Compare contents - when [..] is selected

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Compare contents - when [..] is selected

Post by *Fla$her »

Damel wrote: 2022-06-23, 20:00 UTCNice to see that TC users frustrated with this issue understand well the root cause.
Understanding the root cause does not solve the problem. The problem is solved by a competent feedback, which for some reason you quickly forgot about, including in the appropriate subforum, which I immediately hinted at above.
Or did you decide to just throw a fishing rod anyhow where and stay whistle in the wind? So you can wait for years...

2Hacker >>>
Politeness will not appear when disrespectfully ignoring questions.
Last edited by Fla$her on 2022-06-23, 22:09 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Moderator message from: Hacker

Guys,
I am sure any well-meant advice can be presented in a polite way.
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
mmm

Post by *mmm »

Damel,
I am not frustrated. The problem you reported is so miniscule that it is not worth it.
I was only interested to see whether you can get things done. Let me step in and push.
mmm

Post by *mmm »

JOUBE,
A classic example of a contradiction.
You are encouraging him to learn the tool; and when he raised a question you wrote a complaint.
mmm

Post by *mmm »

Flasher,
I admit I may be totally off base. Let’s see.
What does GUI have to do with it?
When I need to compare two files, I select the two files by clicking the left mouse button while holding CTRL key down. Then, I go to “Files” – “Compare By Content” menu.
I would call this an interaction with GUI.
Do you know how to compare without executing an internal command?
I select “Compare By Content” menu. I do not execute an internal command myself, let alone pass any parameters; TC does the job for me.

---

Let’s dive deep into the problem reported.
Assumption: The files to compare are located in the same folder. Thus, they are displayed in the same pane.

A) If you select 2 files and run comparison, you will get what you've asked for.

B) If you select 3+ files for whatever reason, TC will compare the two topmost files from selection. All remaining files in the selection fall into oblivion. Please confirm/deny.
Note: I am not complaining (yet); just describing actual implementation observed - TC 10.00 64bit on Windows 10.

C) Suppose you want to compare two topmost files in the pane and you include the [..] in the selection inadvertently. This can happen, we are human.
In this scenario, “Compare By Content” is still enabled and you can open the “Compare contents” form, however, the left side of the form will be empty. If you hit the “Compare” button, you will get a “Left file not found” warning.

What I believe Damel wanted to ask was a bit of improvement here. A pertinent question arises as to how to handle this situation:

Some would like TC to ignore the [..] mark and compare the two true files without blinking an eye.
Others might prefer to disable further action due to unresolved source data and report a decent error message.

I would like to invite your comments,
mmm
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

mmm wrote: 2022-06-24, 07:28 UTCI admit I may be totally off base.
My experience allows me to draw this conclusion. :)
mmm wrote: 2022-06-24, 07:28 UTC When I need to compare two files, I select the two files by clicking the left mouse button while holding CTRL key down. Then, I go to “Files” – “Compare By Content” menu.
I would call this an interaction with GUI.
Now tell us what you will have to do in case of my decision. Is it different there? Is it a problem to create a custom command and add it as a menu item? Same GUI. So I ask, how does your remark address what I have proposed?
mmm wrote: 2022-06-24, 07:28 UTCI select “Compare By Content” menu. I do not execute an internal command myself, let alone pass any parameters; TC does the job for me.
The fact that you use the menu does not negate the fact that when you select it, a command is executed that is written in the mnu file.
In addition, topicstarter does not indicate in any way that it is interested in the menu. Where you will call this or that command from is solely your prerogative. Button, hotkey, item in the main/start/directory menu. No one bothers you to customize TC to your own liking.
If you don't know how to do this yet, read the reference materials.
mmm wrote: 2022-06-24, 07:28 UTCLet’s dive deep into the problem reported.
Why would I do that? I understood the original request perfectly well. Items A and B are not considered here.
mmm wrote: 2022-06-24, 07:28 UTCSome would like TC to ignore the [..] mark and compare the two true files without blinking an eye.
Read the first post carefully. It offers directory synchronization, not ignoring.
Last edited by Fla$her on 2022-06-24, 14:47 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

mmm wrote: 2022-06-24, 07:28 UTC B) If you select 3+ files for whatever reason, TC will compare the two topmost files from selection. All remaining files in the selection fall into oblivion.

C) Suppose you want to compare two topmost files in the pane and you include the [..] in the selection inadvertently. This can happen, we are human.
In this scenario, “Compare By Content” is still enabled and you can open the “Compare contents” form, however, the left side of the form will be empty. If you hit the “Compare” button, you will get a “Left file not found” warning.

What I believe Damel wanted to ask was a bit of improvement here. A pertinent question arises as to how to handle this situation:

Some would like TC to ignore the [..] mark and compare the two true files without blinking an eye.
Others might prefer to disable further action due to unresolved source data and report a decent error message.
I think you worded it clearly. It certainly could be improved.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

white wrote: 2022-06-24, 14:33 UTC
mmm wrote: 2022-06-24, 07:28 UTCB) If you select 3+ files for whatever reason, TC will compare the two topmost files from selection. All remaining files in the selection fall into oblivion.
I think you worded it clearly. It certainly could be improved.
How?
Overquoting is evil! 👎
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

2Fla$her
You're not quoting me right.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

white wrote: 2022-06-24, 16:21 UTCYou're not quoting me right.
You wrong. I have fully quoted your words and have chosen the point you quoted that interests me.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
Damel

Post by *Damel »

Proposed solution:

Erase all [..] from the selection for Compare by content function.

If Compare/Synchronize directories would be seen as a clever call for the [..] then add:
Call of Compare by content function with the cursor on [..] run Compare/Synchronize directories function.
The best solution:
1. format C:
2. install TotalCmd
3. install Windows (optionally)
Damel

Post by *Damel »

Reason:

The [..] are not valid inputs for Compare FILES function bc they are not files.
The best solution:
1. format C:
2. install TotalCmd
3. install Windows (optionally)
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

And if a person needs to add paths from the clipboard to empty fields? It's not all so clear-cut.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
mmm

Post by *mmm »

Having slept on the issue for a couple of days I take a deep breath and come up with my

Proposal:
On behalf of users from regulated industries /automotive, aerospace/ I would like to call for introducing a rigorous selection validation before running the Compare-By-Content job.

Rationale:
Any selection other than 2 regular files might indicate a hasty user action that is highly avoidable in these branches. The problem with 3+ files selected by mistake might lead to false positive if TC delivers result for files the user did not intend to compare. I find this situation potentially dangerous and TC might/should help avoid this type of human error.

Note:
Considering the very long history of current implementation that nobody apparently reported as an issue the newly-added validation might be optional/configurable.

Your thoughts?
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

In general, there are many pitfalls.
1. If 2 folders are selected in source panel, then what?
2. If 1 folder and 1 file are selected in source panel, then what?
3. If 2 folders and 1 file are selected in source panel, then what?
4. If 1 folder and 2 files are selected in source panel, then what?
5. If 1 folder is selected in source panel and 1 folder in target, then what?
6. If there is no selection anywhere, but there are cursors on folders in both panels, then what?
7. If a folder is highlighted and cursor is on the file, then what?
8. If a folder is selected in source panel and a file is selected in target, then what?
9. If a file is selected in source panel and a folder is selected in target, then what?
10. If selected .. in source panel, and the file in target, then what?
11. If a file is selected in source panel, a .. in target, then what?
12. If selected .. in source panel, and the folder in target, then what?
13. If a folder is selected in source panel, and .. in target, then what?
Overquoting is evil! 👎