Lister opens as tiny window

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

arberg

Lister opens as tiny window

Post by *arberg »

When I open the Lister on my PC, it open in top-left corner as tiny window. I have a 5k2k high-res monitor, it could be related.

If I delete the wincmd.ini settings-lines : [Lister] x,y,dx,dy, then the problem disappear. If I save position again, then problem reverts. So it is not a big issue now I know that, I just have to avoid saving position. Note it is only the Lister where I have noticed a problem, I can save the TC start-position which is much more important.

Test setup
  • TC: Tested on TC 10.00 x64, with all plugins and appdata/ghisler removed, so it should have been tested on clean install. Also tested on TC 9.51 (maybe with plugins, but also without my personal appdata/ghisler).
  • Win 10 21H1.
  • Monitor: 5k2k, 150% scaling, changing resolution to 1920x1080, and 100% scaling did not resolve the issue (including when saving new position)
  • Note I cannot reproduce the issue on two other PCs, both running Win 10 21H1, and with monitors 1) 4k2k res + 150% scaling 2) 1920x1200 + no scaling.
The scaling I mention is the setting in windows Win-I > Display > Scale and layout

Maybe irrelevant, but if I save position on 1920x1080 resolution where lister is at near top-left corner to center-x, near bottom y, then it saves the data (and fails placing window in the top left)
x=0
y=0
dx=1719
dy=1532

See related other bug-report for TC 9.51: viewtopic.php?p=390576#p390576
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lister opens as tiny window

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Do you have more than one screen, even if one is currently turned off? Windows does some weird coordinate scaling when you have two screens with different DPI. It sometimes helps to move the corners of the window a tiny bit away from the borders.

It's also possible that the window snaps to the left half of the screen (or some other position). This snapped position cannot be saved, Windows will save the position before the window snapped there.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
arberg

Post by *arberg »

No I only have one monitor, but multiple windows desktops.

When I place the window, I also move most often move it a bit away from the corner. I was actually also supprised to see coordinates x,y=0, most often when I looked at them, x,y>0 (the lister coords).

Yeah, its a pain the snapped window cannot be saved. I tried to save the TC main window to top-right, right half of screen, and it took me ten attempts to get close enough, I finally figured out to move it to snap, then a bit out and then back. Good to know it a windows issue, I figured as much.

PS: I don't really care about the lister window, the defaults are fine, so just completely turning it off would be fine by me. Or perhaps better, offering people another entry to fix issue by delete saved position.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

There is also multiple desktop software which can interfere with the dialog position.

Do you have this problem also with windows which auto-save their position and size, like the search dialog?
RandomMarius

Post by *RandomMarius »

I have this exact same issue. I'm using TC 10.0

My single monitor dimensions are 5120x1440 (super ultra-wide) at both 100% DPI and 120%.

It works on my other multi-monitor setups.

When I delete all the [Lister] sections it auto-displays in the right half of my screen.

When I Save Position, it becomes tiny and it in the top left of my screen but the following is in config:
[Lister]
x=1642
y=483
dx=975
dy=564

I do have PowerToys Fancy Zones installed (on both my installations), but they are disabled on both as well, so it's not this.

The only difference is perhaps that the one giving issue is an AMD 6600 and the one working is an RTX 2070...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you perhaps using Windows 8? There is a crash of 64-bit Lister on Windows 8 only, which I managed to avoid by first opening a tiny Lister window which I then removed after the real lister Window had opened. This moved the crash condition to that tiny window.

From the history:
24.06.18 Fixed: Lister crash on Windows 8.1 64-bit only, happened after opening Lister multiple times (solution: keep hidden Lister open in the background) (64)

But this tiny window should only appear for a short moment and then give room to the normal Lister. Your coordinates also look OK. I haven't heard of other AMD users with this specific problem.