Font settings for tooltips

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

funkymonk

Font settings for tooltips

Post by *funkymonk »

Hello,

TC ini files accept

Code: Select all

FontNameTip=Consolas
FontSizeTip=11
etc.
for configuring the tooltip font. However, I am missing the corresponding config options in the config dialog.

And: If no tooltip font is configured for a particular screen resolution, shouldn't TC use the configuration from [AllResolutions]? It currently doesn't do so. This seems to be intended according to the manual; still it is a bit counterintuitive to me...

BR
funkymonk.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Font settings for tooltips

Post by *petermad »

2funkymonk
However, I am missing the corresponding config options in the config dialog.
There are hundreds of parameters that can only be set in the wincmd.ini file and not in the Configuration dialog.
If no tooltip font is configured for a particular screen resolution, shouldn't TC use the configuration from [AllResolutions]?
If you have a [AllResolutions] section then all other sections in a form like [1024x768 (10x20)] are ignored.
And yes - FontNameTip= does work when used in the [AllResolutions] section - remember to restart TC after changing wincmd.ini manually to see the effect.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
funkymonk

Post by *funkymonk »

petermad wrote: 2021-09-27, 21:37 UTC 2funkymonk
However, I am missing the corresponding config options in the config dialog.
There are hundreds of parameters that can only be set in the wincmd.ini file and not in the Configuration dialog.
True -- and that's fine. Still, since some of the fonts can be configured in the config dialog I find it inconsistent/incomplete that this one is missing. But that's just an opinion and a minor suggestion.
petermad wrote: 2021-09-27, 21:37 UTC
If no tooltip font is configured for a particular screen resolution, shouldn't TC use the configuration from [AllResolutions]?
If you have a [AllResolutions] section then all other sections in a form like [1024x768 (10x20)] are ignored.
And yes - FontNameTip= does work when used in the [AllResolutions] section - remember to restart TC after changing wincmd.ini manually to see the effect.
Not confirmed. Or maybe we misunderstood each other.

My ini contains [AllResolutions] as well as individual sections for different resolutions.
  • If ResolutionSpecific=0 then [AllResolutions] applies and the other sections are ignored. That's how it should be according to the manual. Fine.
  • If ResolutionSpecific=1 then [AllResolutions] is ignored and the resolution specific settings apply. This sounds kind of intuitive but leaves one scenario out of consideration:

Let's say a user wants some configuration resolution-independent (e.g., FontNameTip) but others resolution-specific (e.g., FontSizeTip). In this example, FontNameTip still needs to show up *explicitly* in all resolution sections. If the entry is missing in a section, then TC falls back to another font which cannot be configured. It is *not* the one in [AllResolutions].

For the configuration

Code: Select all

[Configuration]
    ResolutionSpecific=1
    [AllResolutions]
    FontNameTip=Consolas
    FontSizeTip=11
    [3840x2160 (10x20)]
    FontSizeTip=14

on a 3840x2160 screen, TC shows the tooltips in a font that is different from Consolas. The size 14, which is ok.
    Wouldn't it be more intuitive to show it in Consolas (from [AllResolutions]), 14 (resolution-specific)?

In more general words: If a certain setting is missing in a resolutions-specific section (or if the resolution-specific section is missing at all), there should be a "universal fallback section". [AllResolutions] would be fine for me but it might also be another one.

BR
funkymonk.
funkymonk

Post by *funkymonk »

I just did some more investigation on this and found out an interesting behavior:

If FontNameTip is missing in a resolution-specific section but FontNameDialog is available, the tooltips are shown in FontNameDialog. Is this intended or a bug?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2funkymonk
My ini contains [AllResolutions] as well as individual sections for different resolutions.

If ResolutionSpecific=0 then [AllResolutions] applies and the other sections are ignored. That's how it should be according to the manual. Fine.
If ResolutionSpecific=1 then [AllResolutions] is ignored and the resolution specific settings apply. This sounds kind of intuitive but leaves one scenario out of consideration:
Correct, I didn't take into consideration using ResolutionSpecific=1.

In more general words: If a certain setting is missing in a resolutions-specific section (or if the resolution-specific section is missing at all), there should be a "universal fallback section". [AllResolutions] would be fine for me but it might also be another one.
Yes, that would be a nice and intuitive feature.

If FontNameTip is missing in a resolution-specific section but FontNameDialog is available, the tooltips are shown in FontNameDialog. Is this intended or a bug?
I think it is by design, because FontNameTip, FontSizeTip and FontWeightTip are relatively new parameters (introduced in Total Commander 8.0 beta 22).
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar