TC will not delete folder

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

alphonse68

TC will not delete folder

Post by *alphonse68 »

Hello all.
I am not sure if this is a bug or if it is a Win 11 thing and not TC because I cannot duplicate it.
The issue is that once in a while, after working and emptying a folder, it will not delete as if there were a file still open.
I have closed all applications and even quit those that remain down by the clock, like Dropbox and GDrive... everything except the AV, but it isn't until I close TC and reopen it that I can delete the folder. In other words, if I close TC first and reopen it, I can delete the folder.
This has happened a few times, not every time.
Any thoughts?

Also, why does Compare Contents show "0 differences found" with some files, but "The two files have the same content" with either one of those and another file?
Hacker

Re: TC will not delete folder

Post by *Hacker »

alphonse68,
Are you perhaps using QuickSearcher eXtended?
You can always use LockHunter to determine what is locking the folder.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

alphonse68 wrote: 2022-06-17, 21:20 UTCAlso, why does Compare Contents show "0 differences found" with some files, but "The two files have the same content" with either one of those and another file?
Usually, the line "0 differences found" is shown when the files have different linebreaks, i.e. one of them has CRLF, the other LF. Hence they're not identical byte for byte, just identical in printable characters, i.e. what a human can see. If TC says "The two files have identical content", it means that these two files are identical also in non-printable characters.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

alphonse68 wrote: 2022-06-17, 21:20 UTC Also, why does Compare Contents show "0 differences found" with some files, but "The two files have the same content" with either one of those and another file?
You can compare two text files saved with different encoding, for example UTF-16
and ANSI. They may contain the same text with "0 differences found", but the are NOT binary identical, they don't have the same (binary) content.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
alphonse68

Post by *alphonse68 »

Hello again.

Roman, I will give it go. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll post my findings next time it happens.

Dalai and Andrzej, thanks for the info... mind set at ease.

Cheers to all.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You seem to have the Google Drive crashpad_handler bug as described here:
viewtopic.php?t=75490
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
alphonse68

Post by *alphonse68 »

Yes, sir, it totally seems like it. I had bad vibes against it since I saw the filename in Task Mgr, but I thought that it was Chrome's since GDrive runs in the background and I hardly think about it. Both panrt and d_vdlinden expressed confusion in that post due to locked files and folders not being inside sync GDrive folders, but as "greedy" as some apps can be or them simply "spying", I can see it happen.
I will try to duplicate the issue activating GDrive first and playing with some dummy files and folders and use the utility LockHunter that Roman suggested.
Thank you, sir, and thank you all for the info provided.
Cheers!
funkymonk

Post by *funkymonk »

TC10.50rc2 x32 dark

After writing the bug report for viewtopic.php?t=77022, I wanted to delete the folder with the screenshots.
TC could delete all files within, but not the folder itself: "... konnten nicht gelöscht werden".

I checked with lockhunter x64 and it found tcmatch.exe to keep the folder locked (QuickSearch eXtended 2.2.7).
I then terminated tcmatch.exe (not TC!) and then TC was immediately able to delete the folder.

Here is my tcmatch.ini:

Code: Select all

[general]
simple_search_activate_char=
regex_search_activate_char=?
leven_search_activate_char=<
separator_char=" "
case_sensitive=0
allow_empty_result=0
use_pinyin=0
preset_activate_char=>
and_separator_char=" "
or_separator_char=|
filter_files_and_folders=3
match_beginning=0
negate_char=!
simple_search_match_beginning_activate_char=^
wdx_separator_char=/
srch_activate_char=*
use_korean=0
[wdx]
debug_output=0
wdx_cache=1000
wdx_groups=
[gui]
override_search=1
invert_result=0
one_line_gui=1
show_presets=1
[wdx64]
wdx_groups=
Maybe that helps...

(Just seen: QuickSearch eXtended 2.2.8 was released some days ago. I will keep an eye on that, since it happens every now and then.)
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

I could reproduce the behavior. When the extended GUI is enabled and when the first quicksearch is triggered from within a folder that is later to be removed it will lock that folder until tcmatch.exe is closed.

I am still puzzled what the trigger is.
funkymonk

Post by *funkymonk »

Thank you for taking care.
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

Update. Version 2.2.9 of QuickSearch eXtended is available.

Version 2.2.9
- Fixed: When the extended GUI was enabled and when the first quicksearch was triggered from within a certain folder, it will lock that folder until tcmatch.exe is closed. Such a folder could not be deleted previously, now it can be deleted.
funkymonk

Post by *funkymonk »

Samuel wrote: 2022-08-23, 09:55 UTC I could reproduce the behavior. When the extended GUI is enabled and when the first quicksearch is triggered from within a folder that is later to be removed it will lock that folder until tcmatch.exe is closed.

I am still puzzled what the trigger is.
I could reproduce the problem with this information ...
Samuel wrote: 2022-08-31, 16:38 UTC Update. Version 2.2.9 of QuickSearch eXtended is available.

Version 2.2.9
- Fixed: When the extended GUI was enabled and when the first quicksearch was triggered from within a certain folder, it will lock that folder until tcmatch.exe is closed. Such a folder could not be deleted previously, now it can be deleted.
... and it seems to be gone with version 2.2.9.

Thank you very much Samuel!
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Samuel,
Thank you! Will let you know if the issue comes up again by any chance.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.