Problems with Opening Different Types of File - Just from TC

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

N1ka

Problems with Opening Different Types of File - Just from TC

Post by *N1ka »

Hi,

I have a really strange problem. I have been using TC on my previous smartphones (including other Xiaomi Redmi/Note), and this is the first time that I encounter this issue.

When I browse my folders and I try to open any JPG or PNG picture - I get an error "File Format isn't Supported or Files are Corrupted" (in Gallery app).
If I try to open it with other apps like "F-Stop" (from TC) - it just shows a black screen for a moment and then exits to TC.
I can open them from preinstalled File Manager without any problems.
I have tried to save these images to my PC - I can open them there with no problem.
I installed Solid Explorer just to experiment - and I can open all of my pictures from SE. Both in Gallery and in F-Stop.
Moreover - SE has its own image viewer, and I can open any picture from SE in SE image viewer.
If I try to open the pictures from TC, and say "open in SE Pic Viewer" - it just blacks the screen and shows "watch ticking" (like working on it, but never ends).
This happens on both internal and external memory, DCIM, Camera, Screenshots folders... I am unable to open any picture - image from TC.

I have tried to clear cache, clear storage for TC - but it didn't help.

One more info: When I try to open the image, and I get "File Format isn't Supported or Files are Corrupted" (in Gallery app), if I click the three dots - Detail info, I get:
Local path: content://com.ghisler.files/storage/emulated/...(and then the path of the file location.
If I open it from any file explorer, in Gallery - Detail info, I get:
Local path: Internal storage/...(and then the path of the file location (this file was on internal memory).

I suppose that that's the problem - for whatever reason - TC is looking for a file in it's own folder. Now - if the Clear cache and storage don't help - how can I try to fix the issue?

Additional info:
- I have a similar problem with my PDF files. If I try to open them from TC - I get a "File doesn't exist or can't be opened." message. I can open any PDF from SE and other apps.
- I CAN open video - movies from TC. Anyone that I tried.
- I can open music ONLY in TC built-in audio player. Other audio players give me the "Error - unable to play the content". If I open the music files from players or other file explorers - they are working fine...

Thanks for any help,

cheers
Nika

------------------------------
Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro
MIUI Global 12.0.4
Android 11
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Problems with Opening Different Types of File - Just from TC

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Total Commander is passing the file as a content: URL to other apps. If you browse via /storage/emulated/0, then TC sends an URL to its own content provider. If you browse via virtual folders added via "add custom location", then it passes that content URL to other apps. You may try to use that second method for apps which cannot handle all types of content URLs.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
N1ka

Re: Problems with Opening Different Types of File - Just from TC

Post by *N1ka »

Hi.
Thank you for the answer.
I consider myself as a quite an IT literate person, but I have to admit that I didn't understand what you are saying.
Yes - I browse my files and folders from the TC Home screen, as always - via /storage/emulated/0...
Now - if you mean to add a custom folder to TCs home screen, and to open the folder from there and open the file - it is not working either.

However - I might have some progress. I still didn't set a default app to open pictures, as I use 2 of them as per need. I opened a random JPG picture from File Manager, and I set the Galery as a default app, so every next JPG file is opened directly in Galery, without the prompt.
Now I am able to open the JPG file also from TC. The same goes for PNGs also.
I am not sure why I was before able to choose the app and open pics from other File managers, but not from TC - well - never mind. It is solved, kind of.
The PDF is a bit tougher, I am trying to solve it also. If I find any solution (or workaround) - I will share it here.

Bottom line - I am 100% positive that the issue is with my OS / settings, not the TC itself - otherwise, many other users would have the same problems.

Thank you very much for this wonderful app,
cheers,
Nika