunately I could reproduce it only once. It looks like the bug occurs only when the selection is not contiguous and includes the first file on the list (and the cursor is obviously on a selected file), but I can't reproduce it any more. Now I'm not sure if it was real as currently the cursor always move to the next file when needed, no matter what keys I use - Insert or Space, F8 or Del.

I use Insert key rather than Space for selecting. Insert moves down so it requires less arrow keys and almost always puts cursor outside of selection. What is more, Insert and Delete keys are in one place on a standard keyboard, so using them is easier than Space and F8.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
shawn

Post by *shawn »

Thank you Usher for testing!
I always use space or Ctrl+mouse click to multi select files. Ins key is a nice tip.

I have done more testing, and now I have updated the step 2 above in red. If I select 1, 3 and then go back to 2, I can reproduce this bug 100%. Please give it a try.

Also, If I use space key or Ctrl+Mouse click to multi select, the bug shows. Ins key works fine without this bug. Very strange.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

shawn,
Not confirmed with the above mentioned steps, neither in TC 7.50b4 32-bit nor in 64-bit.
Windows 10 x64, clean INI.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I connot reproduce this either.

Testet in TC 9.5b4 32bit and 64bit under Windows 7 and 10 1903 with fresh ini files.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I use Insert key rather than Space for selecting. Insert moves down so it requires less arrow keys
You can make Space work like Insert with this parameter in your wincmd.ini file: SpaceMovesDown=1
License #524 (1994)