Can not generate QR code in Windows 11 [SOLVED]

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ycc_sweden

Can not generate QR code in Windows 11 [SOLVED]

Post by *ycc_sweden »

I can share file to TC ("Wifi Transfer") in phone, generate QR-code, read QR-code in TC Win 11 laptop and receive file.

But how do I share the file in Win 11 to get a QR code to read by TC in my (Android) phone?

Thank you so much for help and software maintenance.
Last edited by ycc_sweden on 2022-01-14, 17:19 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
ycc_sweden

Re: Can not generate QR code in Windows 11

Post by *ycc_sweden »

I try another way to transfer from laptop to Android phone:

I use the connection obtained by transferring one file from phone to laptop, reading QR-code from phone into laptop.
I have checked "allow uploads, subfolders only" (in phone) and try to transfer to phone.

Then this will happen. Transfer happens but error ocurrs.

https://imgur.com/y4hCnBv
(from sending laptop)

Maybe I must create a subdirectory in directory "_QR-code" (in phone: networks). But how do I do that?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Can not generate QR code in Windows 11

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You need to share a directory, otherwise the WiFi transfer plugin doesn't know where to put the file you send to it.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
ycc_sweden

Re: Can not generate QR code in Windows 11 [SOLVED]

Post by *ycc_sweden »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-01-14, 15:33 UTC You need to share a directory, otherwise the WiFi transfer plugin doesn't know where to put the file you send to it.
That worked. I shared a directory in the phone and copied files from the laptop, back into it.

Thank you for also taking care of newbie questions.

Solved.
ycc_sweden

Post by *ycc_sweden »

It works fine to send and receive files over wifi by establishing the connection from the phone and sharing a folder to copy into. I get 3.6 MB/s over my home network.

Right now I don't need to transfer files between two PC:s but in case I would need to do that I don't understand how to do this. I cannot generate the QR-code in Windows. Therefore I cannot establish a connection from a Windows computer. I believe the QR-code contains local IP-number of the PC and port for file transfer. Maybe I could enter this manually if I knew the port number, which I don't.

But I didn't find any way to easily generate the QR-code from within Windows (like I can do in Android) or from within Total Commander in Windows. Why is this so? Have I misunderstood the problem? Why not generate the QR-code from files and folders in Total Commander in Windows?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Right now I don't need to transfer files between two PC:s but in case I would need to do that I don't understand how to do this.
I don't currently offer a server for PC, but there are many out there which you can use. The most convenient is the SMB server in Windows itself, also known as file and printer sharing. Just right click on a server and open properties, then share it. You can then access it from the other PC via button or command line:
cd \\computer_name\share_name
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com