Add TC instance number to titles for separate (non-modal) windows

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Add TC instance number to titles for separate (non-modal) windows

Post by *Usher »

Lister, Find Files in separate process (Alt+Shift+F7), Compare contents, Copy in background, BTM (any other?) are non-modal windows. I open them from at least two TC instances (for example, normal and tested with fresh ini or current beta and previous beta) to compare TC behavior during tests. Suppose I have the same file open in both Lister instances, and sometimes I close wrong instance. It won't happen when I see the instance number in the window title.
Last edited by Usher on 2021-03-20, 19:19 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
jinsight

Re: Add TC instance number to titles for separate (non-modal) windows

Post by *jinsight »

Support++
License #1945
Windows 10 Pro x64
Version 22H2 (OS Build 19045.3930)
TC 11.00 x64 and x86, Everything 1.5.0.1366a x64, QAP 11.6.3.1 x64
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

Related suggestion: to personalize TC's icon per its instance, I suggested to make it based on currently avaliable possibility to change TC's icon via parameter IconLib (by introducing additional IconLib<instancenumber>= parameters). The suggestion could be expanded by adding a possibility to set custom icons by similar parameters also for Find Files and other windows and their instances.

Regarding TC's instance number, I think for modal windows like Find Files etc. TC can also show the number of parent TC instance.

Also, to the list of windows for both suggestions about custom icon and instance number for me it's important to include the windows of "Background copy"/BTM, because multiple copies of them could be created in different TC instances. And own notification area (tray) icons for them to control their minimize/restore states would also be very helpful in this context.

Talking in partucular of Find Files tool, I think instance number in title + custom icon per instance is not enough to switch to desired instance as quickly as possible.
I already suggested to add an ability to set the names of Find Files search sessions which could be shown in Find Files title. This suggestion can be expanded by a possibility to use the patterns similiar to those existing in MRT to define the session name by parameters used in search, e.g. something like

Code: Select all

[N1-4] [T1-7] [1P1-5] [I]
to show in the tiitle of Find Files: characters of 1-4 of "Search for" field; characters 1-7 of "Text" field; the string which describes the first wdx plugin used for search in the format Plugin|Property|OP|Value; the value of Search in: field.
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Support++
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

There was something done in that matter:
HISTORY.TXT wrote:18.03.22 Added: Search dialog launched in separate process now shows "Find Files (separate)" in the title bar, so it can be distinguished from internal search (32/64)
But instance numbers are still missing.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator