The chaos of back history of many tabls by Xbutton on mouse

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

cky

The chaos of back history of many tabls by Xbutton on mouse

Post by *cky »

Dear G,
I am a ordinary user of TC. I found a bug of TC, we I opened many tabs (>= 2), than, when I press the xbutton (the side button on mouse pressed by thumb) on mouse to go back to the previous directories, the go back sequence was chaos, mixed all the history of all the tabs! I tried all the methods I could find, but the problem still kept there. I hope you can fix this problems.
Thank you for your attention and I am sorry my English is poor. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

yours sincerely,
TC users.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: The chaos of back history of many tabls by Xbutton on mouse

Post by *Dalai »

History in TC lists directories of all tabs of one panel, i.e. the history is shared among all tabs of one panel. It has always been this way, so it's not bug (and there's nothing to fix). It's been suggested a couple of times to make tabs have their own history, but so far Ghisler has decided against it and also said why he thinks it's not a good idea. Maybe chime in on the existing threads if you want this behavior to change. But keep in mind that probably many people are used to the existing behavior.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I have tried it, it's not practical to have separate histories per tab. It's not like a web browser where you often access one site per tab, an then go to subpages of that web server. In a file manager, most tabs point to the same "server" (your PC), so you wouldn't usually know on which tab you visited a certain directory.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
cky

Post by *cky »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2021-09-20, 13:51 UTC I have tried it, it's not practical to have separate histories per tab. It's not like a web browser where you often access one site per tab, an then go to subpages of that web server. In a file manager, most tabs point to the same "server" (your PC), so you wouldn't usually know on which tab you visited a certain directory.
thank you very much. Maybe, many users of tc have used to the "one history", but many users also hope using the separate histories per tab. If you can provide the options to let the users to choose which mode to use? thank you again.
cky

Post by *cky »

Dalai wrote: 2021-09-18, 10:21 UTC History in TC lists directories of all tabs of one panel, i.e. the history is shared among all tabs of one panel. It has always been this way, so it's not bug (and there's nothing to fix). It's been suggested a couple of times to make tabs have their own history, but so far Ghisler has decided against it and also said why he thinks it's not a good idea. Maybe chime in on the existing threads if you want this behavior to change. But keep in mind that probably many people are used to the existing behavior.

Regards
Dalai
thank you very much for your help. If many users have the requests of separated histories for each tab, we can give the advises to the author. if there is an option to choose which mode to use, it is perfect. Another question, I am a fresh user, I am not familiar with these two plugins. thank you.
cky

Post by *cky »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2021-09-20, 13:51 UTC I have tried it, it's not practical to have separate histories per tab. It's not like a web browser where you often access one site per tab, an then go to subpages of that web server. In a file manager, most tabs point to the same "server" (your PC), so you wouldn't usually know on which tab you visited a certain directory.
maybe, another choice, if we can choose, if the xbutton1 button go to the histories or go to the parent folder (as the backspace on keyboard does).