LAN / SMB Plugin no longer connects

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

svg1234

LAN / SMB Plugin no longer connects

Post by *svg1234 »

I've been using TC on various android phones for many years. Never had a problem connecting to my PC over the network w/ the plugin.
I recently changed ISPs to OXIO and have to use their EERO router, which only has two ethernet ports.
Thus, I added a 4-port switch in order to have more physical ethernet ports. So I now have a switch/router/modem setup. It's pretty straightforward. Everything on the network is working perfectly fine.
However, I can no longer connect from my phone to my PC using TC.

Error message: "SMB2 Connect....java.util.connection.concurrent.ExecutionException...com.b.k.b.d...javaIO.IOException...unknown packet format."

I've tried enabling and disabling the various SMB settings in TC and in samba. (Running arch linux on the PC).
I've tried deleting and adding a new ///LAN entry.
I use the IP address of my PC directly rather than using the hostname ("ARCH"), but I've tried both and neither works.

I guess it's either the addition of a switch or something to do with the EERO router. (Oddly, the EERO's internal IP addresses off the DHCP server are set to 192.168.4.x).

Is there any solution or workaround for this?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: LAN / SMB Plugin no longer connects

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I have checked the smbj source code for this error "unknown packet format". It seems to happen when the library receives a data packet with unknown/unusable content. Somehow the data gets corrupted. Could you try a different port on the switch for the connection to the router and/or PC? Or may be a different cable?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
svg1234

Post by *svg1234 »

Thanks for the reply. None of those things are the issue. I tested them already. The communication from the switch isn't corrupt. All other networking software and hardware is functioning 100%. It's something to do with the way the plugin and/or smbj is interpreting the packets. The packets from the switch are probably formatted slightly differently than normal (if they they were coming directly from the router) and that's causing the code to puke. At this time, I'm too busy to start inspecting packets to compare them in the two different setups to see what the difference is. If I have a chance, I'll try it with a different switch. That could be the best solution.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Maybe the switch cannot handle jumbo frames and splits up large packets?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
svg1234

Post by *svg1234 »

It's a TP Link TL-SG1005D v6
Specs say it supports jumbo frames up to 15k. I will test that later today. I'll also investigate this pita eero router.
Btw, the switch cannot split the packets. It has no ability to do that. The sender or router would split jumbo frames into smaller packets, if too large.
svg1234

Post by *svg1234 »

Well, after trying a bunch of different apps and hardware, I'm embarrassed (but pleased) to report that the problem was easily solved and was just a dumb oversight on my part. Nothing whatsoever to do with the switch!

Oh, if only I had paid more attention to what I wrote in my original post:
(Oddly, the EERO's internal IP addresses off the DHCP server are set to 192.168.4.x).
I didn't remember to edit my smb.conf to add the Eero's non-standard IP addresses to the allowed hosts line. :oops:

Problem solved. Sorry for wasting your time.
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

2svg1234
Thanks for standing up and clarifying things. Well done.