How deep the UNDO goes?

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

How would you like your UNDO command to behave?

undo once - no undelete
4%
undo once - everything
15%
multiple undo
22%
select specific undo - pulldown
48%
TC own undo recycler
11%

Total votes: 27

krojc

How deep the UNDO goes?

Post by *krojc »

Last edited by krojc on 2011-02-15, 23:10 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

What is a "TC own undo recycler"?

Icfu
This account is for sale
krojc

Post by *krojc »

That would be TC "recycle BIN" for undo operations :)
Thorz

Post by *Thorz »

I votes "select specific undo - pulldown", this could be very cool, but realistically I am satisfied with just undo of copy / paste, I even dpn't think undelete is so important because the recycle bin can be used for that.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

@krojc:
That would be TC "recycle BIN" for undo operations
Sounds good, I'll take that. ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
Raymond

Post by *Raymond »

I chose "undo once - everything".
Like to press Shift+Del, but one or two times made me cry.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Raymond wrote:Like to press Shift+Del, but one or two times made me cry.
Even WinExplorer can't Undo Shift+Del so it might be interesting to know if its possible to be undone without any uneraser tools :?:
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Thorz

Post by *Thorz »

Sir_SiLvA wrote:
Raymond wrote:Like to press Shift+Del, but one or two times made me cry.
Even WinExplorer can't Undo Shift+Del so it might be interesting to know if its possible to be undone without any uneraser tools :?:
No way without unerasing tools. Shift+del = Totally deleted in any program that i have seen.
If you are concerned with this Raymond you must use an undelete program like OO unerase for example.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hey, there is a slight problem with the available options in this poll, is there not?

How can I vote against any undo option in TC?

As long as there is no clear definition of those actions
+ that should be undoable and
+ that actually can be undone in a reasonable way
(without making TC bloatware, e.g.:
if I upload 20 MB to an ftp server, I do not want TC to download and backup the existing 15 MB on the server first, then upload my 20 MB, just in case I might change my mind and press UNDO.)
I do not think I will change my mind.

So I would like to vote against TC specific undo functions, but I cannot do so in this poll.

Regards,
Karl
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

I personally like the Directory Opus approach, i.e. a combination of the last two poll options.
Check this out: http://img23.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img23&image=do_out.jpg
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

pdavit wrote:I personally like the Directory Opus approach, i.e. a combination of the last two poll options.
Check this out: http://img23.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img23&image=do_out.jpg
can DO undo SHift+Del :?:
And talking sourious about undo - what about overwriting a file - how to undo that ?

Sorry but Undo for normal Delete/Move/Copy is imhuo useless...
Hoecker sie sind raus!
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

2Sir_SiLvA

So, for you it's either all or nothing?!

Explorer has an undo feature which works on some cases and on some others it doesn't.

At least you have some level of undo-ability. If it's for "primitive" tasks, so let it be.
At least it's better than nothing!
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Thorz

Post by *Thorz »

pdavit wrote:2Sir_SiLvA

So, for you it's either all or nothing?!

Explorer has an undo feature which works on some cases and on some others it doesn't.

At least you have some level of undo-ability. If it's for "primitive" tasks, so let it be.
At least it's better than nothing!
Full agree with you. The undo ability of Opus is a great plus compared to TC's none one. I have not tried the program so I cannot opine on its other capabilities.
krojc

Post by *krojc »

2karlchen

The author of this poll is against the implementation of UNDO functionality. This poll is merely to show, that there is actually no need to push this idea further, since the majority of request hold the complete undo for session, which will, in case that the boss decides to add some basic undo - bring further requests for further undo functionality.

It is also obvious, if you read the starting topic, that this was ment as a joke that got a lot of attention.

In the end G! will decide what will the 7.0 look like.

I added another simple pole :)
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, Krojc.

When I read the thread which led to this poll about which undo options to implement, I did not get the impression that most writers were kidding.
Instead I had the feeling that quite a number of them were seriously asking for some kind of UNDO function to be implemented in TC, but without bothering too much about the question: which actions can be undone and which cannot.
Of course, I also noticed that some users expressed their frustration, saying that they did not believe that Christian would ever implement any kind of UNDO regardless of how many users asked for it.

And reading this thread, I did not get the impression that the majority of writers realized your real intention, with the exception of ICFU probably. I admit I did not, very likely because users will keep on asking for new features however useless or impossible to implement they may be.

And by the way, I think that it would be possible to establish a list of actions that could be undone without too much hassle. Yet, so far I have never had any urgent need for it, because I try to use my brain before I press a button or click on an icon.

Kind regards,
Karl
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song