Any way to set TC to ALWAYS open in HOME screen?

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

jakoby

Any way to set TC to ALWAYS open in HOME screen?

Post by *jakoby »

I just started using Total Commander in place of my native android explorer, and I like it a lot, but I can't find a setting that makes it open on the HOME screen each time -- it always opens on the most recent folder. Is there a setting that forces Total Commander to always open on HOME screen?

Also, I noticed Total Commander caches photo thumbnails, but not video thumbnails -- video thumbnails are generated each time after closing and reopening the program, as if it's the first time. Is this normal?

See video showing this behavior here: https://imgur.com/a/V4K7rU8

Appreciate any info on this -- and thanks in advance!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Any way to set TC to ALWAYS open in HOME screen?

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

No, you can't turn off the auto-saving of the last use directories.

Thumbnails are cached when their extraction take longer - otherwise the thumbnail cache would become so big that it's slower to read them from there.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
jakoby

Post by *jakoby »

"No, you can't turn off the auto-saving of the last use directories."

Would it be possible to add that feature in a future release? It's unpleasantly jarring to have it open on the last directory when it's not necessary, which is for me most of the time. At least just the option of setting a start-up home directory each time would be very much appreciated.
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

jakoby wrote: 2020-04-01, 17:27 UTCIs there a setting that forces Total Commander to always open on HOME screen?
On newer Android devices, after a long tap on Total Commander icon in Android Home screen (or App drawer+Home screen where it's a shared thing), Android's launcher can show a menu with shortcut items "Home folder", "Editor" and "TC Media Player", and the "Home folder" one starts Total Commnader with Home folder opened in active panel (actually it simply started TC in versions before 3.24 beta 1, but there is an uncredited bugfix in current beta for that behavior). Athough it depends on Android launcher whether this long tap menu is shown, because not all launchers support this.

On some other devices (mainly Android 4.x and older), where above TC shortcuts are shown as 1x1 widgets in the Widget drawer by launcher instead of menu items, since TC4A v. 3.24 beta 1 it's possible to create a shortcut on Android Home screen with a widget named "Total Commander" which will start TC4A with Home folder opened in its active panel. Just drag&drop "Total Commander" widget to Android Home screen, then in "Go to folder and click OK" dialog navigate to TC's Home folder and click OK. Again, it depends on Android launcher whether it shows mentioned TC's shortcuts as widgets, or has the Widget drawer at all, or allows the shortcuts creations on the Home screen...
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708