Hotkey indicator missing in ButtonBar Menus

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

funkymonk

Hotkey indicator missing in ButtonBar Menus

Post by *funkymonk »

Hello!

When adding a .bar file to the main button bar with "Show as menu" enabled, the .bar file shows as a menu below its icon instead of replacing the main button bar. This is great!
However, if the entries in the .bar file have hotkeys assigned to them, the hotkey indicator (i.e., the thin line under the key character) does not always show up.

On my machines (Win8/10, TC10.00) , the phenomena is reproducible as follows:

Let's say the .bar file contains an entry with tooltip "&Tool".
  • When activating the main button bar via cm_FocusButtonBar and opening the .bar with the keyboard (arrow keys and return), the "T" *does* show the line below: "Tool" --> OK
  • When opening the menu by clicking on the icon in the main button bar with the mouse, the "&" is removed but the "T" has *no* line below: "Tool" --> This seems to be a bug.
In any case, pressing "T" starts the Tool -- independent from whether the indicator is shown or not.

Can you please confirm?

---

BTW: Such hotkeys are only supported if a .bar file is shown as a menu. They are ignored if the .bar file is shown as the main button bar itself. Then, the mouse over of the icon shows the "&" character itself: "&Menu" instead of "Menu" (or just "Menu").
For improved accessibility via the keyboard, it would be great if TC would accept the hotkeys also for entries in the current main button bar.

What's your opinion? (I can also put this as a suggestion...)

BR
funkymonk.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Hotkey indicator missing in ButtonBar Menus

Post by *Dalai »

This is not a bug but a Windows "feature" affecting (potentially) all Windows programs and has been discussed a couple of times. See this post for example (and the post below that from me).

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

When opening the menu by clicking on the icon in the main button bar with the mouse, the "&" is removed but the "T" has *no* line below: "Tool" --> This seems to be a bug.
Try to enable the Windows Setting -> "Ease of Access" -> "Keyboard" -> "Change how keyboard shortcuts work" -> "Underline access keys when available"
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
funkymonk

Post by *funkymonk »

Ok, this is really strange behavior.

The access keys are always underlined when accessing the button bar menus with the keyboard.
But when opening the same menus with a mouse click, they are not -- unless "Underline access keys when available" is activated in Windows.

Good to know.
(Even though I cannot think of a single application among the many I use every day that does not indicate the access keys when opening the menus with a mouse click. But fine, I will keep an eye on that.)

Thank you community (petermad / Dalai)!
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

funkymonk wrote: 2021-10-04, 13:26 UTC(Even though I cannot think of a single application among the many I use every day that does not indicate the access keys when opening the menus with a mouse click. But fine, I will keep an eye on that.)
All Win32 applications which have a menu and are shipped with Windows behave the same way, be it Notepad, WordPad, Paint, Calculator and so on. Note that there are exceptions to the rule, as applications are able to show these indicators regardless of the Windows setting, especially when an application has its own theming engine like browsers, media players or similar.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror