[TC 10.50 b5] Undeletable or Deletable search results?

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

[TC 10.50 b5] Undeletable or Deletable search results?

Post by *AntonyD »

Maybe I'm confusing something - and this is normal behavior. But if I call the Search dialog with cm_SearchFor command, then the results of the previous search remain in the search dialog and are shown to me. I don't have a clear attitude to this yet. More often than not, these results still interfere with me, rather than help - so I will ask a question in parallel - can I remove them if the search dialog is closed?
BUT the essence of the topic is that calling this dialog with the cm_SearchStandalone command is guaranteed to show the dialog WITHOUT the results of the previous search. And here I have a feeling of infidelity. IF these results were not always and everywhere saved after closing the dialog, it would be understandable. If they were always and everywhere preserved, it would be understandable and plus, see my question above. BUT! when in one case they are saved, and in the other they are not. This is not clear to me at all and it seems erroneous such behavior.
#146217 personal license
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [TC 10.50 b5] Undeletable or Deletable search results?

Post by *Horst.Epp »

I like the behaviour to get the old search results.
You can always hit the "New search" button to clear it.
So I would like to get the same bevaviour for cm_SearchStandalone.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The results are stored in memory. When you close cm_SearchStandalone, that instance of Total Commander is closed and everything in memory is lost. I could write the results to disk, but if the list is long, this would slow down both the closing and the next opening of the standalone search.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-05-12, 15:10 UTC The results are stored in memory. When you close cm_SearchStandalone, that instance of Total Commander is closed and everything in memory is lost. I could write the results to disk, but if the list is long, this would slow down both the closing and the next opening of the standalone search.
But right on the Search form we could have an additional optional checkbox - which will ask the user: "Should I save all searched results on a disk for the further processing - YES or NO". Thus user will use his rights to make a choice)))
And Right now we already have the checkbox for F2 option. So it will be only 2 checkboxes;)
#146217 personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

But right on the Search form we could have an additional optional checkbox - which will ask the user: "Should I save all searched results on a disk for the further processing - YES or NO". Thus user will use his rights to make a choice)))
Well, normally you will only notice that you need the old results when you do the next search, which may be much later...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-05-13, 09:48 UTC Well, normally you will only notice that you need the old results when you do the next search, which may be much later...
I just wanted to say that all the burden of temporary expectations of opening / closing dialogs will fall on my shoulders in order to save the previous results on disk in a quality manner. I'll just turn this checkbox on permanently))
And I will always use it then)))

Well, for those who are used to the always new and empty search dialog when calling the cm_SearchStandalone command, they will not use this checkbox.

And everyone will benefit in the end.
#146217 personal license
jinsight

Post by *jinsight »

Support ++ some method to see the old search results.
License #1945
Windows 10 Pro x64
Version 22H2 (OS Build 19045.3930)
TC 11.00 x64 and x86, Everything 1.5.0.1366a x64, QAP 11.6.3.1 x64