Quick Search: improvements for matching abort; separate mode for on demand matching start

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Quick Search: improvements for matching abort; separate mode for on demand matching start

Post by *DrShark »

2ghisler(Author)
Samuel wrote: 2018-06-15, 02:38 UTC Version 2.2.7 is available.

Code: Select all

[...]
- Added pressing and holding ESC interrupts the matching process. Could be used when the match process is slow, because a long text is pasted or plugins slow down the process.
QuickSearch eXtended
Samuel wrote: 2018-06-16, 15:54 UTC
DrShark wrote: 2018-06-16, 09:31 UTC[Still,]
1. If user is holding Esc while and still after string is pasted, QSX window is closed. Is it possible to make Esc only to stop filtering, so QSX window could be closed with separate Esc keypress?
The input field is created and handled by TC. No possibility for me to change the behavior.
Would it be possible to do something about this? Could TC keep QuickSearch dialog opened if Esc is on hold/pressed while/short moment after the characters are pasted from clipboard?
Samuel wrote: 2018-06-16, 15:54 UTC
DrShark wrote: 2018-06-16, 09:31 UTC2. If user is holding Esc while pasting, but releases it before pasting is done, QSX will filter for characters that pasted while Esc wasn't being pressed. It would be nice if after following closing and reopening QSX GUI (Esc->Ctrl+S) in search window real string (characters) for which QSX was/is filtering would be restored instead of full pasted string.
The input field is created and handled by TC. No possibility for me to change the behavior.
Could TC restore the real string, for which TC actually filters the panel, in reopened dialog?

I also have addition suggestion for Quick Search to add a new mode for it which will completely disable character by character live filter, so user could turn filter on after entering the whole string.
I see its implementation in following way. Currently Quick Search has 2 states for the filter status: enabled or disabled, and user switches between this modes with Ctrl+S key.
I suggest to add a 3rd state, in which user will be able to enter a desired string and then apply a command to start filtering for it. Switching to this mode could be done with additional Ctrl+S keypress which would now cycle between 3 modes:
* filtering is disabled (current TC behavior when "Ctrl+S" button in Quick Search dialog not pressed).
* live filtering is enabled (current TC behavior when "Ctrl+S" button in Quick Search dialog is pressed) - in this mode TC filters panel in live each time new character is typed in dialog
* on demand filtering is enabled - new mode, which will require new "Ctrl+S" button icon. In this mode, filtering won't start when characters appear in Quick Search input field. User will have to press a separate (not "Ctrl+S"!) button (there is a place for one between the "Search:" word and the input field of Quick Search dialog) or hotkey to filter for what was typed.
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708