Inconsistent UI: "Start!" button's font bold in Multi rename tool

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DelphiDev

Inconsistent UI: "Start!" button's font bold in Multi rename tool

Post by *DelphiDev »

Hey there,

Why is the font of the "Start!" button bold and all the other buttons in TC are not?
Wilhelm M.
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Inconsistent UI: "Start!" button's font bold in Multi rename tool

Post by *Wilhelm M. »

Just to highlight it? In other TC dialogs, the OK buttons are also highlighted by a narrow blue line around it. I think C. Ghisler simply wanted the start button to look different from an OK button, but still emphasise it. Is this inconsistent?
Grüße/Regards,
Wilhelm
DelphiDev

Post by *DelphiDev »

What's the point of highlighting "Start!" if all the other buttons are not highlighted that way?

To me this feels inconsistent. (there might of course be other buttons with bold font that I just haven't seen yet)
Wilhelm M.
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Wilhelm M. »

I think, the START button is called this way for a reason. It is the start of a batch operation (normally), whereas the OK buttons (normally) start an operation on a single file. Maybe thats the reason, but since I am not C. Ghisler I cannot know exactly.
BTW, without your message, I would have probably never noticed the difference...
Grüße/Regards,
Wilhelm
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

DelphiDev wrote: 2022-05-09, 09:13 UTC Why is the font of the "Start!" button bold and all the other buttons in TC are not?
For the same reason the exclamation mark is there: emphasis. Otherwise people may have trouble finding the button to start renaming.
DelphiDev

Post by *DelphiDev »

white wrote: 2022-05-10, 07:34 UTC
DelphiDev wrote: 2022-05-09, 09:13 UTC Why is the font of the "Start!" button bold and all the other buttons in TC are not?
For the same reason the exclamation mark is there: emphasis. Otherwise people may have trouble finding the button to start renaming.
Good point, but why isn't "Start search" in "Find files" bold and with an exclamation mark? People may have trouble finding the button to start searching.. ;-)

I don't mind it being bold, I just found this inconsistency and was wondering if there was a specific reasoning behind it.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

DelphiDev wrote: 2022-05-10, 09:03 UTC Good point, but why isn't "Start search" in "Find files" bold and with an exclamation mark? People may have trouble finding the button to start searching.. ;-)
The Start search button is not displayed below the search results. If it was, it would probably be bold and have an exclamation mark.
jinsight

Post by *jinsight »

I suppose the five options in Multi-rename dialog box that are set horizontally at the bottom of the dialog box could instead be set vertically on the right side of the dialog box.

Alternatively, the three options in Find Files dialog box that are set vertically on the right side of the dialog box could instead be set horizontally on the bottom of the dialog box. I think I would prefer this from a "consistency" standpoint. At a guess, I think most dialog boxes have the activation controls at the bottom.

At the end of the day, for me, this is a small point.
License #1945
Windows 10 Pro x64
Version 22H2 (OS Build 19045.3930)
TC 11.00 x64 and x86, Everything 1.5.0.1366a x64, QAP 11.6.3.1 x64