Only search in selected directories/files TC9.5ß13

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: sheep, Hacker, Stefan2, white

mp

Only search in selected directories/files TC9.5ß13

Post by *mp » 2020-01-16, 10:11 UTC

Hello,

I found a little bug or at least inconsistency.

When I start a search in a separater process, to search only in selected directories and files, the option "Search only in selected directories/files" is disabled, when I change the focus to another window, as described in the Total Commander Help. Okay so far.

When I search multiple times, that means not leaving the search dialog and clicking "Start search" multiple times, only for the first search the file is found. For further search operations the directory/file selection is lost, but the option "Search only in selected directories/files" is still available and checked. This should be disabled also after the first search when it is not possible to search for further files.

This behavior is the same for folders and archives.
For archives I can say it only works when "Search archives" is enabled automatically because it's saved.
When "Search archives" is set manually without leaving the Search dialog, the file selection is also lost. The "Search only in selected directories/files" option stays active.
Maybe it would be helpful to automatically set "Search archives" when archives are selected...

tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Only search in selected directories/files TC9.5ß13

Post by *tuska » 2020-01-16, 10:59 UTC

mp wrote:When I search multiple times, that means not leaving the search dialog and clicking "Start search" multiple times,
only for the first search the file is found.
After the first search you should check "F2 Search in found files/folders"...

mp

Post by *mp » 2020-01-16, 11:55 UTC

@tuska
Tank you for your reply, but this is not what I mean. It's not about searching in the previous results, but searching again for another search term, e.g. another file

tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska » 2020-01-16, 14:28 UTC

mp wrote:For further search operations the directory/file selection is lost,
but the option "Search only in selected directories/files" is still available and checked.
This should be disabled also after the first search when it is not possible to search for further files.

... It's not about searching in the previous results, but searching again for another search term, e.g. another file ...
I see.

I would not disable "Only search in selected directories/files" if it is checked,
because you have started the search query e.g. with marked folders.

In my opinion, however, it should be possible after clicking on the button "New search", "Start search",
to successfully perform a new search query for the marked folders (this is currently not possible).

But this question (button "New search") could also become a "question of faith"...

mp

Post by *mp » 2020-01-16, 15:27 UTC

But when search dialog loses the focus, the "Search only in selected directories/files" option is also automatically disabled, because the selection could change until the focus comes back to the search dialog. For me this is the same thing.
If it is not possible to search in the selected files multiple times, the option should be disabled.
If changing the search options disturbs the search in selected files function, the option should be disabled.