Overwrite manually set sort order with auto-switched default view mode's sort order

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

9kvD38n6

Overwrite manually set sort order with auto-switched default view mode's sort order

Post by *9kvD38n6 »

Sound complicated, huh?

Well, it so happens that when, with auto-switch view mode enabled, when I switch to a folder that has a custom view mode, e. g. with files sorted by date, and then view a different folder, TC automatically reverts to the default view mode and hence the default sort order. So everything is hunky-dory.

However, when I switch to any folder, then manually sort by date, then change to another folder, auto-switch view mode either does not kick in or it does not 'overwrite' the date-based manual sort order with the sort order of the default view mode. So files are sorted by date until I manually revert to my default sort order, even after I have switched to another folder. I find this somewhat tedious.

My question is, is there an option to force auto-switch to trump manual sort order? I realize it may sometimes be undesirable, e. g. when moving on top subfolders where you also want the date sort order, but I think I'd still prefer it.

Alternatively, have any other users figured out a satisfactory way to handle this?

Thanks
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Overwrite manually set sort order with auto-switched default view mode's sort order

Post by *petermad »

To always sort by name when you change folder:
1. Make a View Mode named "Folder".
2. Put *cm_SrcByName in the "Auto-run commands:" field (notice the asterisk before the command).
3. Make a Auto Switch mode at the end of the list with:
"Rule:" D: Directory
"Set this mode to:" Folder
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
9kvD38n6

Re: Overwrite manually set sort order with auto-switched default view mode's sort order

Post by *9kvD38n6 »

Okay, thanks a lot, I'll give it a shot. Problem is, my default sort order is rather complex - sorts by a custom column first, then by extension, so I guess there is no internal / autorun command to accomplish this...
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

29kvD38n6
Problem is, my default sort order is rather complex - sorts by a custom column first, then by extension
yes that is a problem. I tried with *cm_SrcViewMode0 in the "Auto-run commands:" field but for some reason the * is ignored, so it only works when leaving a folder with an explicit View Mode, not when just shifting to any directory.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
9kvD38n6

Post by *9kvD38n6 »

Too bad, but thanks a lot for trying!