add Queue to the ongoing copy(not start by queue)

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

dindog

add Queue to the ongoing copy(not start by queue)

Post by *dindog »

Please unify the queue copy/move dialog to the non-queue ones.

I bought a PATA-USB cable today, trying to backup 2 old 500GB PATA hard-drives' files to new computer, and it took time. It's almost for the first time I find the queue copy will be useful, I just select some folders add them to queue then I can go to have a cup of tea waiting it done.

As I said, it's first time, so I didn't fimiliar with how TC's queue works, so I started a regular "F5" copy in backgroud, then selected some folder in a different partition, "F5"-->queue "F2".... it's different dialog and two copy run parallel! Both of them take more than 20 minutes, I either pause one of them and wait the other finished first ( no sense for "queue" then), or accept two copying job run at the same time, and it will take more than 20+20 minutes because the hard-drive busy locating files...

So why not allow a background copy dialog can accept queue, in other words, unify them?
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: add Queue to the ongoing copy(not start by queue)

Post by *Dalai »

The point of these different dialogs (or transfer methods if you will) is that you are still able to copy in parallel when necessary. Sometimes you need to queue copy jobs, sometimes you need to do them in parallel because you make transfers from/to completely different sources/destinations (e.g. internal, external, network location).

If you don't want to think about queueing jobs, you can tell TC to always copy in the background transfer manager by setting
AlwaysCopyInBackground=0
1: Total Commander always copies in the background
2: Always use background transfer manager
in your wincmd.ini, section [Configuration].

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
dindog

Post by *dindog »

Dalai wrote: 2020-02-10, 14:47 UTC The point of these different dialogs (or transfer methods if you will) is that you are still able to copy in parallel when necessary. Sometimes you need to queue copy jobs, sometimes you need to do them in parallel because you make transfers from/to completely different sources/destinations (e.g. internal, external, network location).

If you don't want to think about queueing jobs, you can tell TC to always copy in the background transfer manager by setting
AlwaysCopyInBackground=0

Regards
Dalai
thanks, I don't know that setting it to 2 will always use transfer manger.
But still, the trasfer manger dialog GUI need some refinement:
1. The dialog size & position is not saved.
2. The transfer speed is using the same line to the file name.
3. the target filename is displaying in the same line to the source name.
4. the source path and the target path is not aligned.

Point 1-3 make the the infomation of transfering to limited detail, which make no sense in modern monitor, which have enough space.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

dindog wrote: 2020-02-10, 16:05 UTC1. The dialog size & position is not saved.
Not automatically, no. But again, when searching with the right terms, TC help will tell you this:
RememberTransferManagerPos=0
0: File transfer manager (F5-F2) is shown at the top of the screen, left position changes for each opened
1: File transfer manager position and size are remembered (can be set via system menu)
But keep in mind that it's possible to open multiple BTM (background transfer manager) windows, and saving its position leads to multiple BTM windows on top of each other.
2. The transfer speed is using the same line to the file name.
3. the target filename is displaying in the same line to the source name.
IIRC it's designed to be this way, but I'm not sure. Perhaps you can find older discussions and/or statements from Ghisler about it.
4. the source path and the target path is not aligned.
What do you mean by that? Where should what be aligned to what? I hope you don't mean in the list of the BTM because that would be absolutely stupid when very short and very long names are in the list at the same time, so one couldn't see anything without doing a ton of scrolling.

However, I agree that the BTM could be improved to show speed, source and destination at the same time, hence the need for TC to toggle such information would be omitted.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You can also remember its position via the system menu (click on icon in the top-left corner).

Unfortunately it's not possible to append an ongoing copy operation to the background transfer manager because copying has already started.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2020-02-11, 09:38 UTCUnfortunately it's not possible to append an ongoing copy operation to the background transfer manager because copying has already started.
Shouldn't it be possible if to pause/stop it at first, transfer the remaining part of ongoing copy task to BTM, and continue it from BTM?
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
dindog

Post by *dindog »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2020-02-11, 09:38 UTC You can also remember its position via the system menu (click on icon in the top-left corner).

Unfortunately it's not possible to append an ongoing copy operation to the background transfer manager because copying has already started.
my initial suggestion is:
Is it possible to unify the Background Transfer Manager to the foreground copy dialog.

Because I don't quite understand why, would you please put more detail explain why? since:
1. I can put a onging foreground copy to background
2. I can add new queue to the ongoing background queue.
I looks very like to me when they switch to background, I don't get what is the different and why new queue can't append to a ongoing "normal copy" but can to a "queue copy"
miskox

Post by *miskox »

I miss an option to move an existing background operation (F5/F6) to the Queue (F2).

1. I select some files.
2. Press F5.
3. Now I have these buttons: Pause, Cancel, Backround ----here it would be nice to have F2 button, too
4. Now I can click Background button and copy/rename/move operation moves to the background. Available buttons are: Pause and Foreground. It would be nice to have F2 button here as well.

If this is of course doable (or maybe: 'F2 queue' or 'F2 quue after current file is copied/moved/renamed').

Thanks.
Saso
jesped

Post by *jesped »

Dalai wrote: 2020-02-10, 14:47 UTC If you don't want to think about queueing jobs, you can tell TC to always copy in the background transfer manager by setting
AlwaysCopyInBackground=0
When I set AlwaysCopyInBackground=2 then my mouse drag & drop copy/move operations default to Foreground instead of Background or BTM... 😮

Is there a way to set TC so the mouse drag & drop copy/move operations *always* use the BTM?
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

jesped,
Is there a way to set TC so the mouse drag & drop copy/move operations *always* use the BTM?
No, unfortunately, D&D always starts in foreground.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
jesped

Post by *jesped »

Hacker wrote: 2023-03-04, 21:36 UTC jesped,
No, unfortunately, D&D always starts in foreground.

Roman
That shouldn't be hard to fix, right?