It does not allow copying, creating, deleting, or browsing folders with a total length greater than 1023 characters.

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

streik

It does not allow copying, creating, deleting, or browsing folders with a total length greater than 1023 characters.

Post by *streik »

It does not allow copying, creating or deleting folders, whose total length is greater than 1023 characters. Nor do you navigate from there. And with windows explorer if I can

It is a mistake important enough, to rectify it as soon as possible.

In this link from Microsoft it indicates that the maximum total path length of 32767 characters
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/maximum-file-path-limitation?tabs=cmd

Total Commander Does not allow copying folders, the total length of which is greater than 1023 characters.
And with the windows file explorer you can perfectly.
This option is very very important.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: It does not allow copying, creating, deleting, or browsing folders with a total length greater than 1023 characters.

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, I prefer a hard limit of 1023 characters with pre-allocated strings than unlimited length with dynamically allocated strings, for security reasons. I will not change that.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
streik

Re: It does not allow copying, creating, deleting, or browsing folders with a total length greater than 1023 characters.

Post by *streik »

Preassign a higher string.
Other browsers allow browsing, creating, deleting, copying, etc. (Not saying names).
Also compressors (checked).
I think that a suitable limit could be a minimum of 2048, and if possible 5120.
Today in scientific subjects, for example astronomy, biogenetic science, atmospheric simulations, aircraft recalculation, and in many current multi-subjects, etc, more than 1023 characters are needed.
I, in my humble opinion, and if you allow me, I would put 5120 characters.
Put your grain of sand so that humanity can prosper.
Don't limit it too much. :)
streik

Post by *streik »

What I mean is, if you'd be so kind, raise the 1023 character limit with pre-assigned strings to a minimum of 2048 characters, or best of all, what would really be ideal, would be 5120 characters.

In other words, it is:
Well, so far this limit has been going well.
But now, everyone is hooked on the computer.
And you have to recognize that these limits now have to be enlarged.
We cannot remain stagnant, in old limits.

We have to move forward, be an open book, and let the world expand, and Total Commander, I think, should allow it to do so.

Make Total Commander the best of the best by doing this.

Thanks advanced.
(If they don't really need it, he won't tell you. But this change is necessary.
Do not put limits on the Field, nor on computing. Let science advance, without limits).
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

If you have the urgent need try FastCopy or TeraCopy.
Both can be integrated into TC and overcome the long path limit.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

streik wrote: 2022-05-27, 10:25 UTCI, in my humble opinion, and if you allow me, I would put 5120 characters.
Is 5120 any kind of a magic number?
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Many programs can't handle path names longer than 259 characters, because that's the limit imposed by most Windows functions unless you use a special prefix which turns off all path parsing by the system. The underlying file system can handle much longer names. I allow names up to 1023 characters to handle most such cases, but I don't have any plans for now to handle even longer names. In the 32-bit version, I would quickly run into stack overflows if I did.
streik

Post by *streik »

Unlink the 32-bit version, with the 64-bit version, in this aspect.

And perhaps, also in many other aspects that may be necessary.

One cannot remain anchored in antiquity.

As I said, if it's true that Total Commander has gone very well so far. And he will continue to do well, but at the same time understanding this, if you will allow me.

You have to look at the horizon.

And the Horizon is already here.

Clouds, Robotics, artificial intelligence, Automation, Drones, Amazon, Rockets to Mars, Starlink, Laser Cannons, etc, etc.

We can't be forever bound to the 32-bit version.

Now everything is in 64 bits.

The 32-bit one is very good that it exists. Many people in the world use it. And this is very good.

But it cannot be a burden for evolution, because surely there are many things that you can no longer implement because of also being anchored in the 32-bit version.

Today we are talking about Terabytes. Of Petabytes, etc.

If someone wants to copy folders with files, from one place to another (with total commander) and without compression, he has to be able to do it.

There are limitations. Yes.

But they are old limitations, that today with 20 Tb disks, and 26 Terabytes as WD is already talking, it is necessary to overcome, and make decisions for the future.

Interesting facts:
* There are 32-bit versions of other file explorers, which perfectly read and explore more than 1023 characters.
And this exists.
It already exists.
It will be for something that exists.

They have found a way to achieve it.

I think that total commander can also find a way.

It is a matter of making a test bench, prior to launching the modification.

But what is of course true is that nowadays it is essential to have more than 1023 characters.

I said at least double, that is 2048 characters.

And at the same time that the modifications are made, leave it ready, to be able to expand more easily, more than 2048.

Now the ideal is 5120.
For what reason?

Very simple.

Because I know that they will not reach this figure. Because it is the current quintuple.

But at 1023 if you get. And very fast.

I have put multiples of 1024.

From experience, from backups of various types, I can tell you, with almost total certainty, that if it is going to be the same job, making the change to 2048 than to 5120, it is better to extend this limit to 5120.

Do you remember dbase?

When they expanded the limits, of variables, databases, etc.

Well the same.

Limits are important, especially when they are extended.

You feel more relaxed. More comfortable.

And it is also necessary.

The usual compressors already allow it.

It is absurd that the most widely used tool by computer experts around the world does not allow this.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

2ghisler(Author)
You can use current setting as default and make the length configurable, f.e.
* allow up to 2048 characters in 32-bit TC
* allow up to 16384 characters in 64-bit TC

You have already done similar change for line length in Lister:
TC Help wrote: UnwrapWidth=1024 Maximum text width when not using word wrap (max 16384 characters).
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

You can run the following Everything search to find out
if you have already reached the limit of 1024.
ev:pathlen:>1024
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
streik

Post by *streik »

I think that if you make this change, Total Commander can become eternal.
You can even get to use SAFE in supercomputing, AI, Industrialization, Robotics, Satellites, etc.

Simply because we, the programmers, need to be sure that the tools we use respond, with total security.

In other words, we can always trust Total Commander, because Total Commander is always there for whatever is needed, and to help the technological advance of humanity.

I know it sounds like a bit of science fiction, but really, WE ARE ALREADY inside science fiction. It has arrived. We already have the future here.

Greetings.
Please fix it as soon as possible. And if it can be the best automatic thing. Without having to configure any line in config.
streik

Post by *streik »

By the way... GOOD JOB. Tell you that the Total Commander program is a JOB VERY WELL DONE.
And very useful.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, I cannot do that. The size is hard coded so all names on the stack use widechar[1024] fixed variables. You can't make this configurable. It could only be made larger on an app level as a whole.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Christian,
It could only be made larger on an app level as a whole.
I'd assume that's exactly what the OP suggests.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, I don't have any plans to change that. An individual directory within a path is limited to 255 characters. Most programs cannot handle names longer than 259 characters, so 1023 would be 3 levels deeper at the maximum possible directory length than the recommended maximum. This is more than enough than the recommended maximum of 259 characters. If you have a need to regularly handle such long paths, then Total Commander is not the right tool for you.