All apk install functions will soon be removed

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: All apk install functions will soon be removed

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's not actually bringing you to www.ghisler.com when you click on it, it's just a description. Also there are no apk links any more on www.ghisler.com. The about box also has a www.ghisler.com, would that be a problem too?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
nbsp

Post by *nbsp »

Yes, I know it is just a description. But maybe this seems as a download location for them. Again, I am not sure about this. Perhaps www.ghisler.com should be replaced with "from Google Play".

The link in the About box should be fine, I think.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good idea, I will change it to just "Google Play", this way it does not need translation.
dla_001

Post by *dla_001 »

The problem is that Goggle automatic checks cannot distinguish between:
  • I am a nefarious application that will trick users to download a malicious APK from the attacker's repository from
  • I am a legit application that allows knowledgeable users to install useful APK
So they flag the usage of the external APK download ("unknown source"). If the install is from Play Store, no problem...
Poto

Post by *Poto »

I support your decision to take it off Google Play, Google allows other file manager apps to install apk, but not TC. If Google can't communicate with you in detail, it means we don't need to be on Google Play anymore, just provide TC for Android on the Official website.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't understand why they don't provide more information about what exactly is violating their policy. Most developers don't do this on purpose (except for a few nefarious ones), so it should be in their interest that developers could easily fix involuntary violations.
maggu2810

Post by *maggu2810 »

Would it be possible that you create a F-Droid repository?
Then we could keep up to date with an unlimited version without needing to check the board.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, F-Droid only accepts open source, and I can't guarantee that I'm allowed to open source all the code I use.
Pay87

Post by *Pay87 »

Hi ghisler, I am following Total Commander since the early days of Windows Commander :) I am also happy to use it as daily driver for my Android devices. Its a shame that Google becomes more and more a mental fragile oriented company... But anyway. It would be great if the manual downloadable version includes a auto updater. This way the playstore version won't be necessary at all and maybe the plugin descriptions inside the playstore could give a hint that this app must be downloaded externally ... ;)
woheller69

Post by *woheller69 »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-05-19, 10:25 UTC Sorry, F-Droid only accepts open source, and I can't guarantee that I'm allowed to open source all the code I use.
There is a difference between having the app in the official F-Droid repo or creating an own repo which can be added in the
F-Droid app.

https://f-droid.org/en/docs/Setup_an_F-Droid_App_Repo/

You do not need to make it open source in this case.
But F-Droid can be used to install and update the app.
You can sign the apk with a different key, so the Playstore version cannot be upgraded from there.
schnag

Post by *schnag »

Laut diesem Artikel scheint es darum zu gehen, dass die App eine weitere Permission anfragen muss.

https://www.androidpolice.com/google-firms-up-play-store-rules-for-which-apps-can-install-other-apps/

"At the heart of this policy change is an Android OS permission called REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES that has been around since Android 6.0 Marshmallow. If this permission is included in an app’s manifest, meaning the app is declaring it needs this ability, it can trigger an install request that prompts the user to permit an APK installation to continue.

Finally, apps must have Play Store descriptions containing a disclosure about the ability to install apps, and an explanation of the core features that use it."

Vielleicht hilft es ja weiter.
maggu2810

Post by *maggu2810 »

Thank you for adding the explanation. It would certainly have been easier if I had written this myself right away.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I had received that Play Store policy update too. However, as the article explains, "The new policy is set to go into effect August 11, 2022.".

I had immediately checked the "App content" section of the play store, "Sensitive permissions and APIs", but there is no permission declaration for REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES yet. It still only contains the "All files access permission", which Total Commander already uses for file management.

Therefore I don't know how I could declare the usage of the REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES permission to them. Maybe I can add the APK installation back once they allow to declare the usage.
commodore

Post by *commodore »

Google is working towards making mainstream androids increasingly irrelevant in comparison to iOS/iPadOS. :/ Anyhow, out of curiosity I tried on my OnePlus 9 Pro, and the installation of apk's still works normally in its native file manager as well as in TC.
wahifa3292

Post by *wahifa3292 »

Hi.
thanks for: 1 your work, 2 great app, 3 play store warning, 4 ability to download full app, 5 for not acting like x-plore
all the best to you ;)