Add an option to pin the "one directory level up" line, so it will not go away when I scroll down

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

menersi

Add an option to pin the "one directory level up" line, so it will not go away when I scroll down

Post by *menersi »

In Total Commander, the first line is an empty line with an up arrow. This is a "backspace" button, it's function is "one directory level up" (going back to the previous folder).

The problem is that if I scroll down, this line disappears. And if I want to go back to the last folder, I have to scroll up always. It's uncomfortable, annoying and makes it harder and slower to manage files, to navigate in the filesystem.

Please add an option to make this line pinned/sticky/fixed/locked, so it will never go away when I scroll down.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Add an option to pin the "one directory level up" line, so it will not go away when I scroll down

Post by *Dalai »

menersi wrote: 2021-12-22, 17:31 UTCAnd if I want to go back to the last folder, I have to scroll up always.
There's no need. There are several ways to go up one, or even several, level(s):
  • Ctrl+PageUp
  • the [..] button above the column headers (next to the \ (backslash) button)
  • backspace in case the previous directory is the same as the parent directory
  • any of the "crumbs" of the breadcrumb bar (path bar)
Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Add an option to pin the "one directory level up" line, so it will not go away when I scroll down

Post by *Gral »

Dalai wrote: 2021-12-22, 18:06 UTC
menersi wrote: 2021-12-22, 17:31 UTCAnd if I want to go back to the last folder, I have to scroll up always.
There's no need. There are several ways to go up one, or even several, level(s):
Both Help and my experience tell me that "Backspace" ALWAYS takes us one level up by default.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Gral wrote: 2021-12-22, 19:25 UTCBoth Help and my experience tell me that "Backspace" ALWAYS takes us one level up by default.
True. Looks like I remembered it incorrectly. Thanks for the correction.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
menersi

Post by *menersi »

Dalai wrote: 2021-12-22, 18:06 UTC
  • Ctrl+PageUp
  • the [..] button above the column headers (next to the \ (backslash) button)
  • any of the "crumbs" of the breadcrumb bar (path bar)
Regards
Dalai
It's very much needed.

The [..] is too small and it's up in the toolbar, too far away from the files.
The breadcrumb bar is also not the solution.
The others require using the keyboard.

The "one directory level up" line is the only way. It's large, easy to click, it's close to the files/folders, it always goes one level up.

In fact, even the very first release of Total Commander should have had this option to make the "one directory level up" line pinned.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Well, I can't remember reading a similar suggestion over the past couple of years. "Very much needed" would mean that a number of people would demand such a feature over and over until it's implemented.
menersi wrote: 2021-12-22, 22:00 UTCThe [..] is too small and it's up in the toolbar, too far away from the files.
This button is about 60 pixels (or 80-85 with tabs visible) above the first line of the file panel. If that's "too far away", well... I don't know what to say. Too small might be the case, depending on the resolution, monitor DPI and window scaling factor, because these buttons are ones that aren't scaled and can't be adjusted in size like most of the rest of TC's GUI.

If you want a larger button, add a button with the command "cd .." to the button bar. But then again, that would be even farther away than the existing button - unless you put it on the vertical button bar. Your choice.
The others require using the keyboard.
True. But TC's philosophy has always been that everything has to be accessible by keyboard. Also TC's ancestors were primarily used with a keyboard. Sure, we're not in the DOS days anymore. But the thing is that keyboard interaction is faster a lot of the time.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Dalai wrote: 2021-12-22, 19:30 UTC
Gral wrote: 2021-12-22, 19:25 UTCBoth Help and my experience tell me that "Backspace" ALWAYS takes us one level up by default.
True. Looks like I remembered it incorrectly. Thanks for the correction.
You were probably thinking of Alt+LeftArrow - that key will only take you one level back if that was the last visited directory.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
menersi

Post by *menersi »

