Two suggestions and a bug.

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Two suggestions and a bug.

Post by *petermad »

kwanbis wrote: that said, I can use another program to rename when this happens.
Or just check the [E] box before you rename with Search & Replace, as you already know ;-)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
NotNull

Re: Two suggestions and a bug.

Post by *NotNull »

kwanbis wrote: 2022-01-23, 18:03 UTC Exactly. Nobody that I know off uses extensions in folders.
You might be surprised ... 56K of those folder on my system (53K in c:\windows).
Things like the already mentioned music folders ("1988 - ...And Justice For All"), but also applications ("VMWare GSX Server v3.1 Build 9089") and a lot of zip-files that are extracted to a folder ("Dism++10.1.1000.100.zip").
(Not that a lot of people want to rename those ... )

If you have Everything installed on your system, you can see for yourself how many of those folders are on your system.
Search for "folder:." (without the "") and a couple of milliseconds later you get a list.

Folder-extension counter-argument from Windows' own PowerShell:

Code: Select all

PS T:\> dir new* | % { "$_  has extension $($_.Extension) " }
T:\New folder.2  has extension .2
T:\New.Folder.1  has extension .1
T:\new file.2  has extension .2
T:\new.file.1  has extension .1
PS T:\>
(CMD behaves the same)

As @petermad already suggested: don't remove the [E], Saves a little time too :D

All makes a bit more sense (to me at least) when you realize that you can multi-rename files and folders together in one go.