Show archive is opened by which plugin somewhere

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

funkymonk

Re: Show archive is opened by which plugin somewhere

Post by *funkymonk »

Just two simple examples out of many more:
  1. Some .exe files are installers that can be opened using a packer plugin. Just press ctrl+down on them.
    If successful, you can see the content of the file like an archive. But you don't know which plugin was used --> sometimes annoying
    If the exe is not an archive, TC sometime just continues without opening the "exe archive" (ok). But sometimes TC simply hangs. --> very annoying.

2. If you try to open a file for which the extension is not associated to a packer plugin, TC applies one packer plugin after the other until one plugin can open the file (or there is no more plugin to be tried). If a plugin fails on a file, it sometimes hags the entire TC.
    Such situations can easily happen for files that are archives but don't have a common archive extension (e.g., a zip archive in "somefile.xyz").
    If you simply try to open such a file (expecting it to be an archive) TC might hang due to a plugin that cannot handle the file.
    Again: You simply don't know which plugin is the problem.
Thus: Please show the plugin name that will be tried next in the GUI ***before*** actually calling the plugin on the file.
If TC can successfully enters the archive, you immediately know which plugin is in use.
If TC hangs, the plugin name is already visible and the user can use this information to take countermeasures ...

Of course, if TC crashes entirely, the plugin name is no longer visible. Fall-back: Put the attempt into the log file.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

funkymonk wrote: 2023-04-25, 21:23 UTC Sorry for bringing this up again...
Is there any news on this topic?
I run into this problem more and more often: TC (10.52) simply stops responding when trying to enter some files with ctrl+pgdown.
can you supply some of those files?
Hoecker sie sind raus!
funkymonk

Post by *funkymonk »

Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2023-06-28, 16:19 UTC can you supply some of those files?
Sure, I could do that. But I guess you would also need my plugins and the TC/plugins' configuration...

In the end I am not searching for a solution for specific files. I am asking for a display of the currently used plugin name.
That would be convenient even if there is no problem with an archive.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

funkymonk wrote: 2023-06-28, 22:20 UTC
Sure, I could do that. But I guess you would also need my plugins and the TC/plugins' configuration...
No to test if TC does this
funkymonk wrote: 2023-06-28, 22:20 UTC My TC hangs quite often when entering archives...
for everyone I dont. All I see now is that you dont wanna provide any of those files.
Hoecker sie sind raus!
funkymonk

Post by *funkymonk »

Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2023-06-29, 09:11 UTC No to test if TC does this
funkymonk wrote: 2023-06-28, 22:20 UTC My TC hangs quite often when entering archives...
for everyone I dont. All I see now is that you dont wanna provide any of those files.
This is partially correct.
I ask for your understanding that I am not allowed to share most of the affected files.
This often includes disk-images (e.g. img, iso, etc.) but also many other formats.

Apart from that: almost every jpg and pdf as well as various exe files lead (here) to the described problem, if you try to open them as an archive.

Before you start saying that jpg/pdf/etc. are not archives and you obviously can't open them like that:
  1. Correct! Still, the fact that this is correct doesn't help me, because:

2. In my daily work it often happens that files *don't* have the usual extension for the respective format (e.g. JPG image files with uncommon extensions like "data.ctx"). However, many of these files are actually archives. Then it is annoying if among a large number of archives there are single non-archives which then lead to the described problem just because you press ctrl+pgdn.

3. If you try to apply an action to a file that is not possible with this file or does not make sense (e.g., open a jpg as an archive) then the attempt should either be silently ignored or an error message should be displayed. In no case should an application hang or terminate in the process. I hope that the majority of people here see it that way.
    @ghisler: maybe there is a general way for you to prevent such plugins to hang TC.

4. Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2023-06-29, 09:11 UTC
    funkymonk wrote: 2023-06-28, 22:20 UTC
    No to test if TC does this
    After some testing over the last few days, I can say that the problem seems to be not in TC itself.
    TC (clean ini, no plugins) handles many otherwise problematic files in that it simply ignores the attempt to open them as an archive and does not hang.

However, that's not what this suggestion is about. The point is to find the critical plugin for a specific file among a large number of installed plugins.
    Note: It is not always the same plugin and not always the same 2 or 3. Depending on the constellation, significantly more plugins are affected.

Of course I can determine the concrete plugin with various additional debugging tools (therefore I also know that it is not always the same plugin).
    But during my daily work I simply don't have the time for that.

I am happy to support software authors and contribute to the improvement of software by reporting bugs and also describing details.
    Nevertheless: some support in diagnostics would be helpful, too!
Therefore: Once more the suggestion to simply show the used plugin.
Then users can react accordingly and also give specific feedback to the authors.

---
Why is this so important to me?
That one must shut down and restart the TC is only one consequence. You then have to reopen the previously opened tabs, navigate back to the previously active directories, etc.! This takes time every time and interrupts the workflow. On a full day one often does not have this time!

Most recently happened: today -- several times!
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

funkymonk wrote: 2023-07-01, 11:42 UTC ---
Why is this so important to me?
That one must shut down and restart the TC is only one consequence.
You then have to reopen the previously opened tabs, navigate back to the previously active directories, etc.!
This takes time every time and interrupts the workflow. On a full day one often does not have this time!
Most recently happened: today -- several times!
For me, I discovered the command: CM_EXIT 1 on this topic.
Try this command to see if it helps you.

With cm_exit you can press the ALT key and the left arrow key after a TC restart to return to the previously displayed directory.
I use tabs exclusively, "Locked, but directory changes allowed".
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

tuska wrote: 2023-07-01, 12:42 UTC For me, I discovered the command: CM_EXIT 1 on this topic.
How do you want to use this command when TC has already hanged or crashed?
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

Usher wrote: 2023-07-01, 14:25 UTC
tuska wrote: 2023-07-01, 12:42 UTC For me, I discovered the command: CM_EXIT 1 on this topic.
How do you want to use this command when TC has already hanged or crashed?
Yes, you are right.
I think that every user can imagine what happens then.

Unfortunately, I only skimmed the topic and did not read every detail very carefully. :(