Multiple Volumes on Diskette error in T.C.6.52

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Tyr Antilles

Multiple Volumes on Diskette error in T.C.6.52

Post by *Tyr Antilles »

Hi to everyone.
- I have recently a problem when try to copy multiple volumes on diskettes (1.4mb). Total Commander 6.52 just inform me that disk is full and do not allow me to insert adnother empty disk and continue with next volume like older T.C. versions. The only allowed choices are Skip and Cancel.
- Can anyone check out and tell me if this happen on others computers?
Thank you.
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

AFAIK the "copy" to multiple volumes was never implemented into TC.
May you mixed it up with "ZIP" to multiple volumes, which is still possible ...
#5767 Personal license
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Tyr Antilles
What do you mean by "copy multiple volumes on diskettes"? There is Files -> Split command that allows to split a file into several parts, and there is "Multiple disk archive" option in the Packing dialog...
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
szlori

Post by *szlori »

Could be an interesting feature to be able to "split and continue" if disk is full in the process of a copy operation.
This would be useful for removable devices, since some more inexperienced or lazy users don't bother to verify the size of file they copy against the free space on target device.

So how it would work is that when the disk is full, TC presents an extra option to split the file and ask user to replace volume. Operation would continue as in case of splitting file.
Tyr Antilles

Post by *Tyr Antilles »

No, is not about splitting, the files are already at a size of 1.4 Mb (rar volumes). When I try to copy these files on diskettes (insert empty diskette, select all files of 1.4Mb and start copy) after first diskette is full I don't get the option as usual to continue (some kind of "replace the disk and hit continue when ready"), but instead the only options available are skip and cancel, not continue. On older versions of T.C. I am allowed to continue copy on adnother empty diskette. That's it.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I will check that - I don't remember changing anything in this function, though. Maybe you changed copy functions (e.g. to compatibility mode)?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Tyr Antilles

Post by *Tyr Antilles »

Thank you. I have tested this on other computer and the same thing happend. I can also send a picture with the "problem" if you give me a mail address because I don't know how to insert pictures in posts here on forum.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Just upload the screenshot here and post the link:
http://imageshack.us/

Embedded pictures are not supported here.

Icfu
This account is for sale
Tyr Antilles

Post by *Tyr Antilles »

Thanks Icfu. That site is really useful. Here is the link: http://img239.echo.cx/img239/1328/tcomvol0sb.gif
szlori

Post by *szlori »

Sorry for writing something without any test, but I don't have floppies with me right now... :?

Don't you need those volumes to be 1,457,664 bytes (instead of 1,400,000 as seen from your image)?
Might be that TC tries to start copying the second volume on the same floppy, since it still has 57,664 bytes free, then the disk gets full?

As said, I can't try this right now, but you could try making the volumes exactly 1,44MB (that is 1,457,664 bytes) and see if you get the same problem.
Clo

Size for now

Post by *Clo »

2szlori
:) Hello !
- Maybe the issue is that the diskettes you can purchase are no longer 1.44 MB nowadays ?
- Any new empty Win-formatted diskette I place in a floppy-drive here displays 1.3 MB

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Tyr Antilles

Post by *Tyr Antilles »

Ok, I have the volumes at 1,400,000 because some diskettes have bad sectors and they don't always have 1,457,664 bytes. And I am not talking about diskettes smaller then 1.4Mb. I am using lots of diskettes because at my workplace I don't have anything else. With older vresions of T.C. I haven't such problem. I think that other versions always do a check of free space on disk and automatically prompt me for another diskette, thing that not happen on vers. 6.52.

Here, this one is a screenshot of T.C. 6.52: http://img239.echo.cx/img239/1328/tcomvol0sb.gif
And here is one of T.C. 5.51: http://img285.echo.cx/img285/5802/tcom551vol5en.gif

Annyway, T.C. is by far a better file manager then anything else I saw, that's why I try to help a bit...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2Tyr Antilles
I have checked it now, and found out the following:

1. Your screenshot from TC 5.51 also appears in the current version when you use normal copy mode
2. Your screenshot from TC 6.52 appears if either
a) You use Configuration - Copy/Delete - Compatibility mode for either source or target drive, or
b) You have disabled Configuration - Operation - Calculate space... - before copying/deleting

For case 2a, I will add some additional code to add a "Retry" button when the "disk full" message is shown.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Tyr Antilles

Post by *Tyr Antilles »

I have installed again version 6.52 and check out both config. options and they are like you told me. Now is working just fine.
Hmm, i wonder what happend first time because I am pretty sure that I didn't changed the default configuration. Annyway, if no one else encountered that problem, means that something on my comp is (or it was) screwd, or someone else changed my config (unlikely).
Thank you very much for your time and for your support, and congrats for the best file manager.
Tyr Antilles

Post by *Tyr Antilles »

Heh, but after few days the problem appeared again exacly like before. At this time I check closely the config - options and are all as they should be, and the problem is still here...
But if you check out and is OK, means that is something wrong in my system since this problem only happen to me...