Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

WebDAV plugin: not expected behavior of Updir [..] in root of server

Post by *DrShark »

To reproduce the issue:
1. Share some files/dirs on one first phone with TC4A's WiFi-WLAN plugin.
2. On another phone, connect to same WiFi access point and create a new server with a name of first phone as a connection name and server with almost exact address data provided by WiFi Transfer plugin on the first phone, though you have to strip "http://" part from it when typing the "Server name/directory" in Edit Server dialog of WebDAV plugin.
3. Enter the server connection you added to WebDAV plugin, TC4A will open a path that will look like:
///WebDAV/<Phone name (connection name)>/<part of WiFi Plugin's URL after last slash>/

Total Commander for Android now should show the fil
4. Try to tap on updir (".." item in filelist):
TC4A will briefly show some progress dialog with the

///WebDAV/<Phone name (connection name)>/

path and an error with word "Forbidden".

Then the panel will be refreshed by TC4A, but the location won't change.
5. Tap the updir ("..") again:
TC4A will go to own Home folder.

Expected behavior: after a tap on .. TC4A either should open ///WebDAV/<Phone name (connection name)>/, even though TC currently treats that location as Forbidden, and show there the updir item (to jump to ///WebDAV/) and the <part of WiFi Plugin's URL after last slash>/ dir (to go back), or it should immediately jump upper to the ///WebDAV/ (but not to Home folder!), of course doing this on a first try of a tap on "..".
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: WebDAV plugin: not expected behavior of Updir [..] in root of server

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This happens because the WiFi transfer plugin uses a 4 digit directory name as an access code. You are not allowed to go to the directrory above and will get a "forbidden" HTTP error.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2021-08-18, 08:43 UTC This happens because the WiFi transfer plugin uses a 4 digit directory name as an access code. You are not allowed to go to the directrory above and will get a "forbidden" HTTP error.
Maybe you could allow access to that forbidden dir under a condition that TC4A will only show pesudo-file <forbidden>, the updir and the access-code dir there? This would make it possible to navigate between
///WevDAV/ - ////WevDAV/Connection name/ - ////WevDAV/Connection name/Access code/

Or could you at least make the jump to the ///WebDAV/ instead of Home folder after TC (or plugin) encounters this "forbidden" error after a tap on updir in the /Access code/ dir?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I could try that, but I don't know how other clients would react then - there are predetermined HTTP errors to use here.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2021-08-20, 13:30 UTC I could try that, but I don't know how other clients would react then - there are predetermined HTTP errors to use here.
OK, I don't know how it works in other WebDAV configurations, but the way TC/plugin treat this Forbidden error look strange to me:
After a tap on updir, TC briefly shows the dialog with a title Forbidden and the name of that forbidden dir user tried to enter, then refreshes current dir. A second time user taps the updir TC just jumps to Home folder.
I wonder whether other WebDAV users expect this kind of behavior... Or handling of such kind of "Forbidden" error very this way is described somewhere in WebDAV protocol standards?