ShellDetails 1.26 (Content plug-in)

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2shammat
Do I have to modify ShellDetails.ini in order to get the CVS columns? How would the definitions for those columns look like?
Yes you have to do that as described in the read file:
readme wrote: Which fields are available for displaying differs from directory to directory. For this reason the plugin offers to set the directories where to search for fields. As an example the fields provided by the program TortoiseCVS are only available in directories which are under CVS control. If TortoiseCVS is used an the directory C:\MyProject is under CVS control you may add this line to your ShellDetails.ini configuration file:

[Directories]
Dir_1=C:\MyProject

It's not necessary to add an additional directory which contains the common directories. If no directory is set by the user ShellDetails will search for fields in the Windows directory.
shammat

Post by *shammat »

Yes I had the CVS directory configured like that.

But I had the "root" directory where I have several CVS and non-CVS directories defined in Dir_1. Once I entered a "real" CVS directory, I have the columns available in all CVS dirs. A bit strange though :)

Can I add more then one directory in the .ini file?
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2shammat
But I had the "root" directory where I have several CVS and non-CVS directories defined in Dir_1. Once I entered a "real" CVS directory, I have the columns available in all CVS dirs. A bit strange though
Mh I don't really understand does it work or not?
Can I add more then one directory in the .ini file?
Yes you can:
[Configuration]
Dir_1=C:\Dir 1
Dir_2=C:\Dir 2

You don't have to do that for CVS support. One directory is sufficient.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

As your plugin finds the ini-file anyway I suggest that you simply include an ini file in your distribution. That would prevent people like me from searching it after the first start. Readmes are not there to be read, you know that, don't you? ;)

The location "subfolder in wincmd.ini folder" is rather unusual regarding all other developers. I have never installed a plugin with that location till now and I have nearly tried them all. Most plugins I have installed have the inifile located in the same folder as the plugin itself. The rest directly puts it in wincmd.ini folder.

Anyway, thanks for the great plugin, to be able to show and sort by the created-attribute is one of the things I have been waiting for for about five years. Maybe a time will come that I can really stop using Windows Explorer. :)

/offtopic/
Is your email adress ok? I have written an email at the end of October regarding http://shell-shocked.org/article.php?id=284 because I thought you might be interested as it nicely lists some of the best tools regarding junctions and stuff like that.
/offtopic/

Icfu
This account is for sale
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2icfu
I suggest that you simply include an ini file in your distribution
I thought about that but for another reason. Presets for some well known Explorer columns which are explained as examples would make it easier to configure the plugin. I will follow the approach described by Ghisler here if possible in a later version: http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=5463
That would prevent people like me from searching it after the first start.
The user expectations are quite different where the settings file should be created by default. I started a discussion a weeks ago - noone replied yet. There seems to be no interest in finding a common way.
Readmes are not there to be read, you know that, don't you?
In general you are right. A documentation which includes all settings should be included, but not necessary to read. I haven't had time to create a user interface for that, sorry.
It has to be an extra program.
There is no support for configuration dialogs in the plugin interface.
The location "subfolder in wincmd.ini folder" is rather unusual regarding all other developers. I have never installed a plugin with that location till now and I have nearly tried them all.
The reason why I chose this directory is that many people complain about too many INI files directly in Wincmd.ini directory. The priority to have no additional directory seems to be higher than having too much INI files in one dir. So I'm going to exchange this two in the hierarchy.
Most plugins I have installed have the inifile located in the same folder as the plugin itself. The rest directly puts it in wincmd.ini folder.
That's not really an argument for me. What other plugin authors do don't have to be the best way.
Anyway, thanks for the great plugin
Thank you very much! :D
to be able to show and sort by the created-attribute is one of the things I have been waiting for for about five years
I don't want to stop you from using my plugin :-) but this feature is already included in Total Commander: tc.creationdate (tc.Erstelldatum)

