Do you want an icon competition?

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

How should we decide on new icons in TC?

With an icon design competition.
41%
By using the icons from user "StickyNomad" as a base.
27%
By hiring a professional designer. Please make suggestions below.
9%
Other (please specify below).
2%
I don't care, the current icons are OK.
21%

Total votes: 91

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Do you want an icon competition?

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Total Commander's icons are quite outdated now, so I'm looking for alternatives. One idea would be an icon competition - I would buy the winning icon set.

Another idea from this forum would be to use the nice icon set from user StickyNomad as a base for a new icon set in TC. See:
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=6437

Finally, it was suggested to hire a professional designer.
What are your opinions?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Helix751

Post by *Helix751 »

I voted anyway, but I would rather rank my preferences:

1) Using StickyNomad's icons as a base is a natural start: Many people like them, they have a clean and professional look and are extensive to many commonly used commands in TC.

2) Hire a professional designer: This should give nice and quality results, because of the bonding contract between the developer and the designer.

3) Contest: If (2) isn't possible or if there are lots of potential contestants in TC's community, this one can be an option, but the timings and overall quality of the icons may not be the best at the end.

So, a quick start could be (1) and then (2) or (3)
Regards,
Sergio

TCmd license #12059
TC11.03x86/x64 | Win11 Pro
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Sorry Villampiro but (2) a professional designer should be the last of the last options - any idea what such a guy costs ? :p
Hoecker sie sind raus!
white
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Do you want an icon competition?

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Total Commander's icons are quite outdated now, so I'm looking for alternatives. One idea would be an icon competition...
Who would be the jury members for the design competition?
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

white wrote:
ghisler(Author) wrote:Total Commander's icons are quite outdated now, so I'm looking for alternatives. One idea would be an icon competition...
Perhaps all Forum Members?
Hoecker sie sind raus!
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Here are some points I believe are vital to be considered:

1. No harm can come from an icon competition other than licensing implications. It's only a single drawback but
can be catastrophic for TC and can lead Christian to a court.

2. Hiring a pro designer is IMHO the very best solution (although the most expensive one as well), but this can
only be more productive if the designer is familiarized with TC. Just assigning the work to a pro designer is not
enough by its own if he/she is not familiarized with TC's functions. This process should be done in collaboration
of the icon designer with Christian and beta testers. From my research on the issue (which is known to Christian),
this is anyway the procedure followed by a considerable amount of pro designers.

3. StickyNomad's work combines an acceptable design and a productive look'n'feel. It is currently the best and
most complete work we have which is also cost free. I do appreciate StickyNomad's work and he knows that based
on my forum posts but I also have to admit that artistic-wise it's not a big leap from the default dated icons
we have. Of course that last comment does not cover the excellent additional work. To my eyes, current TC icons
have a Win3.x look. StickyNomad's are closer to Win9x. Looking for the future, we are missing the Win2k/XP look
and with Longhorn coming soon, I predict that if StickyNomad's Win9x look is followed, it will soon become
out-of-date for one more time.

PS: You still haven't specified Christian if you are looking for a remake of just the default icons or if you are
also considering additional icons. If it's the latter case does that cover only the button bar or drive buttons
and filelists as well?
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2pdavit
StickyNomad's are closer to Win9x
I have to admit that's true :(
One reason for that could be that I mainly concentrated on the 16x16 icons, so the 32x32 are some kind of a 'second flush'..
At the moment I'm trying to push up the appearance of my icons to fit better to the WinXP look'n'feel, but that's quite a bunch of work with all that fancy anti-aliasing and drop shadowing. Because it's a spare-time project, it will take some time, but I constantly keep on finetuning my work, so future releases will have a more actual design.
Last edited by StickyNomad on 2005-02-21, 23:28 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Sir_SiLvA wrote:...any idea what such a guy costs ? :p
Yes, it can be extremely high. In the present past I have contacted some pro icon designers and have informed
Christian about pricing. It ranges typically between 30-60 dollars per icon!!!

Initially, I couldn't hold myself from laughing on those numbers and I was ready to accept overruling the pro
designer approach only to see Christian stating that he is willing (or should I say capable) of paying the
necessary amount and without any increase in TC's pricing at least directly related to icons for the near
future!

