Stay in directory when changing its name or the name of an ancestor directory

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

funkymonk

Stay in directory when changing its name or the name of an ancestor directory

Post by *funkymonk »

Assume a simple directory structure like

dir
dir\subdir

And assume: left shows the content of dir, right shows the content of subdir.

---

When changing the name of subdir in the left panel (e.g., to subdir1) the right panel will not stay in its directory (now: subdir1), but it will go up along the path to the level where the name was changed (here: it will show the content of dir).

This is a bit annoying, especially when working with deep directory structures: Once you are deep down in the directory tree (in one file panel) and change the name of an ancestor directory (in the other file panel) you need to navigate back to the original directory manually.

---

Suggestion:
An option would be great to prevent this "automatic directory switch". In fact, the original directory does still exist, it is just a directory name along the path that has changed...
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Stay in directory when changing its name or the name of an ancestor directory

Post by *JOUBE »

Yes. I support your suggestion.

I think it's a relic from very old times (Norton Commander) and maybe the Windows Commander (today: Total Commander) is even specially designed to be compatible with this feature. I just recently had the opportunity to re-use the original Norton Commander and it behaves the same.

In my opinion, this is no longer up-to-date and should be changed.

I always have to smile in this case because you get the impression that the TCs one window doesn't know details of the other window and - oh - it prefers to jump away ;-)

JOUBE
jinsight

Re: Stay in directory when changing its name or the name of an ancestor directory

Post by *jinsight »

Support++
License #1945
Windows 10 Pro x64
Version 22H2 (OS Build 19045.3930)
TC 11.00 x64 and x86, Everything 1.5.0.1366a x64, QAP 11.6.3.1 x64
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Support+
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *hi5 »

+1
F4MiniMenu (Forum) - Open selected file(s) from TC in defined editor(s) - A (minimalistic) clone of F4Menu
Source at GitHub (AutoHotkey). TCSyncComments (copy file comments)
funkymonk

Post by *funkymonk »

@ghisler Any news here?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It would be a new feature, so unfortunately I can't add it to 10.51 because it's already a release candidate. Maybe in a later version.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
funkymonk

Post by *funkymonk »

Ok, I see. Thank you for considering.