the folder date is not saved when copied with administrative rights to a directory where TC don't have write privileges

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

nice

the folder date is not saved when copied with administrative rights to a directory where TC don't have write privileges

Post by *nice »

1. the folder date is not saved when copied with administrative rights to a directory where TC don't have write privileges - like "C:\Program Files"

2. the folders with descript.ion are not deleted when move with administrative rights from a directory where TC don't have write privileges

TC itself needed to be run without administrative rights. When it asked to delete, choose "with administrative rights".
Last edited by nice on 2022-06-04, 18:53 UTC, edited 4 times in total.
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Re: the folder date is not saved when copied with administrative rights

Post by *Gral »

1. I can not confirm
2. I can not confirm
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

1. Not confirmed - Notice that Windows updates the folder date if you copy other files to the folder AFTER the copy/move of the folder.

2. Not confirmed - maybe you have disabled "Configuration" -> "Options..." -> "Operation" -> "File comments" -> "Copy comments with files"

Testet with TC 10.50b8 x64 and x32 under Windows 7 and 10.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
nice

Post by *nice »

TC itself needed to be run without administrative rights. When it asked to delete, choose "with administrative rights".

3. When move folder with subfolders with descript.ion files only and select "with administrative rights" (not "ALL with administrative rights", and then OK to each message "can't delete folder", then at the end will be window "The following directories could not be accessed", the list of folders is empty.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

And - I would have to copy/move to a directory where TC don't have write privileges - like "C:\Program Files" - then I can confirm 1. and 2.

TC can not change file attributes incl. date in folders like "C:\Program Files" if not running elevated - this is a known limitation - see: https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=290838#p290838 .

and then OK to each message "can't delete folder", then at the end will be window "The following directories could not be accessed", the list of folders is empty.
I don't get such a message: "The following directories could not be accessed".
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
nice

Post by *nice »

to do this, it needs to have several folders inside, and when move/delete, click "as administrator" for each, not "ALL as administrator"

https://i.imgur.com/gZP0hKx.png

This time the window was not completely empty.

another bug: Move, when asked for admin rights, cancel, and cursor moves to next file (existing folder is not deleted)
Last edited by nice on 2022-06-05, 07:28 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: the folder date is not saved when copied with administrative rights to a directory where TC don't have write privile

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

1. Sorry, this isn't currently supported. I will consider it.

2. I don't understand, I need more details. Do you move a folder with description to a write protected folder, or away from one? I tried in both directions and didn't get any problems.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: the folder date is not saved when copied with administrative rights to a directory where TC don't have write privile

Any more details on 2, please?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

history.txt wrote:05.06.22 Fixed: When copying folders to protected locations like "Program Files", the folder timestamp couldn't be copied (32/64)
08.06.22 Fixed: When copying folders to protected locations like "Program Files", the option "As Administrator" now confirms the entire folder with all items in it, even if some need to be copied later in a second pass (32/64)
Confirmed fixed in TC 10.50rc1 :-)
License #524 (1994)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Great, thanks! Any ideas about report 2? I can't reproduce that.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Great, thanks! Any ideas about report 2? I can't reproduce that.
I couldn't either.
License #524 (1994)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

OK, I will move this to fixed bugs. Please create a new report for issue 2 if you can still reproduce it, and provide step by step instructions.
nice

Post by *nice »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-06-05, 07:24 UTC Do you move a folder with description to a write protected folder, or away from one?
away from one.

1. copy TOTALCMD folder from c:\program files to c:\program files\TOTALCMD.1
2. error - dir is not created. with admin rights? yes to all
3. move TOTALCMD.1 from c:\program files to d:\111
there are 5 "descript.ion" files
4. ...couldn't be deleted. with admin rights? yes to all
5. there are 5 files, 8 folders left undeleted (with descript.ion)
6. move again TOTALCMD.1 from c:\program files to d:\111
7. select "with admin rights" (not "ALL with admin rights")
8. you get the "empty window" like https://i.imgur.com/gZP0hKx.png

tested on b7
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I tried this and get different results.

If I disable Copy comment with files - I end up with with 8 undeleted directories (out of 226 directories), and NO undeleted files.
If I enable Copy comment with files - I end up with 13 undeleted directories and 6 undeleted descript.ion files (out of 6 descript.ion files).

This is if I move between two drives.

If I instead Move from "C:\Program Files\totalcmd.1" to C:\111\totalcmd.1 all directories and files are moved (renamed). The first time I got a surprising question about overwriting the descript.ion files - so apparantly descript.ion in the target is written to during the move process, and then when the descript.ion is up for moving it asks to overwrite - but I did not get that at later attempts.

So there IS something peculiar going on.
License #524 (1994)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2nice
Do you use the option to copy comments with files or not?
(it's in Configuration - Options - Operation)