A few suggestions

Support for PocketPC and WinCE version

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

zegroy

A few suggestions

Post by *zegroy »

I've been using TC for a while now. It's an excellent program (thanks a lot ! :D ) However, there are a few things that would make it even better:

1. If I delete the file during search, the search is reset and I need to run it again. Would be really nice if the search could be saved and automatically refreshed on file move or deletion. "The other" freeware file commander uses a saved search directory for this.

2. I would like an option to copy filename+path. I need it to set up links to file in programs that don't have "browse" function (e.g. registry editor, PocketThinker, etc). Currently I create a shortcut, copy filename + path from properties window, then delete shortcut.

3. A button to quickly show tree would be a nice addition.

4. Ability to specify a custom file compression utility, eg winrar.

Thanks ! Is an updated version coming anytime soon ?
zegroy

Post by *zegroy »

One more thing: custom filters (e.g. *.pwi)
shammat

Re: A few suggestions

Post by *shammat »

zegroy wrote:2. I would like an option to copy filename+path.
You can create a button on the toolbar with the internal command "cm_CopyFullNamesToClip". Then the selected filenames (and path) will be copied into the clipboard. You can also assign this a keyboard shortcut.
Ctrl-F8, and you can also create a button on the toolbar to switch this on.

Ctrl-F12 ?
zegroy

Post by *zegroy »

How do I enter function keys on PPC keyboard ?

Also, I changed the button "program" value to "cm_CopyFullNamesToClip" and TC doesn't seem to understand it.

Could you please show me an example ?
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, Zegroy.
How do I enter function keys on PPC keyboard ?
I assume you can't unless you have got an external keyboard attached to your PDA. If you do not like me, you will have to use the menu items instead.
Also, I changed the button "program" value to "cm_CopyFullNamesToClip" and TC doesn't seem to understand it.
If I am not mistaken, PocketTC does not understand the cm_*-function names. So try the command numbers instead. You will find the list of available commands in the TC online help.
Once you are on the starting page go to Button Bar, next go to See dialog box - change button and finally to Numeric identifiers.
I cannot find the command cm_CopyFullNamesToClip in the list at all, the only clipboard commands available in Pocket TC seem to be
40001 copy to clipbard
40002 cut to clipboard
40003 paste from clipboard
provided Pocket TC online help is complete.

If this is right, then there seems to be no easy way to cm_CopyFullNamesToClip which is a pity, because it is one the functions I frequently use in the Desktop version.

Regards,
Karl
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, Zegroy.

From my limited experience with Pocket TC, here are my answers to your requests posted at the beginning of your thread:
1. If I delete the file during search, the search is reset and I need to run it again. Would be really nice if the search could be saved and automatically refreshed on file move or deletion.
This might be a feature request which you might send directly to the author, Christian Ghisler.
2. I would like an option to copy filename+path.
Referring to my previous post, I would say, at the time being there is no built in command in Pocket TC which can do what you want.
Again, this might be a good feature request which you could address to the author directly.
Does not Show => Tree view do what you need?
If you would like to create a button then the internal command numbered 40024 Tree dialog might be what you are looking for. (I did not test it though)
4. Ability to specify a custom file compression utility, eg winrar.
PocketTC natively only supports ZIP (un)packing. If your Winrar understands command line options you might create a button for it using the built in command line arguments %p %n %t %m and ?. To find out the meaning of these parameters please consult the Pocket TC online help on Button change dialog.
Like in the Desktop version? I do not think the present version of Pocket TC, V1.21, offers this feature. But you can use wildcards in a lot of dialog boxes. Yet, I guess you knew that before.

Summary
Pocket TC offers only a limited subset of all the features that its Big Brother offers.
I remember Christian Ghisler stating that he had got a number of ideas on how to improve Pocket TC, yet right now he was busy working on the V6.50 of the Desktop version.
So very likely, we will have to wait quite a time before we will see more of the useful features in PocketTC, too, that make the Desktop version so indespensible.

Regards,
Karl
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song