Solved [TC 10.50b2] Using zooming resets the choice for fitting images to window

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Solved [TC 10.50b2] Using zooming resets the choice for fitting images to window

Post by *petermad »

After having used the new zoom feature when viewing an image in the internal viewer, the option "Fit image to window" or "Fit only larger images to window" is disabled. I find that to be a bug, since it can also affect plugin image viewers.

These two settings should not be affected by having zoomed. Or it should be configuarable.

Or even better - ad a new Option: "Keep zoom level"
Last edited by petermad on 2022-05-04, 17:46 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Slavic

Re: [TC 10.50b2] Using zooming resets the choice for fitting images to window

Post by *Slavic »

I noticed this too, but counted it as a design decision (or unintentional side effect) rather than a bug. I only wrote a notice about inconsistency of keeping/clearing this flag when the zoom is changed by key/mouse or by input a new value in the dialog.

From my point, this behaviour is not harmful and hardly noticed except a scenario when we look at the series of selected images (e.g. taken photos). Then yes, once manually changed zoom value will be applied to all next images, and the previously selected "Fit to window" setting will be cleared. Some people may count this illogical, some others (me in particular) may not. Having an additional option may resolve such issue.
Desktop: Windows 11 Pro 23H2, TC 11.03(RC). Mobile: Pixel 5a, Android 14, TC 3.42b5
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

After having used the new zoom feature when viewing an image in the internal viewer, the option "Fit image to window" or "Fit only larger images to window" is disabled.
???
I cannot reproduce that, the menu items are not disabled and can still be checked. Maybe you mean "unchecked"? Yes, when you change the zoom factor, the image is no longer fitted to the window, so the menu items needs to be unchecked so the user can choose it again to fit the image to the window.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-04-24, 08:32 UTC Maybe you mean "unchecked"? Yes, when you change the zoom factor, the image is no longer fitted to the window, so the menu items needs to be unchecked so the user can choose it again to fit the image to the window.
Yes, sorry, I meant "unchecked".

I still find it inconvenient - when I look through images of many formats and many sizes, it is tedious to have to re-check the "Fit image to window" or "Fit only larger images to window" options every time I had zoomed the previously viewed image.

Is there any chance that the state of either "Fit image to window" or "Fit only larger images to window" is registered, when the image is opened, and then - if zooming has been used during the viewing - it could be reinstated as it was when the Lister windows is closed. Manual changes of "Fit image to window" or "Fit only larger images to window" should of cause override the initial state.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
Slavic

Post by *Slavic »

Better to name such option not "Keep zoom level", which is somehow ambiguous, but like "Keep fit option after manual zoom".
If not selected, zoom will work as now.
If selected and any of two fit options is selected too, that fit will be used for every new image, no matter how current image was re-zoomed (as a separate image or image in a series). Without fit option, any new image will be shown with initial 100%, like we currently have.
Desktop: Windows 11 Pro 23H2, TC 11.03(RC). Mobile: Pixel 5a, Android 14, TC 3.42b5
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

What do you think about my solution in beta 3?
When the user has "fit image to window enabled" and then zooms, the state of "fit image to window enabled" is changed but not stored to wincmd.ini. So when they open the next image, it will be again shown with "fit image to window enabled".
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-05-04, 10:26 UTC What do you think about my solution in beta 3?
When the user has "fit image to window enabled" and then zooms, the state of "fit image to window enabled" is changed but not stored to wincmd.ini. So when they open the next image, it will be again shown with "fit image to window enabled".
I can only make that work in 32bit TC 10.50b3 (thats's why I hadn't noticed it) - but there it seems like a good solution.
License #524 (1994)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

You are right, thanks! I will fix it in beta 4.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

history.txt wrote:04.05.22 Fixed: (Wasn't working in 64-bit) Lister: When closing, remember "Fit to window" image option chosen before zooming, so the next time Lister gets opened the file is again fitted to the window (64)
Confirmed fixed in TC 10.50b4 :-)
License #524 (1994)
Slavic

Re: Solved [TC 10.50b2] Using zooming resets the choice for fitting images to window

Post by *Slavic »

As I checked, it works in the most intuitive way: if we select some images with an option "Fit to window" and when looking at this series in Lister we change the zoom, next images in this series use the changed zoom (and Fit option is cleared in menu). But when we exit Lister and open it again on any image, the Fit option restores. Looking at text and other non-image files between images keeps this flag (it is shown as inactive).

Thanks for this solution!