TC IrfanView Plugin

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TC IrfanView Plugin

Post by *tuska »

2Horst.Epp
2AkulaBig

Please wait a bit with your messages - I'll test the topic "TC IrfanView Plugin" again now...

After that I will open a new topic in the forum "Total Commander (English)" and post my feedback and my test results there.
We need to get away from the topic "TC IrfanView Plugin" here and switch to the topic "TCSumatraPDF Plugin".
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

AkulaBig wrote: 2023-06-23, 18:23 UTC
Horst.Epp wrote: 2023-06-23, 15:25 UTC then TCSumatraPDF Plugin 1.3 x86 does NOT consider the order of processing the plugins from top to bottom.
You are absolutely right. But usually tuska asks hard questions. They are not clear the first time, since I use a translator. Therefore, I do not swear, but I think, suddenly tuska is right.
There is no difference between plugins logic in TC x86 and x64.
A plugin never knows what other plugins are there and doesn't control the loading order.
The only decision a plugin can make is to process the file type given from TC or not.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3527)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1373a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

2Horst.Epp & AkulaBig
Confirmed!

I am very sorry for my wrong assumptions! Details to follow...
Test results, etc. -> Working in progress ...

Please do not reply here again to this <OffTopic> topic "TCSumatraPDF Plugin".
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

tuska wrote: 2023-06-25, 12:51 UTC I am very sorry for my wrong assumptions!
This is also the translator's fault. And also me, because I'm not very accurate in the description in the readme. For example, my main goal when writing plugins is to make them portable. Since I myself use a portable vehicle. But I'm not talking about portability anywhere. Naturally, people have a question,
why do we need the \IrfanView and \IrfanView64 folders? Now made version 1.8.6 with support for Ghostscript extensions. And only now I realized that questions will arise again, why did I make the gs folder, when if you install gs in the system, then IrfanView will read Ghostscript files without any problems. So now I realized that it is necessary to accurately describe the goal.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

The new version 1.8.6 is a bad update !
I had already installed the necessary Gostscript DLLs and defined the path in the Postscript setting of IrfanView as
C:\Tools\IrfanView\Plugins\Ghostscript\gsdll64.dll
I also had included .eps and .ps in the plugin detection string.
Viewing of .ps and .eps were working fine in version 1.8.5

The new version 1.8.6 destroys the IrfanView setting for Ghostscript by changing it to the path gs64\bin\gsdll64.dll
under the IrfanView dir, after the first try to open a .ps or .eps file with the plugin.
Even copying the DLL and its files into this path doesn't work.
.ps and .eps can no longer be viewed after this, an error message says that the DLL can't be loaded.
IrfanView itself is no longer working for such files, until I change its settings back to my DLL path.

I restored version 1.8.5 and all is fine again.
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

Horst.Epp wrote: 2023-06-26, 17:20 UTC The new version 1.8.6 is a bad update !
I had already installed the necessary Gostscript DLLs and defined the path in the Postscript setting of IrfanView as
C:\Tools\IrfanView\Plugins\Ghostscript\gsdll64.dll
Read the readme. If you have the gs libraries installed on Windows, you don't need to write any path. You just need to check the Postscript plugin so that the paths are read from the system. That is, as you had in 1.8.5.
If you want the gs libraries to become portable, then you need to check the box so that the path is read.
But the path itself does not need to be registered. Because he's still stuck.
----------------
To use the installed Ghostscript libraries, just check in IrfanView Postscript
plugin settings "Find out the GS location from the registry" item
(Tools -> Program settings... -> PlugIns -> Postscript).
To use portable libraries, Ghostscript must be unpacked libraries to the \gs and
\gs64 subfolders of the \IrfanView and \IrfanView64 folders. Mark in IrfanView
Postscript plugin settings item "Specified path"
(Tools -> Program settings... -> PlugIns -> Postscript). Way to point no need,
it will be set automatically.
----------------
Horst.Epp wrote: 2023-06-26, 17:20 UTC an error message says that the DLL can't be loaded.
Do IrfanView and gs have the same bit depth?
Horst.Epp wrote: 2023-06-26, 17:20 UTC I restored version 1.8.5 and all is fine again.
If you don't need portable gs libraries, you can use 1.8.5. In 1.8.6 the gs libraries are made portable. And that's all. No more differences.
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

Horst.Epp wrote: 2023-06-26, 17:20 UTC C:\Tools\IrfanView\Plugins\Ghostscript\gsdll64.dll
Now I saw that your libraries are not located on the right path. Read the readme on where to unpack the gs libraries. Inside the IrfanView folders, subfolders have already been created for them. \Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\IrfanView64\gs64\bin\ Only this way and nothing else.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

