Can you add real-time counter of the number of matches found in "search" dialog.

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

2student

Can you add real-time counter of the number of matches found in "search" dialog.

Post by *2student »

Hello!

Can you consider to add real-time counter of the number of matches found to "Search" dialog - in place "Search results:", for example - "Search results: (xxx matches found)."

Best regards,
Saraev Konstantin.

MOVED to TC suggestions
Last edited by 2student on 2020-09-04, 10:36 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Can you add real-time counter of the number of matches found to "search" dialog.

Post by *tuska »

Hi,

Hmm, I think that using the tool 'Everything', which can be integrated into Total Commander since version 9.0 for a search query
there is no time for this, because TC receives the search result from 'Everything' in real-time(!).

If a real-time counter is built in, I think the output of the search result in Total Commander would even slow down.

After TC has the search results, they are processed by TC and displayed in the "Search results" in the "Search files" window.
For the preparation and output of the search results, a percentage of the search results in Total Commander is displayed
in the status bar continuously.

With few search results this happens very fast and even if you look into the status bar, this process is often not visible.
16.10.19 Release Total Commander 9.50 beta 1
22.07.19 Added: Search with 'Everything':
              Show percent of the search results transferred to Total Commander and added to the result list
              (Everything reports the total number of found files) (32/64)
Regards,
Karl

Windows 10 Pro (x64) Version 2004 (OS build 19041.450)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.4OGHz, 16 GB RAM
TC 9.51 x64/x86 | 'Everything'-Version 1.4.1.991 (x64)
☑ 'Everything' | Search queries: TC <=> 'Everything'
Hacker

Re: Can you add real-time counter of the number of matches found to "search" dialog.

Post by *Hacker »

tuska,
Well, that is only relevant if you use Everything.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

Hacker wrote: 2020-09-01, 10:21 UTC tuska,
Well, that is only relevant if you use Everything.

Roman
Yeah, that's right.
2student

Post by *2student »

Hello!
tuska wrote: 2020-09-01, 10:16 UTC
If a real-time counter is built in, I think the output of the search result in Total Commander would even slow down.
I do not use "Everything".
2student

Re: Can you add real-time counter of the number of matches found in "search" dialog.

Post by *2student »

Hello!

Could you please let me know if there is any new information for my feature request?

Best regards,
Konstantin.
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Can you add real-time counter of the number of matches found in "search" dialog.

Post by *DrShark »

I support both this suggestion and one about counter for processed files.

In addition, I would suggest to show also count of skipped files (useful e.g. if there is access denied on some file or TC can't process them during due to errors in WCX or WDX plugins if such happen, as well locations from ignore list and those manually added for skip by click on path parts in status bar), and also to show total files/folers count in locations where TC is searching.

All these counters could be shown in the "Search results:" header of Result list window, like this:

Code: Select all

Search results: Processed: n files, m folders of est. Total: n files, m folders, Skipped: n files, m folders, Found: n files, m folders
Of course in some locations TC cannot count exact number of files and folders which it will have to process, that's why during search it would be estimated number, but at the end of search "Total:" should equal Processed+Shipped.

In additional to counters of files/folders, I'd also suggest to show also the count of time spent the since search start.

To help distinguish different Find Files instances by their titles, I think it's worth to show some of these counters (maybe at user's choice) also in the title of Find Files tool.
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708