Ctrl+D list (Hotlist) and Alt+Down (Dir History) - filter by typing

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

nedko

Ctrl+D list (Hotlist) and Alt+Down (Dir History) - filter by typing

Post by *nedko »

I use heavily these two feature to go through the directories - Ctrl+D and Alt+Down - it is very convenient, however the usability and comfort are reduced significantly when these two lists become large.

The usability would be back to great if we had the possibility to type filter word and these lists to be filtered dynamically to the items that contain that filter word.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Ctrl+D list (Hotlist) and Alt+Down (Dir History) - filter by typing

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Support++
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3527)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1373a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
jinsight

Post by *jinsight »

Support++
License #1945
Windows 10 Pro x64
Version 22H2 (OS Build 19045.3930)
TC 11.00 x64 and x86, Everything 1.5.0.1366a x64, QAP 11.6.3.1 x64
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *hi5 »

I believe the problem here is that these are both standard menus which doesn't allow such functionality to be added, so you're probably looking at a third party solution e.g. AutoHotkey script (which wouldn't be too complicated). Apart from that, if this could be added I'm all for it of course.
F4MiniMenu (Forum) - Open selected file(s) from TC in defined editor(s) - A (minimalistic) clone of F4Menu
Source at GitHub (AutoHotkey). TCSyncComments (copy file comments)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

These are standard menus. I could replace them with a custom control like the breadcrumb bar: It appears when you move the mouse cursor over a part of the current path field, and then click on the downward triangle. Here quick search works with the options "letters" - just start typing. What do you think?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-02-25, 14:52 UTC These are standard menus. I could replace them with a custom control like the breadcrumb bar: It appears when you move the mouse cursor over a part of the current path field, and then click on the downward triangle. Here quick search works with the options "letters" - just start typing. What do you think?
The list is not necessary sorted and it triggers also on characters in the middle of the entries.
So I would not use it this way.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3527)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1373a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *hi5 »

A picture to illustrate what I have in mind:

It shows a menu with a Quick Search box at the top and the 'menu' (results) beneath it. You can have similar "start with" or "somewhere in" style matching as with Quick Search, allow the user to set this. While typing the menu shrinks to show the matching results only and you can navigate with UP/DOWN. In the example a "somewhere in" match with the letter "i" if I would type "il" (letter l) it would show filter32, filter64, utils in the menu and so on. I would use it. If I could only type the first letter to jump to it I think it would be to cumbersome (e.g. have to read to much to find the match in a longer list)

https://github.com/hi5/_resources/blob/master/quick-search-menu.png
F4MiniMenu (Forum) - Open selected file(s) from TC in defined editor(s) - A (minimalistic) clone of F4Menu
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

There is no point to include the mouse. Filtering is done by keyboard and hotlist will be called this way too. That's the fastest way.

All the entries already can be reached by underlined character, so they are just one (or two) keypresses away. I see the hotlist as list of most often used dirs on daily basis, that means few dozen of entries. Not as a list of every visited dir. For filtering directories, we have XCD (still working) and/or Everything.

I don't mind adding filtering, but not to break the current implementation of the hotlist. The search should be activated, not directly available on opening the hotlist.
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *hi5 »

solid wrote: 2022-02-26, 09:09 UTCThe search should be activated, not directly available on opening the hotlist.
Indeed, just like quick search you would have to invoke it - either via user cmd or an option in the menu (like add current dir, configure)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Would invoking the search / filter by pressing Ctrl once work? Since Ctrl-D invokes the hotlist, the finger is already on Ctrl.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *hi5 »

Maybe just integrate it all in a control/command palette viewtopic.php?p=395364#p395364
then sort results by user defined preference: hot dirs, recent dirs, visible menu options, all commands/settings. One search to rule them all.
solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

Yes, one search to bind them all is the way to go. Configurable what categories will show up in the search, with search options like Quick Search Extended by Samuel.
Something like Quick Commands in the VIvaldi browser.

Just to mention the Tiny Internal Commands Launcher by MVV for filtering cm_ and em_ commands.
Stance
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stance »

What if CTRL+S getting a history list?
You hover over that icon and after a certain time (*) you get a pop-down menu with the last directories, you have been in for a certain time.
(*) Equally to the time the keyboard is pressed.

You make it configurable in the ini-settings exclusively, to make sure the user is knowing what to do. The number of items should be configurable, the time the folder has been visited, too. I would like to see a editable history list with user defined favorites here.

That small filter-button should be placed infront of the text input field for this.
-But only if you have activated this setting.

Since I know the OP is working on a PlugIn (ExtendedF4editor or so) for Total Commander, it would be appealing to have the CTRL+S filter everywhere on the filelist, just like with the context menu.

You could also add the breadcrumble-functionality to this, for directories only; for files and folders; and exclusively for files.

A totally different way I could think of, is a combination of History list and "GoBack" function as a filter.

Übersetzung

Wie wäre es, wenn man mit CTRL+S eine Verlaufsliste erhält?
Man fährt mit dem Mauszeiger über das Symbol und nach einer bestimmten Zeit (*) erhält man ein Pop-Down-Menü mit den letzten Verzeichnissen, in denen man sich für eine bestimmte Zeit befunden hat.
(*) Das entspricht der Zeit, in der die Tastatur gedrückt wird.

Die Konfiguration erfolgt ausschließlich in den ini-Einstellungen, um sicherzustellen, dass der Benutzer weiß, was zu tun ist. Die Anzahl der Elemente sollte konfigurierbar sein, ebenso die Zeit, die der Ordner besucht wurde. Ich würde hier gerne eine editierbare Verlaufsliste mit benutzerdefinierten Favoriten sehen.

Dazu sollte der kleine Filter-Button vor dem Texteingabefeld platziert werden.
-aber nur, wenn Sie diese Einstellung aktiviert haben.

Da ich weiß, dass der OP an einem PlugIn (ExtendedF4editor oder so) für Total Commander arbeitet, wäre es reizvoll, den CTRL+S-Filter überall auf der Dateiliste zu haben, genau wie beim Kontextmenü.

Man könnte auch die Breadcrumble-Funktionalität hinzufügen, nur für Verzeichnisse; für Dateien und Ordner; und ausschließlich für Dateien.

Eine ganz andere Möglichkeit, die ich mir vorstellen kann, ist eine Kombination aus Verlaufsliste und "GoBack"-Funktion als Filter.
nedko

Post by *nedko »

AWSOME!!

I see that in version 11 we now have filtering of the Directory History! Ultra useful.

Thanks to herr Ghisler for taking the time to imlement the new feature :)

Should I dare to hope that we would have the same feature brought to the Directory Hotlist too? :)

and thanks again, feature is much appreciated!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2nedko
Should I dare to hope that we would have the same feature brought to the Directory Hotlist too?
See: viewtopic.php?p=438719#p438719
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar