Total Commander 10.50 RC1 - TOTALCMD64.EXE has date setting problem for files (wrong format)

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

jnauth

Total Commander 10.50 RC1 - TOTALCMD64.EXE has date setting problem for files (wrong format)

Post by *jnauth »

TOTALCMD64.EXE has a problem with the menu option Change Date/Time via Change Attributes.

If a file is selected and I choose that option via menu to change date and time, Total Commander puts in the date field the wrong format. Instead of putting for example 14.06.2022 (TT.MM.JJJJ), the date is shown as "2022.06.14" (JJJJ.MM.TT).

If I press confirm an error pops up with "Wrong entry" and I have to change the date format to TT.MM.JJJJ manually.

This only happens with the 64 bit version of Total Commander EXE, the 32 Bit version doesn´t show this error.

In Total Commander v10.00 this was working all fine.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Total Commander 10.50 RC1 - TOTALCMD64.EXE has date setting problem for files (wrong format)

Post by *petermad »

I cannot reproduce this in TC 10.50rc1 x64 - neither with my current wincmd.ini file, nor with a fresh .ini file.

Testet under WIndows 10 and 7.

2jnauth
Can you reproduce it with a fresh ini file?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Total Commander 10.50 RC1 - TOTALCMD64.EXE has date setting problem for files (wrong format)

Post by *nsp »

have you modified CustomDateFormat in wincmd.ini ?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Not confirmed, it should be using the same format as in the file lists.
You can change the format in configuration - Options - Tabstops/Data formats.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
jnauth

Post by *jnauth »

Could identify and solve the problem.

IOn TC seetings, there is a new setting option for "Date Format". This was set up from TC 10.0 configuration as "<Voreinstellung>".

But it looks like that sometimes the date format was not pulled from Windows or wherever (Don`t know where TC is getting the 'Voreinstellung' but most probably the Win 10 setting).

But anyway, after setting up the Date Format in the new config option in TC 10.50 to "DD-MM-YYYY", everything works fine and date is shown correct in the Change Attribute" option.

Thanks everybody for taking a look and helping me out.
Last edited by jnauth on 2022-06-16, 08:53 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2jnauth
But it looks like that sometimes the date format was not pulles from Windows or wherever
If this is still the case for you when you choose <Voreinstellung> -then there is still a bug - it should then work as it did in TC 10.00. Or, could you perhaps have changed the Windows System setting for Short date? Try and run the command intl.cpl from the command line and check you system settings for Short date.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sometimes the Windows settings can contradict themselves, because there are multiple registry entries for date formats. Then it helps to switch to a different format in Windows, apply them, and then switch back to the settings you want.
jnauth

Post by *jnauth »

Windows setting in intl.cpl was still the same as before all the time (TT.MM.JJJJ) and not changed by me.

Tried also now to set to a different format and then back to the TT.MM.JJJJ incl. the "<Voreinstellung>" setting within Total Commander.
But then the format error comes again and within TC the date format ist shown in the Change Attribute option as "JJJJ.MM.DD".

So it really looks like a bug when TC tries to pull the "Voreinstellung" informatrion from the registry and might get it from there sometimes wrong.
But onl with Totalcmd64.exe.

But as I said. I can solve that with changing now within the TC options to TT.MM.JJJJ by myself instead of using the "Voreinstellung"-option there.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2jnauth
What happens if you change the system date format via Windows' "Settings" -> "Time & Language" -> "Related settings" -> "Date, time & regional formatting" -> "Regional format data" -> "Change data formats" -> "Short date" ?
License #524 (1994)
jnauth

Post by *jnauth »

petermad wrote: 2022-06-16, 11:27 UTC 2jnauth
What happens if you change the system date format via Windows' "Settings" -> "Time & Language" -> "Related settings" -> "Date, time & regional formatting" -> "Regional format data" -> "Change data formats" -> "Short date" ?
My Windows date setting (short date) is set already to TT.MM.JJJJ.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Then try as I explained: Change short date to something else, e.g. JJJJ.MM.TT, click Apply, then change it back to TT.MM.JJJJ.
jnauth

Post by *jnauth »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2022-06-17, 07:00 UTC Then try as I explained: Change short date to something else, e.g. JJJJ.MM.TT, click Apply, then change it back to TT.MM.JJJJ.
Tried that again. But changing the date format to another format and then back to the desired TT.MM.JJJJ helps only during the actual TC session.
Once I close TC and restart again, TC offers the date again only in JJJJ.MM.TT format when having the <Voreinstellung> setting.

So it looks that TC gets another date format setting every time after restart and uses that one as the <Voreinstellung> :?:
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, I don't know what's wrong with your system.
All I can recommend now is that you set the date format yourself in
Configuration - Options - Tabstops/Date Formats.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2jnauth
But changing the date format to another format and then back to the desired TT.MM.JJJJ helps only during the actual TC session.
Once I close TC and restart again, TC offers the date again only in JJJJ.MM.TT format when having the <Voreinstellung> setting.
Just a suggestion. After having changed the System date format to another format and then back - then restart the system - maybe that can make your System save the setting correctly.
License #524 (1994)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2jnauth
You write that the 32-bit version is OK and only the 64-bit version is affected. I have compared the code, they use the same function to determine the date format.

Are you perhaps running the 64-bit version with different user rights, e.g. "As administrator" where you have to enter a password? Then the program will use the locale settings of that other user. However, Total Commander should also use the same date format in the file lists, not just in the attributes dialog.