"debug" broken plugins

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

SailorMax

"debug" broken plugins

Post by *SailorMax »

On my new PC TC ignore installed AKfont plugin ( https://totalcmd.net/plugring/akfont.html ).
How can I detect the problem, why it doesn't work? Some kind of logs?

thank you.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: "debug" broken plugins

Post by *Dalai »

I just tried AKFont 2.8.2 32-bit in TC 9.51 32-bit and it works (but I haven't tested 64-bit version).

With Lister plugins, first try pressing 4 in Lister (or menu Options > Image/Multimedia). If that doesn't help, check the _detect string in wincmd.ini for that particular plugin. To do so, use menu Configuration > Change Settings Files Directly and search for the plugin name in the opened Notepad which shows wincmd.ini.

There is no debug mechanism or logs that helps with plugins - unless the plugin at least loads and provides logs by itself. However, plugin authors usually make sure that the plugin loads correctly.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
SailorMax

Post by *SailorMax »

I tried "Options > Image/Multimedia"
I checked "detect string in wincmd.ini"
Nothing helped :/
Before it worked fine
I use 64bit TC (before and now)
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Did you try different font files?

Despite not being able to correctly load the plugin during automatic installation in TC 64-bit, the plugin shows font files fine here after manual installation, i.e. adding a line to [ListerPlugins] section in wincmd.ini. However, the issues don't stop at the installation routine. After using the plugin and issuing the cm_UnloadPlugins command TC hangs forever.

Conclusion: There is a bug at least in the plugin's unloading routine, at least in its 64-bit variant. Try contacting the author somehow. Unfortunately I haven't found any mail address and both of the domains (fontmassive.com and 28k.ru) are suspended and/or expired.

When searching for an older version (2.7) I have lying around to see if it's been uploaded somewhere, I found this thread. So it seems, the issue I have experienced is nothing new. And Ghisler claims to have contacted the plugin author by mail, so maybe you can ask him to give you the plugin author's mail address. But I don't have much hope you'll get any reaction from the plugin author, given that that thread is over three years old... Anyway, if everything else fails, get the older version from the linked thread and enjoy.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

Dalai wrote: 2020-12-10, 11:11 UTCTry contacting the author somehow. Unfortunately I haven't found any mail address and both of the domains (fontmassive.com and 28k.ru) are suspended and/or expired.
Really? For me it works: http://fontmassive.com/akfont.php
Maybe your browser forces httpS connection?
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

No, my browser doesn't force HTTPS (I hate when destinations are altered, redirected or guessed by anything). I just followed the link given on totalcmd.net linked by SailorMax above. The link target (https://fontmassive.com) only leads to a 404. I had no reason to try unencrypted http://fontmassive.com - which indeed works. Anyway, thanks for the info.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Here the AKFont 2.8.2 plugin works fine in both 32bit and 64bit TC 9.51.

But when I made a trial installation, the 64bit version for some reason can NOT be automatically installed - TC can NOT write the information to wincmd.ini and actually crashes during insatllation when the "Lister plugins" dialog pops up.

If I manually add for example this to the [ListerPlugins] section of wincmd.ini, the plugin works fine:

Code: Select all

1=%COMMANDER_PATH%\PLUGINS\wlx\AKFont\AKFont.wlx
1_detect="FORCE | EXT="TTF" | EXT="PFM" | EXT="OTF" | EXT="TTC" | EXT="FON" | EXT="PFB""
(adjust the plugin number and path to your requirements)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2petermad
It seems you've experienced the same troubles I described above (although my TC just hangs instead of crashing) and as was described in the thread I linked to. I bet your TC will also hang when calling cm_UnloadPlugins command.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

SailorMax

Post by *SailorMax »

In my case problem was in old paths in wincmd.ini . We need a log file for this kind of problems.

I don't know does TC use "%COMMANDER_PATH%" now when install new plugins. I had absolute paths. (wincmd.ini from another PC)
Currently I can't install new plugins. TC can't create the folder in own 'plugins\' directory (event with Admin rights). But if try to install plugin via Settings-dialog, it:
1. for 64-bit version TC offer to choose only .wlx-file! But has to offer to choose .wlx64-file. Is it bug?
2. says "possible missed DLL" and do not install any plugins.
something wrong with my copied old configs again? :)
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

although my TC just hangs instead of crashing
Well, my TC doesn't crash immediately, but after two clicks on the red close-button in the "Lister plugins" dialog Windows tries to fix the problem, but fails.

I bet your TC will also hang when calling cm_UnloadPlugins command.
No such problem here.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2SailorMax
does TC use "%COMMANDER_PATH%" now when install new plugins
Once you have used %COMMANDER_PATH% TC will continue using that for future plugin installations (the path is saved in the parameter pluginbasedir)

Currently I can't install new plugins. TC can't create the folder in own 'plugins\' directory (event with Admin rights). But if try to install plugin via Settings-dialog
What happens if you just double-click on the downloaded plugin archive - does TC not install it then?
License #524 (1994)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I have tried the plugin - the 64-bit version of ListGetDetectString seems to be broken. The function is called only when using the plugin for the first time, to get a detect string from the plugin which tells Lister which file types are supported by the plugin.

To use this plugin with Total Commander 64-bit, you need to:
1. Install the combined 32-bit and 64-bit version of Total Commander
2. Run Total Commander 32-bit
3. Install the plugin from there

Afterwards you can use it also from Total Commander 64-bit because it uses the same detect string as Total Commander 32-bit.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com