[Feature Request] Splitting to a non-existed folder!

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

[Feature Request] Splitting to a non-existed folder!

Post by *pdavit »

Splitting a file to a destination folder that does not exist is not feasible. The dialog box for splitting includes a field for typing in the folder name but does not support folder creation at that stage. So, the user must go back to the destination folder, create the desirable file, go back to the file needed for splitting, select slip and then type in or browse for the target folder.

It would be nice to have TC trigger if a user has typed in a folder that does not exist and ask the user whether he/she likes it to be created and then proceed with the execution of the splitting automatically after the folder creation.

TC as it is now will output the message: “The given target path c:\temp\new2 is invalid!” if a non-existed folder name is typed in instead of asking whether the user wants to create the folder typed in the entry field area.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
jb

Post by *jb »

I agree, but I would express the suggestion more generally: Whenever and wherever an inexistent destination folder is specified, by default TC (as any other interactive application) should ask the user whether to create it. If yes then continue after successful creation else cancel the operation.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

jb wrote:I agree, but I would express the suggestion more generally: Whenever and wherever an inexistent destination folder is specified, by default TC (as any other interactive application) should ask the user whether to create it. If yes then continue after successful creation else cancel the operation.

That’s even better as there might be (and probably are) more entry fields for typing in a folder name than just the split dialog box. It might look initially too much work but in reality what is needed is just a call up to the same function.

(Valentino will kill me for estimating the workload for Christian for yet one more time) ;-)
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

2pdavit
OK, I don't at this time :). At least because you was absent here for quite long time (or just not posting?) (or I'm just wrong?). :)
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

2 Valentino

Yes, I was absent due to some long-term (12 months) duties I had (have) to complete. No, I’m not going to prison or something I will just be very busy the remaining 10 months without regular access to my PC. :-(
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

I agree. I have a suggestion though: anyone who finds an "inexistent destination folder" case anywhere in TC could post it in this thread so that Christian can go and fix it without having to spend time to search for such cases in thousands of lines of code. If that's OK with Christian of course. :) I assume that within a few days, all interrested in searching for this issue will find almost all occurences of it in TC.

Christian if you agree, just say the word...
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.