2Christian

BTW, are you considering a remake of TC's logo also Christian?
Last edited by pdavit on 2005-02-21, 23:50 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

StickyNomad wrote:...but that's quite a bunch of work with all that fancy anti-aliasing and drop shadowing.
Yes, I know my friend!

I've seen some projects and those guys use 2-3 applications for the final result including CorelDraw and Adobe Photoshop!

Most people just cannot understand how difficult and demanding it is to design icons with todays quality standards
which can be up to 128x128 in size (or even more) with Alpha Channel 16.8M - 32bits colour depth. And that is
just the technical part not taking into consideration the most important and difficult issue which is the artistic
aspect of the design.

But don't stress yourself. If your icons are finally officially used for TC v7.0 you have at least 6-8 months of
fine-tuning! ;)
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

What would be the result of hiring a professional designer?

I can tell you:
We would be blended by fantastic looking icons embedded in a GUI that would still look like Windows 3.11, what's the point? I bet TC looks rather funny with the real gems like FauxS-X, right? ;)

StickyNomad's icon set is nice, clean and functional and it therefore fits perfectly in the current looks of TC.

If at one time in the future you want to have a more professional design you should redesign the whole product regarding the proposals that have been made in this forum, not only the icons separately.

Icfu
This account is for sale
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Sorry but I like the GUI of TC as it is
(I hate the designs in xp and style and all that useless colering stuff
I even dont like the idea of FauxS-X Icons in Tc...)

Edit: I forgott - One PRG I only use with a Skin -> WinAmp2.95
If TC gets ever skinable it should be done there - small and fast...

@lzvk25: sorry but imho there ugly like hell lets wait for Nomad's Next Version of Icons :-)
Last edited by Sir_SiLvA on 2005-02-22, 04:34 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Hoecker sie sind raus!
lzvk25

Post by *lzvk25 »

Maybe we should contact Layne Karkruff, the creator of the Blue Sky Heart icons, I am sure some of his current work can be used already.
http://www.blueskyheart.com/bsi.html

8)
Memo to Boss : No TC, No Work
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

2All

Here's the list of icon developers that have been contacted recently (no more than two months ago) where 4-5 cases
have shown interest and I forwarded their individual emails to Christian:

http://cgi.glyphlab.com/php/gl/index.php Toolbar Button and Icon Design by Glyph Lab
http://www.firewheeldesign.com/icons.html Firewheel Design : Identity, Icon, and Web Design
http://www.aks-labs.com/solutions/icon-design-ico.htm AKS Icons Design Service
http://www.castlemelody.com/icon.html Castlemelody - icon design, unique, creative, mind grasping
http://design.iconfactory.com/ Iconfactory Design
http://www.gfxoasis.com/board/index.php?act=portal gfxOasis
http://www.foood.net/ FOOOD's Icons - Custom icons for Windows XP, Mac, Linux, Docks etc.
http://www.marvilla.us/ Iconica: Custom Windows XP icons for your software or projects
http://www.templatecentral.com/products/icons/iconscustom.asp Professional Icon Design
http://www.jasperhauser.nl/icon/ Jasper Hauser - Icon design

I particularly like the work of Glyph Lab (1st link above), where icons are themed, rich artistic-wise
yet are very distinct, clear and meaningful. Check also the portfolio pages on www.marvilla.us with
some examples from another developer.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

Another idea that pop-up in my mind is if StickyNomad can work in collaboration with a pro icon developer. Since
he knows TC very well he can provide the theme of each icon with a striped down form and an icon developer can
take that theme and elaborate it in its artistic aspect using the pro tools they use to "dress" the icons nicely.

Even the present collection of icons can be passed under this scheme if that's ok with StickyNomad. This idea can
produce icons more correct theme-wise to what each individual icon is trying to represent, can also split the
workload, decrease production time and maybe also save some of the final cost.

Of course both names should be acknowledged after the completion of the work and maybe a fee should be given to
StickyNomad also.

Just a thought! ;)
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

Sir_SiLvA wrote:
white wrote:
Perhaps all Forum Members?
I need to know this before I can vote.
If all forum members will be jury members I will vote against an icon competition. If Christian Ghisler (author) will be the only jury member or if as many as possible Total Commander users will be jury members I might vote for an icon competition.

Something different: Is this Topic important enough to be sticky?