All apk install functions will soon be removed

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

novw

Re: All apk install functions will soon be removed

Post by *novw »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-05-27, 10:19 UTC
B: It has a version number 1000 higher than the Play Store version. In case of a serious security issue, I can just increase the version number of the Play Store version by 1000 and you will get a forced update (of course without the apk install function).
Bad Google... Funny how one app is left alone (Samsung internet) while another is hunted (TC). We will never understand I am afraid.
But:
I have several apps that are not in playstore and many of them check version every so often on developers site. If there is an update the app will tell me as soon as I start it. TC might check every month, or after every 25 uses. Google won't care you are "listening" to an external version check since the special version is not in playstore. You could create a page on the site with only the version number, and have TC compare that number to its own version. If something is different: popup a "go to website for newest version"?

My guess is that at least 3/4 of your users will forget to check for updates...
Niels
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I'm indeed planning to add an auto-update function, but it's a lot of work. I still had some hope to get someone at Google to tell me what exactly is wrong, but after a week with no feedback I'm starting to lose hope - we will probably have to live with the current situation.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Pay87

Post by *Pay87 »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-05-27, 14:00 UTC I'm indeed planning to add an auto-update function, but it's a lot of work. I still had some hope to get someone at Google to tell me what exactly is wrong, but after a week with no feedback I'm starting to lose hope - we will probably have to live with the current situation.
At least it does not break your spirit! Lets move on. Google once was a great place to connect skilled people to build something most useful for all. A great place for creative devs around the globe ...
georgeb

Post by *georgeb »

novw wrote: 2022-05-27, 10:12 UTCLet's assume I download an APK from the internet. When I select that APK in TC I am not allowed to install the file? But when I select that APK in my browser ("open file") I _am_ allowed

I guess when they say browser they think "Chrome". That way they would like to gain total control over the mobile devices and - given their increasing inalienability - increasingly also the people using them.
novw wrote: 2022-05-27, 10:12 UTCB: when I install the TC from this site, I will not receive update notifications anymore. That's a bad thing that needs fixing. Quickly.
I really don't see the problem. As long as Christian is so kind and brave enough to provide us "power-users" committed to keep control over and defend our own personal realm and capabilities therein with an uncrippled version of TC I am willing to check his download-page even twice a day if necessary! But in reality once a week will do. An immediate reminder is totally unnecessary.
Indro23

Post by *Indro23 »

First, thanks for providing an apk here that can install apks again. This is awesome!

My question is, Is there any particular reason why the apk provided here, with a size of 4 MB, is approx. 2 MB larger than the old Google-Version which was also still able to install apks?

And: Can I simply install the apk offered here over the installed Google-Version? Which version should I choose ("direct download (combined installer)" or an individual apk according to processor type? What would be the difference? )

Kind regards
Indro23
blacky

Post by *blacky »

why not make 2 Versions, one TC-APK-Orginale and the 2nd, for Google, FG-TC with the upgrate funktion to Full -> TC-APK-Orginale and maby use a own space to add in SkyDroid, This iss a Store whoe add the F-Droid Store and other Stores for download the apk, so it is not ! Not ! connectin with google, but, it is a possible for add at SkyDroid an own apk-Source, you should looking on the SkyDroid :

https://github.com/redsolver/skydroid/
SkyDroid, normal Surface
Image: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/redsolver/skydroid/master/screenshots/screen1.jpg
ProgrammInfo
Image: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/redsolver/skydroid/master/screenshots/screen2.jpg
added Collections
Image: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/redsolver/skydroid/master/screenshots/screen3.jpg

there with is it possibile to create a Collection on websapce and, add it to skyDroid,,
and have maybe SkyDroid as a Partner for trade the Totalcommander, include update.. over SkyDroid
because with SkyDroid it is also Possible for add other Collections from other Stores..
so an "art" all in one.., Chris, you could try to contact them :) And supporting SkyDroid
and they/he Support then Total Commander in android, say greetings from me.

best
Meine Blackysgate.de/net
Ma' Personal licence : already one. Hab auch eine
Mein Computer : Einer/once ??? bahh, Rz/Data Centre !
Kitchen, Liv.room, TV, Schlafz.. Sch...
BS/OS: Win3.1/7, Fedora a. other, Reactos
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2Indro23
It's larger only when you get the "Universal" version, which includes the native code for all supported processors. The processor-specific version (ARM64 for most modern phones) is not larger. You can have a look at the apk by renaming the extension to .zip and checking what's inside. The processor-specific code is in the "lib" subfolder.
why not make 2 Versions, one TC-APK-Orginale and the 2nd, for Google
I'm already doing this. However, they have the same app name, otherwise they couldn't share the user settings.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
kaciokos

Post by *kaciokos »

Similar thing happened with the developer of FairEmail, after a long fight he was able to prove his point. Details: https:// faircode .eu/ faq.html
Digika

Post by *Digika »

I remember download page used to have direct links to plugins. Pinned forum thread has only TC itself. Where can we get plugins for android version directly?
MrLF

Post by *MrLF »

Digika wrote: 2022-06-02, 13:23 UTC I remember download page used to have direct links to plugins. Pinned forum thread has only TC itself. Where can we get plugins for android version directly?
This page: https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=76644 find Plugins: download page or
direkt link: https://www.totalcommander.ch/android/plugins.htm
Barkuti

Post by *Barkuti »

Hello! :D

Just dropped by to say hello, and of course because I noticed the malfunctioning of my Play Store version Total Commander.
I don't think there's a need to fret over the reasons for Googl€ to ban Total Commander. Googl€ is a large “corporation” (another corpse, in fact): corrupt, greedy and evil. Their ways with Android development are extremely shitty already; newer versions of Android are a @#$%, in my honest opinion. They have been gravitating more and more to an “Apple like” mindset based on a tight control of end user devices and user experience which sucks big time. :x
If I were you, ghisler, I'd withdraw Total Commander from the Play Store providing related information to TC users, and if possible links to this forum. As it is, the Play Store version is crippled and of course cannot be considered “Total Commander”. Let Googl€ rot with its abusive policies. Informed or lightful people already knows what :evil: Googl€ is. This is sound advice.
Oh! F-Droid is great, by the way.

All the best,
Salvador
georgeb

Post by *georgeb »

Barkuti wrote: 2022-06-05, 02:09 UTC...Play Store version is crippled and of course cannot be considered “Total Commander”.
"Total PS-Sergeant" perhaps? :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

Total CEOmmander or Total Chief
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Subtotal Commander :?: :wink:
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
splash3313

Post by *splash3313 »

I understand why you removed the APK installation option however I use your app on a fire stick and without this feature it makes the app useless to me now when goggle's own file manager Files can install apks.

There are work rounds to this problem from any install google chrome and if you have an apk file send it to that and the program installs ok.

There is also other options you can use which google can not prevent the installation via the Samsung own market app and the Amazon app store. Google can't block these market apps as it would be had up by the competition commission in each country.

Without the install feature on Total Commander it makes it not a complete file manager. Now an example of why this feature is needed .

anMoney Budget & Finance was taken off the play store even though it still works due to the fact that the developer has died. However people who needed to reinstall the app were left stranded. Now someone has put up the APK to this app and it works again.

Why has google still got the option to install from unknown sources on Android. Reason Even google need to test apps work before publishing them on google play store.