Total commander does not change drive selected in the combobox in the upper left corner

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Total commander does not change drive selected in the combobox in the upper left corner

Post by *petermad »

2Dalai
Well, the focus is in the drive combobox, not in any of the panels. That's normal TC behavior.
The focus only stays in the closed drive combobox if I click on the down-arrow at the right of the box twice - otherwise if I click on a drive in the combobox, the focus goes to the active file panel as soon as the drive combobox closes.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Total commander does not change drive selected in the combobox in the upper left corner

Post by *Dalai »

2petermad
When the drive combobox is closed without selecting anything from the drop-down (i.e. changing the drive), it gets the focus. This not only happens when clicking on the down-arrow but the whole drive combobox (except the drive list drop-down).

2ldor
Do you change the drive via mouse or keyboard? Does the issue occur with both?

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
ldor

Post by *ldor »

petermad wrote: 2020-08-12, 11:26 UTC Could you try and enable the drive button bar ("Configuration" -> "Options..." -> "Layout" -> "Show drive buttons") - and next time it happens then see if you can change the drive with the button.
I did that - yes, I can change the drive with the buttons even when I cannot change it using the combobox
petermad wrote: 2020-08-12, 11:26 UTC Also try and change the setting "Configuration" -> "Options..." -> "Operation" -> "Main program" -> "Always go to root when changing drives" to see if that makes a difference.
This did not help
petermad wrote: 2020-08-12, 11:26 UTC On you Screenshot you are using Brief View - does it also happen in Full View?
Full view did not help
petermad wrote: 2020-08-12, 11:26 UTC Whwn you install TC on a new computer, do you do it from scratch, or do you reuse the .ini files from another installation?
Last time I copied old BAR files so that I don't have to create the bars from scratch. But I did not copy the ini file. I don't remember how I installed it before, probably the same
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

As I see on the screenshot, drive combobox has the focus but it is closed. If I click my drive combobox twice, I get the same situation: I see focus in combobox, I can scroll drives with arrow keys and panel stays unchanged, but if I press Enter, drive gets changed and focus returned to the panel, or if I click anywhere outside combobox with mouse, combobox returns to current drive. So the question is how do you get into such situation so often.

Please describe step by step what exactly you're doing.

Normal usage with mouse:
1. Click combobox once with left mouse button. Combobox gets opened.
2a. Click a drive with left mouse button to select a drive. Combobox is closed and drive gets changed.
2b. Click anywhere outside the combobox. Combobox is closed with no changes.

Normal usage with keyboard:
1. Press Alt+F1 to open combobox.
2. Select a drive with arrow keys.
3a. Press Enter to confirm. Combobox is closed and drive gets changed.
3b. Press Esc to cancel. Combobox is closed with no changes.

Also, do you use some nonstandard mouse driver or settings? Like focus on hover and open with single click etc.?
Last edited by MVV on 2020-08-12, 14:21 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

MVV wrote: 2020-08-12, 14:10 UTCNormal usage with keyboard:
2. Select a drive with arrow keys.
In step 2 one can also press the key of the drive one wants to change to, e.g. "e" key for drive E:, or "d" for drive D: and so on. (I've never used the arrow keys for this.)

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

You're right, it is faster, only two steps needed:
2. Press a key with desired drive's letter. Combobox is closed and drive gets changed.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Dalai
2petermad
When the drive combobox is closed without selecting anything from the drop-down (i.e. changing the drive), it gets the focus. This not only happens when clicking on the down-arrow but the whole drive combobox (except the drive list drop-down).
Same here, but ldor says that he's problem occurs when he tries to change the drive from the combobox, so he must have clicked on a different drive in the list, and hence the focus should have gone to the file panel.

Same thing when using Alt+F1, no matter whether you use arrow-keys and Enter or just press the drive lette - in both cases the file panel gets focus.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2petermad
True. Let's wait for ldor to reply with a (hopefully detailed) description on how the drive is changed, just as MVV suggested. Until then, it's more or less guesswork.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2ldor
When it happens for you that the drive is not changed, and the closed drive combobox is in focus, like on your screenshot, try just to press Enter, to see if the drive then changes.
License #524 (1994)
ldor

Post by *ldor »

MVV wrote: 2020-08-12, 14:10 UTC Normal usage with mouse:
1. Click combobox once with left mouse button. Combobox gets opened.
2a. Click a drive with left mouse button to select a drive. Combobox is closed and drive gets changed.
2b. Click anywhere outside the combobox. Combobox is closed with no changes.
I do it this way but the drive does not get changed (when this happens). Right now it is not happening, when it happens again I will try to press Enter to see if that helps.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Someone had this problem many years ago. It only happened when he used Alt+F1 and then pressed the drive letter. It didn't happen when he used Alt+F1, cursor keys, Enter to choose the drive.

The cause was a program which installed a system-wide keyboard hook for secure password entry. I don't remember what exactly, I think it was some kind of password manager. This program didn't correctly pass key presses to other apps, so the order in which key presses were sent changed. TC could no longer detect the press of the drive letter and failed to change drives.

Please check whether you have any such app installed on all affected PCs.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2ghisler(Author)
But ldor doesn't use the keyboard to change the drive but the mouse. Does it still apply then?

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

ldor

Post by *ldor »

Yes, I don't use the keyboard, I use the mouse. And I don't have any keyboard hook programs. More precisely, I cannot be sure about what our IT department installed on my work computer, but on the other two I don't have any such program and still get the issue.
elgonzo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *elgonzo »

Do you get similar issues with other comboboxes either in TC or in other programs (specifically such programs which use the native Windows controls), where you select a value in a combobox (using the same mouse input steps you are doing here) and the program seemingly fails to register the changed combobox value?
Begrudgingly back to Windows... now 11... sigh... but i have no nerve for Linux desktop anymore...
ldor

Post by *ldor »

No, I never got this issue except for this case. But I don't use any other comboboxes in TC, I don't even know if there are any. As for other programs, I never got anything like this