Audioconverter plugin (32/64 bit)

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

rg_software

Audioconverter plugin (32/64 bit)

Post by *rg_software »

Hi all,

As far as I know there used to be only one working TC plugin for converting audio files, namely, Plotn's audioconverter. It comes without sources and supports 32-bit systems only. So I decided to design my own solution. Initially I used C#/TC.NET Interface, but after realizing the shortcomings of this approach, rewrote everything in C++. Here it is, check also the Github page. Under the hood, the plugin relies on SoX toolset.

In the current form, the plugin is just at a proof-of-concept stage, and its functionality is still more modest comparing to Plotn's plugin. However, I hope to improve it eventually :)
TychoBarfy

Re: Audioconverter plugin (32/64 bit)

Post by *TychoBarfy »

Hi,
TC 9.50 beta 10 32/64: Error while packing and configuration dialog doesn't work.
rg_software

Post by *rg_software »

TychoBarfy wrote: 2019-12-28, 04:23 UTC Hi,
TC 9.50 beta 10 32/64: Error while packing and configuration dialog doesn't work.
Thanks! Will check on my other machine as soon as I can.
Ovg
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Ovg »

Hmm... Working for me, I have not tested thoroughly though
It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.
#259941, TC 11.01 x64, Windows 7 SP1 x64
rg_software

Post by *rg_software »

TychoBarfy wrote: 2019-12-28, 04:23 UTC TC 9.50 beta 10 32/64: Error while packing and configuration dialog doesn't work.
Can't you make settings dialog appear at all? Or you just having problems while packing?
One possible reason can be this: I store and modify plugin's file inside the TC plugin folder, so you might need to run TC under administrator to make it work.

I know that doing it is not recommended, but I am still not sure whether I want to keep it there or in the dedicated user folder as suggested in the plugin writer guide. Some people here really like the possibility to copy the entire TC dir and run it from a flash drive.

I am testing the plugin on Win 10, so if you have an older system, it can be another reason...
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

rg_software wrote: 2019-12-29, 10:54 UTCI know that doing it is not recommended, but I am still not sure whether I want to keep it there or in the dedicated user folder as suggested in the plugin writer guide. Some people here really like the possibility to copy the entire TC dir and run it from a flash drive.
The solution is simple: If a settings file in the plugin dir exists, use it (I recommend to stay away from the TC directory to avoid it being cluttered, and to avoid possible collisions with other plugins). Otherwise, use the location recommended in the plugin writer guide, i.e. the same location as wincmd.ini. This way portable and non-portable TC installations can be used, and even be "converted" into each other just by copying the settings file. BTW: I use the same method in my plugins.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
rg_software

Post by *rg_software »

Dalai wrote: 2019-12-29, 13:49 UTC The solution is simple: If a settings file in the plugin dir exists, use it
The problems start when I decide to change the ini file. For example, now I show the settings menu and there is a checkbox "always show before packing". So suppose the user removes the checkmark and presses "OK". We have a settings file inside the plugin dir, and if I can't overwrite it, I use the suggested user dir. Now we have two ini files, and it seems that the latter should have priority. Maybe it's okay, but of course anyone trying to edit the ini file inside the plugin dir would be surprised to see the changes ignored...
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

rg_software wrote: 2019-12-30, 10:31 UTCSo suppose the user removes the checkmark and presses "OK". We have a settings file inside the plugin dir, and if I can't overwrite it [...]
This could only happen when a user copies the portable TC/plugin and tries to use it as a non-portable one. The chances for this happening are pretty slim IMO, and even if it happens it's the user's fault provided that the plugin behavior is documented in the plugin help/readme. Just to make it clear: The plugin should not create the settings file in the plugin dir, only use it if it's present.

Anyway, when a plugin can't write its own settings file, it should complain about it but let the user continue anyway (without saving anything). This way, the user knows about the (potential) problem and can take care of it. BTW, TC behaves exactly like that, at least in the Configuration dialog.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
TychoBarfy

Post by *TychoBarfy »

rg_software wrote: 2019-12-28, 12:47 UTC
TychoBarfy wrote: 2019-12-28, 04:23 UTC Hi,
Thanks! Will check on my other machine as soon as I can.
Sorry for my late answer. It was my fault.

I still have had the old 32-bit-only Audioconverter plugin installed and because
the file names are both the same, I think TC was confused, although I gave
a new name to your plugins folder "Audioconverter2" (old one is "Audioconverter")
Entries in the PackerPlugin section started with
audcnv= for the old one, audcnv2= for your plugin.

So I edited my PackerPlugin section in wincmd.ini and commented out the old
ones line. After restarting TC everything works fine.

Regards
TB
rg_software

Post by *rg_software »

TychoBarfy wrote: 2019-12-31, 04:21 UTC because the file names are both the same
Thanks! Well, it is my fault of course... any suggestions for a better name?
I thought to call it "Audioconverter64" first, but then I thought that the old plugin isn't supported anymore, and since 32bit systems are becoming obsolete, the new version should become "the" audioconverter.
TychoBarfy

Post by *TychoBarfy »

audio-converter or audio_converter?
sidefx88

Post by *sidefx88 »

Hi!

I'm getting some convertion problems using the old AudioConverter plugin (the output files sound at a lower pitch or bitrate, like sloooow). So, I searched for another audio converter plugin and I've found this one. I've deleted the old plugin directory from TC, and cleared all the references to it on wincmd.ini.

Unfortunatelly, I found three errors (and I've never managed to get the plugin to work):

1) Installation: when I get into the compressed file, TC offers to install the plugin. Everything works fine except in the last step. I get an error: "File audioconverter.wcx not found". I've tried disabling the antivirus. And I get the same error. Anyway, I managed to install it in the old-school way... manually (I've copied all the files and edited wincmd.ini).

2) Trying to use it: the plugin Audioconverter appears on the list of available compression plugins, but when I select some audio file(s) and select Audioconverter I can't access the plugin configuration panel :(

3) Converting: if I try to convert audio files directly, without going to the configuration panel I get another error: "Error compressing files".

I'm using Windows 10 x64 (1909), TC 9.51 32 bits.

Any tip or help?

Thanks in advance! :)
I Love Total Commander!
sidefx88

Post by *sidefx88 »

Just dropping and update:

I've tried using TC 9.51 x64 and your plugin works fine: config dialog and file conversion.

It seems that the problem is on the 32 bit version of your plugin.

Hope it helps!
I Love Total Commander!
Ashli Heith

Post by *Ashli Heith »

I THINK you can try to use a third party tool called AMusicSoft Apple Music Converter to convert music, it has a fast converting speed helped by hardware acceleration, and you can convert the whole playlist at one go
Last edited by Stefan2 on 2020-09-22, 13:34 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Prevent editing
Desadas

Post by *Desadas »

Your program has opened on my device. It seems to me that you are going in the right direction. Developing codes and plugins is not an easy job because they require compatibility with various programs. If you are not satisfied with C++, try working in JS. Many users consider it more versatile for writing software.