[Suggest] Sync util. Removed/renamed files problem.

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Please select useful level for you.

-1 - This advice is harmful
25%
0 - Minimum amount of benefit. Mostly perfectionalism
50%
1 - Healthy. I would like to see in future versions
No votes
2 - Hot. I need it very often
25%

Total votes: 4

Sergey6257

[Suggest] Sync util. Removed/renamed files problem.

Post by *Sergey6257 »

Sometimes with work process files has been destroying, and relocates and etc.
In theese cases Sync utility cannot detect that it's normally behavior and it offers me to restore theese files/folders from my sync catalog. And I need to remember what happend with my structure.

->It would be one of solution to make a "history mode" for tab of panel.

It would make a ".history" file on every folder, that contains destructed events like remove, rename and datetime, of each file/folder, all events, that filesystem cannot provide. And deletes this file in syncronization process (in history mode too).

It is noteworthy that the history mode can be turned on not only for the folder in the history mode, tk. the switch must be independent in the sync window

-> New special mode in sync utility ".history mode", that no change sync strategy, but change strategy of making decision of rename/remove/side coping...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [Suggest] Sync util. Removed/renamed files problem.

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

That would only log events created by Total Commander. It would not take into account files changed by other apps, e.g. when you save something in a word processor to a new location.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Sergey6257

Re: [Suggest] Sync util. Removed/renamed files problem.

Post by *Sergey6257 »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2021-10-04, 17:38 UTC
Changing files by other application is not a problem while it makes changing datetime of file.
Also creating a new file doesnt take undefined behavior.

The problem happens when my file has been deleted by me. And it's right changing.
In this situation I expect the Total Commander understand it and when I start the sync util, it'll offer me to remove file on server.

( I've listened that windows can send file system changed events, but it works not always. This is why I offer to trust the history file instead of another mechanisms whitch doesnt gives guaranties that they are realised in current system. )

This idea is trying to make one step to make TC is also full-featured utility to syncronisation.