TC10.50b1: Wrong strings used for extra drive space

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

yong

TC10.50b1: Wrong strings used for extra drive space

Post by *yong »

In the Configuration dialog box, Display -> Icons, under Extra drive space, wrong strings (5317 and 5318) are applied to the labels of the two drop down list boxes when the language is set to something other than English. These strings are meant for the extra icon space settings and are too long to fit in this limited space. However, when the language is set to English, the labels only show H and V - which fit in the space nicely.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TC10.50b1: Wrong strings used for extra drive space

Post by *petermad »

It is the new strings 2108 and 2109 that are used there and not 5317 and 5318. so strings like:

Code: Select all

2108="H:"
2109="V:"
works fine.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
yong

Post by *yong »

Strange. Wrong strings were used yesterday and today I find the correct strings are used there. Anyway, the configuration dialog box now shows the correct labels and I think this issue is resolved.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Very strange, I have checked my code, and strings 5317 and 5318 are not used for the extra space, not even when 2108 and/or 2109 are missing - then they will just show the English text.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

But why do these dialogs still use rigid binding of the sizes of forms/elements on the total area? When translating, sometimes it turns out that the desired word/phrase (and sometimes even allowed abbreviations!) Do not fit into the allotted space! Why can't it be responsive/dynamic?
For example, to translate these two strings into Russian, you need to use THREE. characters in each case! And you have a maximum of two characters left! So far, the only option seems to be to reduce the size of the comboboxes in width, because they only store two-digit numbers - and their current size is too large to display it. It is quite possible to reduce the width of comboboxes by a third at least. This will give us extra space to display the translated strings H: and V: like Гор.: и Вер.:
One-letter designations for mentioned terms in our country are completely unreadable and unintelligible, if anything.

NB!
Same problem with length does exist for another gui element: 15.03.22 Added: New options to load directory sizes: either manually (Alt+Shift+Enter), or automatically: only for local drives, or for network drives too, or only via 'Everything' (32/64)
Despite the fact that combo box drop-down list seems to try to adjust for the length of the strings stored in it - it turns out not all the way. The Russian translation of the last line is truncated
[img]https://i.ibb.co/0cLnCMJ/1.png[/img]
#146217 personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's not adjusted to specific strings, it's just made larger (about factor 1.5).
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-04-26, 08:35 UTC It's not adjusted to specific strings, it's just made larger (about factor 1.5).
But why? There is already imho rather well-known algo - which can tune the width of the mentioned drop-down listbox
according to its content. Why not use it here and in all places/comboboxes? Thus we will have definitely well reading context!
#146217 personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's a lot of work for very little gain.
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

Is the effort of translators around the world of the program's languages to squeeze their "wide" native text into the strict limits of the limitations of "narrow" control and plus the convenience of reading and searching through the eyes of all users of the program around the world data in these controls – is this a small goal/gain?
Okay, what was done meant it had to be done. let it do its good at least that way.
#146217 personal license
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

Hurray!
[img]https://i.ibb.co/8gVjxF2/1.png[/img]
Here we can see that the problem is almost gone! At least + free 2px maybe is needed for a real closing this issue:
[img]https://i.ibb.co/GJXLSDW/2.png[/img]

P.S.
And yes, sorry, I should clarify - that I was describing moments here not related to the topic of this thread, but points that were brought up in the discussion - insufficient size of some forms/dialogs elements to show translated strings in native language.

And as for the topic of conversation in this thread - then yes: this bug is definitely fixed in the last two betas at least
#146217 personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I wonder why you need 3 characters for these? I can make a bit more room if there is a good reason.
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-05-05, 16:31 UTC I wonder why you need 3 characters for these? I can make a bit more room if there is a good reason.
Because in native Language these words have very stable variant of abbreviation.
Simply there is no another well-known form for these words in a bit more shorten form.
I mean that only the first letters of these words "Г/В" mean nothing in our language.

Of course a native speaker will guess after a few tries and even with just one letter what it is all about.
But this is very illogical behavior for situations like this and abbreviations like "Г/В".
#146217 personal license
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2ghisler(Author)

In Danish Horizontal is Vandret and Vertical is Lodret - but we also use the more Latin words Horisontal and Vertikal.

So just writing V: is not enough because it can stand for both Vertikal and Vandret wich are oposites.

Of course if I use L: and V: it should be obvious that it stands for Lodret and Vandret - but if the user is only going for changing the Vertical dimension he might use the V: and overlook that the other option is L: and the one he actually should have changed.

So for me enough space to write: "Lod:" and "Van:" would be nice - right now I have settled for "Va:" and "Lo:" - https://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/iconconfig2.png
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2petermad
2ghisler(Author)
Well, Latin letters look strange in non-Latin scripts or alphabets. Why not reuse already existing strings for icon extra space?
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

IMHO this thread can be closed as/moved to "Fixed bugs" sub-forum.
Because we have now AND proper places for translated strings
AND proper strings used just in fact.
#146217 personal license