Is your email adress ok? I have written an email at the end of October regarding http://shell-shocked.org/article.php?id=284 because I thought you might be interested as it nicely lists some of the best tools regarding junctions and stuff like that.
The old address at T-Online is no longer valid. My new address is total_commander@mywellknowndomain.de (see signature)
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I had used the address from your domain and it's still in my sent box. As you can't remember my email it was maybe killed by your spam filter? I remember some threads here in the forum with emails not received by the moderator, maybe that is an idea. :)
Presets for some well known Explorer columns
Sample ini file sounds like the best approach as it has already happened to me that I have overwritten my actual inifile with a fresh one. But I have decided to disable the new TC autoinstall feature currently due to the actual bug, permanently adding "/W" to the path defined in "pluginbasedir=" ini-setting, and I prefer the manual way and the Plugins Manager tool as it also allows to disable, uninstall and do other configuring stuff.
The user expectation is quite different where the settings file should be created by default. I started a discussion a weeks ago - noone replied yet. There seems to be no interest in finding a common way.
Not the first discussion IIRC. I think the arguments haven't changed since the last time, maybe that's why noone replied.
I haven't had time to create a user interface for that, sorry.
I don't think that this will be necessary. In the end all WDX-plugins behave the same and are configured in the same way. If you know how it works in one plugin you can use the others, too. That's why I haven't read your readme in first place as I expected to see some starting guide for beginners only. Configurable ini-locations are seldom nowadays but a very nice approach.
The reason why I chose this directory is that many people complain about too many INI files directly in Wincmd.ini directory.
Well, in the end it doesn't get better when there are a lot of subfolders INSTEAD OF ini files in the wincmd.ini directory, don't you think? It just makes the situation worse, one click more to find the ini file.
I love plugins I can unzip, install, configure and delete with one single click. This is only possible when everything is in one place by default.
Plugins that include stuff to be put in different folders are not very easy to use. Imagine the complications that will arise when you include an inifile in your distribution that has to be put in a subfolder manually by the user and that one doesn't use the auto install feature.
That's not really an argument for me. What other plugin authors do don't have to be the best way.
True on one hand, on the other it's what plugin users are used to meanwhile and it happens to sound most logical to me, so maybe I am just happy to see that my feeling of what should be default is shared by most developers.
I don't want to stop you from using my plugin but this feature is already included in Total Commander: tc.creationdate (tc.Erstelldatum)
I have seen it meanwhile, thanks.

Ok, one feature wish:
If possible include a setting for two-digit year presentation. Right now people have to change big Y to small y. Or is it a limitation of TC plugin interface?

Thanks

Icfu
This account is for sale
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2icfu
had used the address from your domain and it's still in my sent box. As you can't remember my email it was maybe killed by your spam filter? I remember some threads here in the forum with emails not received by the moderator, maybe that is an idea.
My spam filter doesn't kill mails. There are just marked as spam. I didn't find any email from you there.
There is a simple reason for that - I have overseen your email. I just searched my archive and there is an email from you from October 12th. I'm sorry :oops:
I will reply as soon as possible!
I don't think that this will be necessary. In the end all WDX-plugins behave the same and are configured in the same way. If you know how it works in one plugin you can use the others, too. That's why I haven't read your readme in first place as I expected to see some starting guide for beginners only. Configurable ini-locations are seldom nowadays but a very nice approach.
No I ment an interface to configure the way the fields are displayed. The Windows column system returns its values in a quite "raw" way for some fields. They have to be transformed into human readable values. My plugin provides this functionality but has to be configured how to convert. Even a template INI file wouldn't make it easier. A graphical user interface would really make it easier.
Well, in the end it doesn't get better when there are a lot of subfolders INSTEAD OF ini files in the wincmd.ini directory, don't you think?
Yes that's why I wrote I will change it later.
I love plugins I can unzip, install, configure and delete with one single click. This is only possible when everything is in one place by default.
Plugins that include stuff to be put in different folders are not very easy to use. Imagine the complications that will arise when you include an inifile in your distribution that has to be put in a subfolder manually by the user and that one doesn't use the auto install feature.
This is Ghislers approach. He wants the plugin authors to copy these files to these directories. Another way could be to have defaults hardcoded in the plugin which will be written at first start to the INI file. We'll see.
The simple way to have all in one place doesn't work if you don't have access to your plugin directory. Another reason is seperating data from binaries.
If possible include a setting for two-digit year presentation. Right now people have to change big Y to small y. Or is it a limitation of TC plugin interface?
The units for dates are provided completely by Total Commander. You have to do that by hand, sorry.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I will reply as soon as possible!
Don't worry, no need to do so, in the end it was just a link and no important message. :)

Thanks for your explanations, I am enlightened now. :)
The units for dates are provided completely by Total Commander. You have to do that by hand, sorry.
So we have another feature wish here. Same procedure as every year then. ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2all who had trouble using version 1.05

Version 1.06 contains the following changes and fixes:

FIXED: If no directory is set manually for field search newly installed shell extensions were not recognized.

CHANGED: Plugin is no longer compressed with UPX. This caused troubles on some systems.

CHANGED: The default path for ShellDetails.ini is now the directory were Wincmd.ini is located.

ShellDetails plugin displaying CVS fields sorted by status

ShellDetails 1.06 installation package
ShellDetails 1.06 readme file

This plugins requires Windows 2000/XP or 2003.

Special thanks goes to Clas Hortien who helped me finding the problem.

If you have still can't install the plugin please report here. If it works now reports are welcome as well :-)
Last edited by Lefteous on 2005-01-20, 21:06 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
robinsiebler

Post by *robinsiebler »

ShellDetails 1.05 19.01.2005 - 18:52
I have ShellDetails set up to display the Copyright info, which I assume that it gets from the Version tab of the file properties. However, while this info *is* visible on the Versions tab, it is not showing up in the custom view I created.

I should add that it displays other info from the Version tab, such as Module Description and Version correctly. When I installed wdx_exeinfo 1.01, it displayed the Copyright correctly.

>The first thing that you should do before asking for not working fields is >to look what Explorer displays for these fields. I haven't manage to >display Copyright columns in Explorer so far...

I don't know what Explorer displays. I don't *use* Explorer. That's why I have TC. My point is that your plugin has a bug. It is not properly displaying a field that wdx_exeinfo *is* properly displaying. Perhaps you could find out what that author is doing and fix the bug.
Robin L. Siebler
Personal License #13949
------------------------------
"Bother", said Pooh, as he deleted Windows
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2robinsiebler
I don't know what Explorer displays. I don't *use* Explorer. That's why I have TC. My point is that your plugin has a bug. It is not properly displaying a field that wdx_exeinfo *is* properly displaying.
The ShellDetails plugin displays fields provided by Windows. So if Windows Explorer cannot display them my plugin cannot display them.
I'm not sure yet if the Copyright field is associated to the set of executable file information. I guess it's related to Music and or Video files. You may have a look at the identifiers in the ShellDetails.ini file and compare...
Perhaps you could find out what that author is doing and fix the bug.
I am the author :D
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

Lefteous wrote:I am the author :D
Oh no, now you have spoiled it. This was a secret.
What does these weird .htm files in the package do anyway? :lol:
maik

switch column view automatically ?

Post by *maik »

First, thanks for nice plugin!

ist it possible to switch column view automatically by directory ?
(not pressing Shift F1, 1 or Ctrl F2 to switch view each time)

Example:
d:\projects is the directory with CVS informations
there (and downwards) I want use my custom columns mode "CVS Columns"
in all other drives/directories I want use my default view ('Full') ....

if not already possible, I have a suggestion:
in ShellDetails.ini file I have added
[Directories]
Dir_1=D:\projects
When you allow to combine each Dir_x entry with a custom columns definition this could be a solution
Maik
Licence #: 24763
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2maik
First, thanks for nice plugin!
Thank you!
ist it possible to switch column view automatically by directory ?
(not pressing Shift F1, 1 or Ctrl F2 to switch view each time)

Example:
d:\projects is the directory with CVS informations
there (and downwards) I want use my custom columns mode "CVS Columns"
in all other drives/directories I want use my default view ('Full') ....

if not already possible, I have a suggestion:
in ShellDetails.ini file I have added
[Directories]
Dir_1=D:\projects
When you allow to combine each Dir_x entry with a custom columns definition this could be a solution
Sorry but which columns are displayed is completely controlled by Total Commander.
The dir <--> columns assignment has been requested a lot of times. But this is something Total Commander has to provide, sorry.
eso2

Properties problem

Post by *eso2 »

I have one problem with this plugin.

I have Windows 2000 in czech language.
Plugin found some properties, but no all - for example like width and height of images - which I can see in Properties tab of Windows Explorer.

I can see in TC only these (english names in brackets are my translation):

-----------------------
Název (Name)
Velikost (Size)
Typ (Type)
Změněno (Last changed)
Atributy (Atributes)
Komentář (Remark)
Vytvořeno (Created)
Otevřeno (Last opened)
Vlastník (Owner)
Untitled 0
Autor (Author)
Název (Title ?)
Předmět (Subject)
Kategorie (Category)
Stránky (Pages)
Autorská práva (Author rights)
Název společnosti (Company name)
Popis modulu (Modul description)
Verze modulu (Modul version)
Název produktu (Modul name)
Verze produktu (Product version)
Jméno příjemce (Recipient name)
Jméno odesilatele (Sender name)
Číslo příjemce (Recipient number)
Csid
Tsid
Čas přenosu (Transfer time)
ID volajícího (Caller ID)
Směrování (Route ?)
Formát zvuku (Sound format)
Vzorkovací frekvence (Sample rate)
Velikost zvukové ukázky (Sample size)
Kanály (Chanells)
Doba přehrávání (Play time?)
Počet snímků (Frames)
Frekvence snímků (Frequency)
Velikost ukázky videa (Video preview size)
Komprese videa (Video compression)
-------------------

I tried to add directories in [Directories] part of ShellDetails.ini, which contents many images and other files, but no change.

Is there way, how get width and height of images?