[TC 10.50b3] using Everything for DirSize, if TC starts before everything, the Dir sizes are not shown until restart

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

TealC

[TC 10.50b3] using Everything for DirSize, if TC starts before everything, the Dir sizes are not shown until restart

Post by *TealC »

I use (and love!) the new feature to calculate directory sizes using Everything. However, when starting my computer, due to TC being so fast :wink: it often happens that TC is running, before Everything is (even though it is starting as a Windows Service). When this happens, TC will not automatically calculate directory sizes until it is closed and restarted.

I understand that there is not really a way to work around this, but may be it could be a viable option, if Everything is not accessible while TC is starting, to try and re connect to the index every x minutes, or alternatively on every directory change or similar.

If that does not make sense I prefer the current behavior over an error message though, restarting TC is quick enough that this is almost a non-issue.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [TC 10.50b3] using Everything for DirSize, if TC starts before everything, the Dir sizes are not shown until restart

Post by *Horst.Epp »

If you have the Everything service installed
you should also have its option enabled to Start Everything on system startup
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
TealC

Re: [TC 10.50b3] using Everything for DirSize, if TC starts before everything, the Dir sizes are not shown until restart

Post by *TealC »

Horst.Epp wrote: 2022-05-02, 09:35 UTC should also have its option enabled to Start Everything on system startup
It is enabled and does start automatically. What I'm saying is, often TC will be open (opened manually, by me, after logging in) before the service and application of Everything starting automatically.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

This entry in the file "wincmd.ini" in the section "[Configuration]" might help:

Code: Select all

Everything=Path\to\Everything64.exe -startup
E.g.

Code: Select all

Everything=C:\Tools\Everything\Everything64.exe -startup
Restarting TC is not necessary.

A button with command: cm_rereadsource 1 might also help.

See also: Search queries: TC <=> 'Everything' - point 13.1.a

Windows 10 Pro (x64) Version 21H2 (OS build 19044.1682)
TC 10.50b3 x64/x86 | 'Everything' 1.5.0.1311a (x64)
TealC

Post by *TealC »

That config entry helps indeed, works perfectly and solves my problem :)

Thanks!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC will turn off the size retrieval from 'Everything' if it's not running or not caching the folder sizes.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
TealC

Post by *TealC »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-05-02, 12:49 UTC TC will turn off the size retrieval from 'Everything' if it's not running or not caching the folder sizes.
Thanks for your reply - yes, I am / was aware of that.
I probably haven't worded my question very well then. The issue I was having, was only ever a timing problem. Everything was always set to start automatically with Windows, but even so TC was running before Everything, which did create the scenario of "Everything is not running", only it was not running yet. I tought a good solution would be for TC to connect to Everything not just at the start, but while running, because eventually Everything would be running, triggered by Windows autostart - hence my suggestion in my first post.

However, the suggestion by tuska has eliminated the problem, because with the config parameter TC makes sure that Everything is running, even if Windows autostart was too slow. So with that config line added, I do no longer think that there needs to be any change in TC behavior - I just didn't know about that config parameter.

Apologies for the confusion I might have caused. This whole thread can be disregarded, as all my issues have been solved.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

No problem at all, it's a valid report. I just don't know how to do this any better - I can't constantly try to query 'Everything' here.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

In beta 5, I will keep the 'everything' functions enabled when 'everything' is running or successfully restarted but reports that it's busy. This way they will start working again once 'everything' is ready.