AkulaBig wrote: 2023-06-26, 18:54 UTC
Horst.Epp wrote: 2023-06-26, 17:20 UTC C:\Tools\IrfanView\Plugins\Ghostscript\gsdll64.dll
Now I saw that your libraries are not located on the right path. Read the readme on where to unpack the gs libraries. Inside the IrfanView folders, subfolders have already been created for them. \Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\IrfanView64\gs64\bin\ Only this way and nothing else.
Who are you to tell the user where to install stuff instead of working with the setup the user created?
That is terrible coding....
Hoecker sie sind raus!
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2023-06-26, 19:03 UTC Who are you to tell the user where to install stuff instead of working with the setup the user created?
I am the author of the plugin, and I do as I see fit.
Sir_SiLvA wrote: 2023-06-26, 19:03 UTC That is terrible coding....
If you can't even read the readme and understand why I did this, don't use my plugin. It doesn't matter to me at all. I didn’t sell you anything and I don’t owe you anything for you to communicate with me in such a tone.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Sorry, but without your new plugin version,
all is fine with IrfanView and Gostscript even with your plugin.

IrfanView just needs a DLL and its library file in a Dir, and the path to the DLL in its settings.
This works perfect and is portable, as the system doesn't need any Ghostscript installation.

It's your plugin, but you designed something which isn't needed
and doesn't work with an already fully configured, working IrfanView.

I'm a fan of your plugin, but I don't like your last answers to Sir_SiLvA.
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

AkulaBig wrote: 2023-06-26, 19:24 UTC I am the author of the plugin, and I do as I see fit.
Exactly and that was the point, imho you should not ignore setups like Horst.Epp's and force your will upon
the user but instead respect the setup of users.

PS: Im sorry if my "tone" of written text offended you, english is not my mother tongue.
Hoecker sie sind raus!
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

Horst.Epp wrote: 2023-06-26, 20:07 UTC the path to the DLL in its settings.
The IrfanView Postscript plugin only supports absolute paths. That is, if you transfer Total Commander to another location, you will again have to write the path to the gs libraries. My plugin automatically detects the location of the libraries. But for this you need to place them in certain folders.
This makes my TCIrfanView plugin fully portable. If you place the gs libraries in your path, and do not install them into the system, what difference does it make in which folder they will be located? And they won't be portable any other way. After all, the location of the portable IrfanView in the plugin folder does not raise a question for you.
Why don't you like the location of the portable gs?
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

AkulaBig wrote: 2023-06-26, 20:40 UTC
Horst.Epp wrote: 2023-06-26, 20:07 UTC the path to the DLL in its settings.
The IrfanView Postscript plugin only supports absolute paths. That is, if you transfer Total Commander to another location, you will again have to write the path to the gs libraries. My plugin automatically detects the location of the libraries. But for this you need to place them in certain folders.
This makes my TCIrfanView plugin fully portable. If you place the gs libraries in your path, and do not install them into the system, what difference does it make in which folder they will be located? And they won't be portable any other way. After all, the location of the portable IrfanView in the plugin folder does not raise a question for you.
Why don't you like the location of the portable gs?
My desktop settings are not the same as my portable installation on a USB stick.
There I run software which always assigns the same drive letter.
But this is not the point here, your plugin was not said to only work for portable installations.
As already said, it's bad coding to change users settings without consent.
Running your plugin changes the IrfanView ini file, which is not yours and outside of the plugins dir.
After this, IrfanView does no longer work for .ps and .eps files.
I'll stay with version 1.8.5 for now.
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

Horst.Epp wrote: 2023-06-27, 08:26 UTC I'll stay with version 1.8.5 for now.
I'm already redoing the plugin. Now the path settings will be taken from irfanview.ini, according to the type of registration of paths to IrfanView.
Although I think that the situation is ambiguous. I thought that it is more convenient for the user when everything is written automatically. But a lot of people have already complained. So I'm redoing the code. But it will be more difficult to understand.
Because the paths to gs must be written depending on the bitness of IrfanView, and not on the TC.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

There is no problem with this, most users will understand this dependency.
I have stored the DLL files from gs10012w64.exe into the x64 IrfanView plugins
and set the path to this DLL.

Your plugin ini contains the same path for IrfanView
path64=C:\Tools\IrfanView\i_view64.exe
path=C:\Tools\IrfanView\i_view64.exe

I can use your plugin (1.8.5) to view .eps and .ps files with x86 and x64 TC :D
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64