Feature Request: Linking both panels

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

sparhawk

Feature Request: Linking both panels

Post by *sparhawk »

I frequently have to compare code against changes from an older version where both views have the same directory structure. For such a task it would be great if the two windows could be "locked" together, so when I go into a new directory it does the same on the other view as well. Currently, when I move to a new path, I have to do the same on the other view as well. It would even be better, if this were not limited to entering/leaving a directory but also when moving the cursor up/down.

This might be done by simply adding a button that activates the linking mode in the middle, and until it is pressed again both views behave the same way. If a directory or file doesn't exist in the other panel, it could refuse to enter/scroll or flash or something to make the user aware of it.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Feature Request: Linking both panels

Post by *tuska »

Hi,

Try this command:

Code: Select all

cm_SyncChangeDir	2600	Synchronous directory changing in both windows
Button with command:

cm_SyncChangeDir
(on keypress: ON/OFF)

In this context, this command could also be interesting:

cm_MatchSrc	532	Target=Source
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2sparhawk

One remark about the cm_SyncChangeDir command - it is only active until you enter a directory that does not exist on both sides, after that it has to be enabled again.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
sparhawk

Post by *sparhawk »

tuska wrote: 2022-01-28, 10:34 UTC Try this command:

cm_SyncChangeDir	2600	Synchronous directory changing in both windows
Button with command:

cm_SyncChangeDir
(on keypress: ON/OFF)
Cool! :D I didn't know that such commands exist. Not sure what you mean with the button though. Can I create a custom button or where can I find this button?
Having to type this is a bit annyoing as I sure will have forgotten it, next time I need it. :D

EDIT: Just found out about the buttons. WOW! I use Totalcommander now for 20 years or so and never knew this. :)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

One remark about the cm_SyncChangeDir command - it is only active until you enter a directory that does not exist on both sides, after that it has to be enabled again.
Actually this has changed a bit in Total Commander 10: When you try to enter a directory which does not exist on the other side, Total Commander will refuse to change directory when cm_SyncChangeDir is active. When you then try again, it will turn off cm_SyncChangeDir and enter the directory.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-01-31, 13:13 UTC Actually this has changed a bit in Total Commander 10: When you try to enter a directory which does not exist on the other side, Total Commander will refuse to change directory when cm_SyncChangeDir is active. When you then try again, it will turn off cm_SyncChangeDir and enter the directory.
That's nice! I haven't even noticed it, though. Maybe you could change the line color for a second during the first attempt to make it more visible? If I press a key and nothing happens, I just think it didn't register and I try again. Some reaction, like flashing a different color, would help with that.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

umbra wrote: 2022-01-31, 14:26 UTC That's nice! I haven't even noticed it, though. Maybe you could change the line color for a second during the first attempt to make it more visible? If I press a key and nothing happens, I just think it didn't register and I try again. Some reaction, like flashing a different color, would help with that.
There is an error sound played, when TC refuses to go into the dir. TC uses the sound configured for Windows' "Asterisk" AKA "Standard beep".
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar