[TC (32)(64) 10.50RC1] MRT Auto-width C:a Ignores 'Start at/Step by' Counter specs.

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Phred

[TC (32)(64) 10.50RC1] MRT Auto-width C:a Ignores 'Start at/Step by' Counter specs.

Post by *Phred »

When specifying that the MRT should determine the width of the number counter parameter C using the [C:a] form, the 'Start at' (and indeed the 'Step by') fields are ignored.
I can see no reason for the Start/Step specifications not obtaining when the number code is invoked including auto-width adjustment.
I have made up an example image:
https://ibb.co/LkGxyGC
Regards, PhredE
Licence holder since 1999
Awaiting a $D donors-token for the title-bar so we can display that we have donated further.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [TC (32)(64) 10.50RC1] MRT Auto-width C:a Ignores 'Start at/Step by' Counter specs.

Post by *white »

Phred wrote: 2022-06-09, 18:20 UTC I can see no reason for the Start/Step specifications not obtaining when the number code is invoked including auto-width adjustment.
Other than that it is designed this way:
Help wrote:[C] Paste counter, as defined in Define counter field
[C10+5:3] Paste counter, define counter settings directly. In this example, start at 10, step by 5, use 3 digits width.
Partial definitions like [C10] or [C+5] or [C:3] are also accepted.
Hint: The fields in Define counter will be ignored if you specify options directly in the [C] field.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [TC (32)(64) 10.50RC1] MRT Auto-width C:a Ignores 'Start at/Step by' Counter specs.

Post by *Dalai »

This is not a bug but expected and explained behavior:
TC help, Dialog box - Multi-rename tool wrote:Hint: The fields in Define counter will be ignored if you specify options directly in the [C] field.
Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is intentional so you can have multiple counters within the same rename operation, with varying parameters.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Phred

Post by *Phred »

Okay, thanks, but wouldn't GUI design suggest that if a control is inoperative/ignored then it would be disabled or, so nicely expressed, 'greyed out'?
I'm fairly sure that the MRT knows when varied C parameters are in use - things change in real-time.
I'd think that a visual greying would save balking users as it did me, or, perhaps, a tooltip could explain how a control works, and, innovatively, when it won't work. Everything does this, although I see it's changing to putting the 'tooltip' in the status bar below.

Yes, there's detail in Help, but that's another arcane lesson to have to learn, and once you know, you know, of course, but a GUI is meant to assist immediate usage, I do believe.
Regards, PhredE
Awaiting a $D donors-token for the title-bar so we can display that we have donated further.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

Phred wrote: 2022-06-12, 17:15 UTC Okay, thanks, but wouldn't GUI design suggest that if a control is inoperative/ignored then it would be disabled or, so nicely expressed, 'greyed out'?
The controls continue to function and be valid for additional [C] fields without options specified directly in the [C] field.
Phred

Post by *Phred »

Oh dear; I see. That's what Author Ghisler was saying. :/

I see that even
[N] [C:a] [Cabc+2:3] [C132+1:4]
..works. All contained in that word in Help 'letter'.
Another lesson learnt.

Of course, MRT could know where the cursor is lying in the field, but it's getting a bit complicated. :/

Tags: alphanumeric multiple counters
Regards, PhredE