Power Member
Power Member

Re: Typing errors in help file.

Post by *petermad »

In that case we should lose the "of".
Even better.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

The old (fixed) version is still shorter:

Opens a separate window, which allows you to copy, move, or download files in the background.
Opens a separate window, which allows copying, moving, or downloading files in the background.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
Phred

Post by *Phred »

Usher wrote: 2020-02-20, 10:49 UTC The old (fixed) version is still shorter:

Opens a separate window, which allows you to copy, move, or download files in the background.
Opens a separate window, which allows [the] copying, moving, or downloading [of] files in the background.
The first option gets my vote.
Of course, it depends upon the voice the author wants to use.

In the second, 'of' is required by proper grammar. As is 'the'. The sentence refers to an abstract conception.
Regards, PhredE
Licence holder since 1999
Awaiting a $D donors-token for the title-bar so we can display that we have donated further.
Phred

Post by *Phred »

Dalai wrote: 2020-02-19, 13:30 UTC
Phred wrote: 2020-02-19, 05:54 UTC[For that matter, every reference to 'spell checker' in the universe should be changed to 'spelling checker', gerund and noun.
I didn't find any reference to "spelling checker" whatsoever, not on Wikipedia, not on LEO (spell checker) - but as you can see, "spell checker" (and spell-checker) is there.
Spell is a verb (not widely known in the USA)
Now we are nit-picking, because "spell" is a verb and also a noun like in "I put a spell on you".

Regards
Dalai
Ha. We'd better italicise [sic] this for parenthesis. Just because the internet doesn't have it, doesn't mean it's wrong. ;-)
Would you say 'A checker of the spell'? Gerunds live, I claim. 'Spelling' is the activity, and the device that checks it is therefore a spelling checker.
American English (the shortened, corrupted version that is most pervasive these days) is often derived from uninformed errors or laz... lack of effort.
'Swim pool'. 'Athletics meet'. 'Sail boat'. You (may) find it lovely; I find it ugly.
Here in TC's forum is the spark that re-ignites the right expression. :-)
Regards, PhredE
Awaiting a $D donors-token for the title-bar so we can display that we have donated further.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Is anybody able to ask an English teacher about "spell checker" or "spelling checker", preferably a native English speaking one?

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2Dalai
I have already linked a dictionary definition:
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/spellchecker
Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary & Thesaurus wrote:
spellchecker

a computer program that makes certain that the words in a document have the correct letters in the correct order:

After you've finished each chapter, run the spellchecker.

(Definition of spellchecker from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary & Thesaurus © Cambridge University Press)
You can find more examples on the linked page. How many official normative publications do you want to read?
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2Usher
Well, personally, I still think that "spell checker" (or "spell-checker") is correct since it can be found in a lot of places. OTOH incorrect spellings of certain German words can also be found in a lot of places, mainly written by people who don't know it any better. I have no reason to believe that English is any different in that regard. Anyway, I hope to read an answer from someone who - in my opinion - must know what's correct, and can possibly explain why. Maybe both versions are correct, maybe not. Hence my question above.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

Dalai wrote: 2020-02-22, 21:41 UTCit can be found in a lot of places
Yeah, sure:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Delores+Claiborne&nfpr=1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolores_Claiborne
Delores vs. Dolores
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

Well, I can provide more reliable explanation now:

"Spellchecker" is in British English, see definition of spellchecker noun from the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary:
https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/spellchecker?q=spell+checker

"Spell-checker" (preferred) or "spell checker" is in American English, see definition of spell-checker noun from the Oxford Advanced American Dictionary:
https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/american_english/spell-checker?q=spell+checker

Linked previously Merriam-Webster and Cambridge dictionaries provide only British English variant.
Wikipedia is in American English, though British spelling is also provided in most cases.
As you can see, English language (as many other languages) lives and evolves, and changes are irregular… For example, you can observe modern "email" spelling rather than the ancient ;-) "e-mail" variant, but other languages may still prefer the older one.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This has changed to a general discussion of English, my changes to the help in TC 9.51 RC2 are ignored. Therefore I will move this thread to the English forum soon.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Phred

Post by *Phred »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2020-02-24, 09:33 UTC This has changed to a general discussion of English, my changes to the help in TC 9.51 RC2 are ignored. -snip-
I take it that the OP corrections have been incorporated. Nice.

I maintain that gerunds still live, in spite of deprecated usage.
"spelling checker", spelling-checker, spelling checker.
Hello search engines [waves]. :)
Regards, PhredE
Phred

Post by *Phred »

From 'Settings in the file wincmd.ini: Overview'

"There are two options which allow to redirect one or more section from wincmd.ini to other files, e.g. to make the main wincmd.ini read only. It's also possible to quickly delete volatile data like directory and command line history by putting them in a separate file, which can then be deleted regularly."

Better, correct, expression:
'There are two options which allow the redirection of one or more sections from wincmd.ini to other files, e.g. to make the main wincmd.ini read only. It's also possible to quickly delete volatile data like directory and command line histories by putting them in separate files, which can then be deleted regularly.'

or:
'There are two options which allow you to redirect one or more sections from wincmd.ini to other files, e.g. to make the main wincmd.ini read only. It's also possible to quickly delete volatile data like directory and command line histories by putting them in separate files, which can then be deleted regularly.'
Regards, PhredE