Dalai wrote: 2021-12-22, 22:19 UTC This button is about 60 pixels (or 80-85 with tabs visible) above the first line of the file panel. If that's "too far away", well... I don't know what to say. Too small might be the case, depending on the resolution, monitor DPI and window scaling factor, because these buttons are ones that aren't scaled and can't be adjusted in size like most of the rest of TC's GUI.
The "one directory level up" line is still easier to click. It's the closest thing to the files/folders (it's directly above them), It also automatically adjusts to the size of the file panel. So it's another reason why it's better. It doesn't matter if the mouse cursor is at the beginning (left side) or at the end (right side) of the file/folder name. I just move the mouse upwards and click on the "one directory level up" line. In other words, it has the same size (click area, shape) and positioning as the files/folders. Clicking on it (to go back from a folder) is the same as clicking on a folder (opening a folder). Therefore it's perfectly consistent and balanced. It's much easier and faster than any other alternative. And the solution is simple: just add an option to make it pinned. It doesn't make any sense that it scrolls away.
True. But TC's philosophy has always been that everything has to be accessible by keyboard. Also TC's ancestors were primarily used with a keyboard. Sure, we're not in the DOS days anymore. But the thing is that keyboard interaction is faster a lot of the time.
The problem is that the "one directory level up" line is sometimes accessible by mouse, sometimes isn't. It always should be accessible by mouse.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

menersi,
add an option to make it pinned. It doesn't make any sense that it scrolls away.
Why should it take up space needed for files?
If you make it pinned, how do you know you are at the top of the list?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Hacker wrote: 2021-12-22, 23:29 UTC If you make it pinned, how do you know you are at the top of the list?
I agree that it is not a good idea with a pinned first-item, but you could see if you are at the top of the list by looking at the scrollbar button (slider) - but it can be hard to see if it is at the top if there is a lot of files in the panel.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
Native2904

Post by *Native2904 »

petermad wrote: 2021-12-23, 02:05 UTC
Hacker wrote: 2021-12-22, 23:29 UTC If you make it pinned, how do you know you are at the top of the list?
I agree that it is not a good idea with a pinned first-item, but you could see if you are at the top of the list by looking at the scrollbar button (slider) - but it can be hard to see if it is at the top if there is a lot of files in the panel.
<ot>
For this reason, make it not sense to implement a tiny column on the left side, with numbers, like in some Editor's?
#270101 Single user licence.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz | RAM 24GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M | iMac14,2 Bootcamp | Windows Pro 10 - Build 19042
menersi

Post by *menersi »

Hacker wrote: 2021-12-22, 23:29 UTC Why should it take up space needed for files?
Because it's useful. Easy and quick access to "one directory level up" is more important than 1 more line for files.
And "one directory level up" is also part of the files, because it's equal to opening a folder.
If you make it pinned, how do you know you are at the top of the list?
The same way you know you are at the bottom of the list.

But if there is an option you can decide whether you enable it or not.

It would be a simple checkbox for example in the Layout or Misc settings.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Shouldn't this topic be moved to TC suggestions (English) ?
License #524 (1994)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

menersi,
Easy and quick access to "one directory level up" is more important than 1 more line for files.
No, it is not.
The same way you know you are at the bottom of the list.
So you simply want to make it more difficult.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

In the usual spreadsheet applications, pinned lines are a bit easier to spot: there are numbers in front of each line, and then there's the scrollbar. In TC you would need to solely rely on the scrollbar. The scroll thing part gets quite small when in a directory with many objects - the longer the list the smaller the scroll thing gets. And scrollbars are getting thinner and thinner in each Windows version. So I'm wondering if it's a good idea to make it more difficult to see if the list is at the top.

Just as a side note: Thinner scrollbars are only made worse by the ridiculous trend to make scrollbars hide themselves unless you move the mouse over the scrollable area!
menersi wrote: 2021-12-23, 15:05 UTC Easy and quick access to "one directory level up" is more important than 1 more line for files.
IMO this only applies for browsing directories. At some point, you're doing something with your files and directories, don't you? Then you'll appreciate the additional space, especially when this ugly trend of monitor aspect ratios continues; much more width but only a tiny bit more height. 16:10 is dead when it comes to sizes larger than 24", i.e. only 16:9 for 27" or larger, and then there's ultra-wide stuff or 21:9. But I digress.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence